[MyAppleMenu] Jun 23, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 23 21:05:02 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

iBook, Once Tested, Shows Touch Of Elegance (Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/950095>
I've had one for a month now. And, having torture-tested it daily, I'm even more enthusiastic.

Wozniak's Fireside Chat (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0106/22.woz.shtml>
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak gave his much-anticipated fireside chat last night at the annual MacHack conference in Dearborn, MI. Steve 'Woz' Wozniak talked about Apple, his children, his history at Apple and his many, many pranks.

Schiller, Casanova Discuss QuickTime With MacCentral (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0106/22.interview.shtml>
Schiller thinks that the perception that QT is falling behind overlooks several important developments.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

The general Semantics Of Symantec (WorldlyInvestor.com)
<http://www.worldlyinvestor.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23822>
A review of Symantec's product releases indicates it is in a predictable trough between major product generations, primarily because both Microsoft consumer version of the Windows operating system will be upgraded later this year and Apple Computer recently upgraded its Macintosh operating system.

Teens' Photos Tell Stadium Story (Denver Post)
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,86%257E49504,00.html>
The Metropolitan Football Stadium District gathered eight teenagers in December 1999, armed them with cameras and told them to document the construction of the $400.8 million project.

Despiritualized: Lupine Howl (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/06/lupinehowl/>
Sean Cook, Mike Mooney and Damon Reece bit the bullet when they were collectively canned in 1999 from the live-act psychedelic rock phenomenon known as Spiritualized. But they came back quickly in 2001 like a pack of wolves, releasing their first full-length LP on the Beggars Banquet label as Lupine Howl.

Digitizing The Dalai Lama (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/06/dalailama/>
Who would think that the demise of an American dot-com would lead to a project to archive the teachings of one of the world's great spiritual leaders?

OS X System Wide Scripting Language Available (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/06/22.11.shtml>

Adobe On OS X And Macworld New York (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0106/22.adobe.shtml>
Adobe Systems Inc. confirmed for MacCentral today that the company would not be an exhibitor at the upcoming Macworld Expo in New York.

Wozniak's Fireside Chat (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0106/22.woz.shtml>
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak gave his much-anticipated fireside chat last night at the annual MacHack conference in Dearborn, MI. Steve 'Woz' Wozniak talked about Apple, his children, his history at Apple and his many, many pranks.

Schiller, Casanova Discuss QuickTime With MacCentral (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0106/22.interview.shtml>
Schiller thinks that the perception that QT is falling behind overlooks several important developments.

Steve Jobs Among World's Richest People (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=7433>

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

A Mac Family Reunion (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/06/21/ihnatko.html>
When these people wake up in the morning, they have an excuse to roll over and slap the snooze bar -- they've already sort of justified their existence. At least once in their lives, they helped to birth something truly great, something that knocked the world on its ear and left it in a better shape.

Apple's HyperCard: How Arthur Abandoned Excalibur (osOpinion)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nf/20010622/tc/11489_1.html>
Now is the time for Apple to wield that sword again and perhaps inspire some other 11-year-old to start creating the next Myst.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Should I Trade My PC For A Key Chain? (ZDNet AnchorDesk)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2779260,00.html>
There have been many times I have carried a computer around just to make sure I had access to some files. With DiskOnKey I now have an alternative.

iBook, Once Tested, Shows Touch Of Elegance (Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/950095>
I've had one for a month now. And, having torture-tested it daily, I'm even more enthusiastic.

Escape From Monkey Island (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/07/opinion/gameroom.html>
If you find the adventure genre appealing and have a bit o' the pirate in ye, then set sail for Monkey Island, by hook or by crook.

2-Minute Drill (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/07/reviews/2minute.html>
With repeating questions, no multiplayer mode, and poor use of audio, 2-Minute Drill is a weak sports-trivia game and a pale imitation of its TV counterpart.

Consumer Portables Break barriers In Price, Features, Excitement (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/08/reviews/ibooks.html>
The new iBook is a small wonder -- a beautifully crafted compromise that is true to Apple's philosophy of delivering feature-complete notebooks at an exceptional price.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

If Windows XP Worth Wait, Why Buy A PC Now? (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-6355024-0.html?tag=ats>
Microsoft Corp's Windows XP operating system hits stores October 25, raising high hopes for sales in the flagging personal computer industry -- but also fears that no one will buy a PC ahead of the rejuvenated operating systems' release.

MS Hacked Once, Twice, Three, FOUR Times (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/19915.html>
Notorious hacker Prime Suspectz has gone on a cracking spree against Microsoft servers that has resulted in the defacement of FOUR of the software giant's sites.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Inside Intel's Current Mindset (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/exec/0,1370,44735,00.html>
As far as Intel CEO Craig Barrett is concerned, there are plenty of reasons to be cheerful at the moment, even if the world's biggