[MyAppleMenu] Mar 2, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 2 21:05:05 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

'Belief Brands' (Christian Science Monitor)
<http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2001/03/02/text/p10s3.html>
When they buy an Apple computer, they buy into the company's philosophy - not to show off, but just for their well-being.

Sources: Soft Spots Remain in Apple's New OS (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4997526-0.html?tag=owv>
Sources familiar with the first ground-up rewrite of Apple Computer's operating system since the Mac's debut in 1984 said the initial version will not be able to play or write DVDs. Other gaps, such as sleep problems with Mac laptops, also will limit the new OS' usefulness to certain users--although none rise to the level of aggravation that the lack of DVD support is likely to cause.

Animating A Brave Little Paper Clip (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/02/paperclip/>
But what if that clip aspired to more than fastening a sheaf of papers? What if it decided to take a leap into the larger world beyond the office supply shelf? That is the premise of Paper Clips, a 10-minute film due to premiere on the Internet soon from Mac-centric production company Creative Forces.

Mac Is Back In Town (New York Post)
<http://www.nypost.com/technology/23457.htm>
My love affair with the Cube, the sexy Apple computer, has been re-ignited. But at a price. I just got a gander of Apple's funky new product line, which made its New York debut yesterday and has begun shipping.

PowerBook G4 Is A Versatile Companion (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20010301/t000018100.html>
The PowerBook G4 is a sublime computer, and mobile professionals will find few challenges it can't meet. Will it attract Windows users? Perhaps, but the challenge Apple faces on that front was illustrated by a brief exchange I had with a fellow airline passenger. As he admired the G4, I told him it was Apple's newest PowerBook. He paused for a moment and asked, "Does Dell sell those?"

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Do You Need A New, Improved Operating System? (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11782-2001Mar1.html>
If you've been comfortable with the operating system you've been using on your old computer -- whether it's Windows or the Mac OS -- get ready to be made uncomfortable.

HP Launches Flatbed Scanner Line (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/25/0302hpflats.html>

Apple Offers New 733 MHz PowerMac G4 Model For US$3099 (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/03/02.11.shtml>
Special Offer is the newest addition to that list, and it is a 733 MHz PowerMac G4 with a CD-RW drive instead of the SuperDrive, and is priced at US$3099. It includes a GeForce2MX video card (as opposed to the newly announced GeForce3 card), a 60 GB hard drive, and 256 MB of RAM.

Kawasaki Cools Down Attacks Of Turning 'Blue' (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0103/02.kawasaki.shtml>
"I'm getting a lot of hate e-mail because of this crazy situation, so I guess people need to know what really happened," Kawasaki told MacUser UK magazine. "The guys who reported this in the first place never even bothered to contact me to find out what happened."

'Belief Brands' (Christian Science Monitor)
<http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2001/03/02/text/p10s3.html>
When they buy an Apple computer, they buy into the company's philosophy - not to show off, but just for their well-being.

Sources: Soft Spots Remain in Apple's New OS (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4997526-0.html?tag=owv>
Sources familiar with the first ground-up rewrite of Apple Computer's operating system since the Mac's debut in 1984 said the initial version will not be able to play or write DVDs. Other gaps, such as sleep problems with Mac laptops, also will limit the new OS' usefulness to certain users--although none rise to the level of aggravation that the lack of DVD support is likely to cause.

A Universe Unfolds (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/25/0302threedthree.html>
Long-suffering users of the Electric Image Animation System can now lay down their copies of "Waiting for Godot." Electric Image: Universe, the much-delayed upgrade to the high-end 3-D graphics software, is finally shipping on the Mac.

High-End Cube Delayed; GeForce2 MX Backlog At Fault (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0103/02.cube.shtml>
Apple dealers who spoke to MacCentral confirm the delays and report being told by Apple representatives the reason is due to a backlog of the Nvidia graphics card.

PowerBook Keeps Order In The Court (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/smallbusiness/stories/mainejudge/>
Maine has fewer judges per capita than any other state. Since there aren’t enough judges to staff every courthouse in this vast state, judges are often on the road, travelling to remote courthouses to hear cases with a trusted companion — a Macintosh PowerBook.

The State Of Inside Mac Games (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=2231>
Since we started IMG back in 1993, our number one goal has always been to help grow the Mac games community. And I think, in our own way, we've been able to do just that.

Animating A Brave Little Paper Clip (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/02/paperclip/>
But what if that clip aspired to more than fastening a sheaf of papers? What if it decided to take a leap into the larger world beyond the office supply shelf? That is the premise of Paper Clips, a 10-minute film due to premiere on the Internet soon from Mac-centric production company Creative Forces.

Mac Is Back In Town (New York Post)
<http://www.nypost.com/technology/23457.htm>
My love affair with the Cube, the sexy Apple computer, has been re-ignited. But at a price. I just got a gander of Apple's funky new product line, which made its New York debut yesterday and has begun shipping.

Dealers See A Need For Speed (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/25/0301dealers.html>
Mac resellers are busy putting Apple's new iMacs on the shelves, but pro customers are calling for faster performance and dual-processing capabilities as dealers await shipments of the company's SuperDrive-equipped Power Macs.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Mac: The Original 'Windows Extreme' (CCMag Online)
<http://www.gospelcom.net/ccmag/online/mac/mac6.html>
I think Apple and Steve Jobs are happy now being a niche player in the world of computers. As I looked through clippings, brochures and other items from the dawning of the Mac era, I couldn't help but thing how things could have been different if there were more Macs in the world than Windows-based machines.

Arrrgh! Sabotaged By MS Word Again (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/03/20010302131920.shtml>
This latest skirmish of course does nothing to convince me to abandon my personal and provisional boycott of Microsoft software on my hard drive.

That 70s iMac (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/archive/010302.html>

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Even Windows Users Will Love Apple's New PowerBook (Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/837152>
While each generation of PowerBook portable Macs has been better and faster than the one before it, this time Apple has made a quantum leap forward. The new PowerBook G4 is a unique notebook computer even Windows users will lust for.

Which Is Faster, A G4/733 Or Dual G4/533? (Bare Feats)
<http://www.barefeats.com/G4733.htm>

Four Popular Mac Email Clients Compared (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/mooresviews/email.shtml>
The Mac platform is graced with a pretty decent selection of email clients, and there should be one to suit almost everyone's taste.

Powerbook Drop Test (ArtificialCheese.com)
<http://www.artificialcheese.com/articles/february01/powerbook/>
Apple doesn't tell you that not only is the machine slick, it's built like a rock.

Apple's iTunes Doesn't Disappoint (Associated Press)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010301/tc/tech_test_itunes_2.html>
The interface is simple and intuitive, without any of the visual attractiveness of programs like MusicMatch Inc.'s Jukebox. What's impressive is the file management and the CD burning speed.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Do You Need A New, Improved Operating System? (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11782-2001Mar1.html>
If you've been comfortable with the operating system you've been using on your old computer -- whether it's Windows or the Mac OS -- get ready to be made uncomfortable.

Microsoft Is Cocky After Hearings Suggest It Won't Be Broken Up (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/538066.asp>
There is little evidence that Microsoft curbed its aggressive practices even after a trial court last year ordered a company breakup and harsh conduct restrictions, which were stayed pending appeal. “They always claimed they did nothing wrong, and I think they’ve acted accordingly,” says David Smith, an analyst at Gartner Inc.

Office XP To Ship Just Under The Wire (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4993592-0.html?tag=owv>
Nothing like cutting it close: It appears that Microsoft is going to make its target shipping date for Office XP.

Intel: We're Ready For P2P (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2691368,00.html>
Peer-to-peer computing promises to revamp the software industry but could also help jump-start some of the plodding segments of the PC industry, Intel's chief technology officer said Wednesday.

Analysts Say Intel Proposal Could Split PC Industry (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4995638.html?tag=lh>
Intel executives are calling for a dramatic overhaul in the innards of PCs, but analysts fear the chipmaker's new technology could split the industry.

Microsoft Admits To Windows 2000 Glitch (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1118421>
The glitch affects servers and desktops alike, and may allow an attacker to execute malicious code by way of a buffer overflow type attack.

Can Microsoft Change Its Spots? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2691449,00.html>
Some very powerful interests in Silicon Valley would like nothing better than to see Microsoft crippled. The big question is whether Microsoft will give the "Bill is Satan" crowd another chance to pounce on its mistakes.

Intel Itanium To Ship Next Quarter (Computer Reseller News)
<http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=24273>
Intel hopes upbeat news on its IA-64 platform will start its worldwide developer forum off on a good note Tuesday.

Windows ME: Smarter, More Stable, Easier To Use (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20010301/t000018101.html>
Windows Millennium Edition has the same basic look and feel as Windows 98, but Microsoft's most recent home operating system offers helpful new features that make it more stable than previous versions.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

MS To Release 'Jump To .Net' (Newsbytes)
<http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/162636.html>
During the first half of current year, Microsoft India Development Centre (IDC) expects to complete the beta testing of "JUMP to .NET," the Java user migration path to Microsoft .Net and release it in the second half.

Official: Microsoft Is The Net's Biggest Bugger (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/17316.html>
Microsoft is the biggest bugger in the IT industry. Or to be more precise, its small business portal linkexchange.com (now called bCentral)is the biggest user of Web bugs, according to a survey by Securityspace.com, and available here.

Do You Need A New, Improved Operating System? (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11782-2001Mar1.html>
If you've been comfortable with the operating system you've been using on your old computer -- whether it's Windows or the Mac OS -- get ready to be made uncomfortable.

Microsoft Woos Former IBM Software Exec (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-5006604-0.html?tag=owv>

Gateway's Attempt to Fatten The Cow Shocks Analysts (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5000853.html?tag=owv>
Gateway, which is known for its cowhide logo, is backing away from lucrative services and software in favor of refocusing on computer sales, an area that recently has not made a dime for the company.

Intel To Integrate USB, Wireless Into P4 Chipsets (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/17281.html>
Intel will add native USB 2.0 support to its PC system chipsets early next year, the company's desktop products group chief, Louis Burns, promised today. And wireless 802.11 support will follow around a year later, he pledged.

Windows: The Unstoppable OS? (It-Analysis.com)
<http://www.it-analysis.com/01-03-01-2.html>
The problem, or not depending on your perspective, with Microsoft is its got reach. Its so embedded in the hearts and minds of users, so entrenched in the supply chain of many hardware developers and software developers that, even when the going gets tough, it can take a long time to shake off this particularly persistent Rottweiller.

Microsoft Shifts WebTV Oversight To Redmond (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4997557.html?tag=lh>
Confirming a long-running rumor, Microsoft said Thursday it is shifting management of its WebTV service to its MSN unit.

Microsoft Is Cocky After Hearings Suggest It Won't Be Broken Up (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/538066.asp>
There is little evidence that Microsoft curbed its aggressive practices even after a trial court last year ordered a company breakup and harsh conduct restrictions, which were stayed pending appeal. “They always claimed they did nothing wrong, and I think they’ve acted accordingly,” says David Smith, an analyst at Gartner Inc.

Office XP To Ship Just Under The Wire (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4993592-0.html?tag=owv>
Nothing like cutting it close: It appears that Microsoft is going to make its target shipping date for Office XP.

PC "Overclockers" Risk Danger For Faster Machines (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4977288-0.html?tag=owv>

Intel: We're Ready For P2P (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2691368,00.html>
Peer-to-peer computing promises to revamp the software industry but could also help jump-start some of the plodding segments of the PC industry, Intel's chief technology officer said Wednesday.

Microsoft Judge's Comments Are An Issue (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/community/pod/2001/010301.htm>

Pentium III To Fade From Desktops (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4994134.html?tag=lh>
The Pentium III will fade out of desktops this year, an accelerated exit that could rearrange the chessboard in the processor world.

Analysts Say Intel Proposal Could Split PC Industry (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4995638.html?tag=lh>
Intel executives are calling for a dramatic overhaul in the innards of PCs, but analysts fear the chipmaker's new technology could split the industry.

Microsoft Admits To Windows 2000 Glitch (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1118421>
The glitch affects servers and desktops alike, and may allow an attacker to execute malicious code by way of a buffer overflow type attack.

Court Creates Illusion Of Microsoft Upswing (Red Herring)
<http://www.herring.com/index.asp?layout=story&channel=20000002&doc_id=460018046>

Can Microsoft Change Its Spots? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2691449,00.html>
Some very powerful interests in Silicon Valley would like nothing better than to see Microsoft crippled. The big question is whether Microsoft will give the "Bill is Satan" crowd another chance to pounce on its mistakes.

Intel Itanium To Ship Next Quarter (Computer Reseller News)
<http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=24273>
Intel hopes upbeat news on its IA-64 platform will start its worldwide developer forum off on a good note Tuesday.

Microsoft Appeal Judges Used Windows, Explorer (Associated Press)
<http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/technology/article/0,1299,DRMN_49_68977,00.html>

No Winners In Microsoft Case (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20010301/t000018085.html>

Windows ME: Smarter, More Stable, Easier To Use (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20010301/t000018101.html>
Windows Millennium Edition has the same basic look and feel as Windows 98, but Microsoft's most recent home operating system offers helpful new features that make it more stable than previous versions.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

New Economy Shakeout Is Old Story (Knowledge at Wharton)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-201-4992841-0.html?tag=lh>
Still wondering why the dot-com bubble burst? And what’s going to happen to all those smaller bubbles, the approximately 12,000 surviving dot-coms, many of them afloat solely on their last round of financing?

Net Fans Switch On PC, Not TV (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4997187.html?tag=owv>
Web surfers are spending less time watching television, according to a survey released Thursday, which showed that people may cut out up to 10 hours of television a week after hooking up online access.

VeriSign Concedes .Net Loss For .Com Control (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4990190.html?tag=lh>
In an effort to offset its dwindling power over domain name registrations, VeriSign said Thursday that it has agreed to relinquish full control over the .org and .net suffixes to maintain rights to its registry for the .com domain.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

New Economy Shakeout Is Old Story (Knowledge at Wharton)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-201-4992841-0.html?tag=lh>
Still wondering why the dot-com bubble burst? And what’s going to happen to all those smaller bubbles, the approximately 12,000 surviving dot-coms, many of them afloat solely on their last round of financing?

trimming Amazon, Adding To eBay (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulebreaker/2001/rulebreaker010302.htm>

Official: Microsoft Is The Net's Biggest Bugger (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/17316.html>
Microsoft is the biggest bugger in the IT industry. Or to be more precise, its small business portal linkexchange.com (now called bCentral)is the biggest user of Web bugs, according to a survey by Securityspace.com, and available here.

Aimster: Wouldn't Swap Spots With Napster (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2692294,00.html>
As Napster attempts to cooperate with record labels by offering to police music piracy on its service, at least one alternative file-swapping network is twisting itself into legal contortions in a bid to escape a similar fate.

The World Waits For 3G Wireless (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-201-5006020-0.html?tag=owv>

Napster To Voluntarily Halt Song Trades (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5005980.html?tag=owv>
Napster fans this weekend may be unable to find thousands of songs as the company voluntarily removes titles in anticipation of a court order that could demand stronger remedies.

Advertisements On Government Web Sites? (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5005421.html?tag=owv>
The banner advertisements found on so many commercial Internet sites are starting to make inroads into the previously ad-free zones of government Web sites.

P2P Needs Compelling Applications (Meta Group)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4994891-0.html?tag=owv>
P2P has at least three major drawbacks that will limit its adoption. First, it is costly. Second, it raises significant security and management issues. Third, and most important, it does not seem to have any compelling business applications.

Net Fans Switch On PC, Not TV (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4997187.html?tag=owv>
Web surfers are spending less time watching television, according to a survey released Thursday, which showed that people may cut out up to 10 hours of television a week after hooking up online access.

Napster Fees Unlikely To Burst Blank-CD Bubble (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4992485.html?tag=lh>
Free songs from Napster may soon be history, but that probably won't stop 23-year-old Ron Yates from spending more than $100 a year on recordable CDs.

Court Could Issue Napster Shutdown Order Friday (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-4993199.html?tag=owv>
Time is running out for music-swapping company Napster, which faces the possibility of a court order effectively shutting its service down as soon as Friday.

If You Want To Design Your Own Web Page, You've Got To Crack The HTML Code (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20010301/t000018094.html>

Intel: We're Ready For P2P (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2691368,00.html>
Peer-to-peer computing promises to revamp the software industry but could also help jump-start some of the plodding segments of the PC industry, Intel's chief technology officer said Wednesday.

VeriSign Concedes .Net Loss For .Com Control (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4990190.html?tag=lh>
In an effort to offset its dwindling power over domain name registrations, VeriSign said Thursday that it has agreed to relinquish full control over the .org and .net suffixes to maintain rights to its registry for the .com domain.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Big Blue Spreads Linux Love With New Ads (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5005017.html?tag=owv>
IBM is shaking off more of its starch and stodginess in a new advertising campaign that finds the world's largest computer maker embracing a plump, web-footed marine bird.

Linux Challenge To Microsoft Grip In China Finds Few Takers (Bloomberg)
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Top%20Financial%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_topfin&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99.ht&s2=blk&bt=ad_position1_topfin&middle=ad_frame2_topfin&s=AOp7xPxWyTGludXgg>
Yu Kai, a salesman at one of Beijing's biggest computer stores, is all in favor of using homegrown software to break Microsoft Corp.'s dominance in China - - if only someone could show him how it works.

Memo To Microsoft: Stop Attacking Linux (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/7868.html>
The best thing Microsoft can do is welcome the coming flood. Open up its technologies. Remove the "free pair of handcuffs" that comes included with all of their products. Improve the quality and performance of their products. Stop the strategy of "vendor lock-in."

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

HP To Offer Jornada On Linux? (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2692133,00.html>
Hewlett-Packard's Jornada palmtops may drop Microsoft's Windows-based Pocket PC platform in favour of Linux or Palm OS, according to Iain Morris, the new head of HP's recently formed Embedded and Personal Systems group.

IBM Is Putting On The (Linux) Tux (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,42156,00.html>
Staid, old IBM isn't exactly getting hip, but it is going super-geek.

[...]

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Is Top-Up Best Way Of Distributing 'Rewards'? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,27165,00.html?>
Critics ask if there are better channels to distribute the money.

Send Bills Out First, Power Supply (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,27277,00.html?>
Wilkie Ong Keng Soon: It appears to me that Power Supply is anxious to close the book on its episode of late billing by making households pay up in the shortest possible time.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

SCV Delays Due To Lack Of Global Bandwidth (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,26957,00.html?>
Timothy Lai: Even though SCV MaxOnline might have plenty of local bandwidth, it does not have sufficient international bandwidth to meet peak-hour demand.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Watchdog Raps Radio Stations For Crude Jokes (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,27225,00.html?>
Radio stations Class 95 and Perfect 10 have come in for some flak from a broadcasting watchdog for putting crude jokes on air during their morning shows.

Happy Zouk Birthday (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,26875,00.html?>
Singapore's favourite warehouse warhorse turns 10 today. It's emerged from a decade of boom and bust, more determined than ever to party on.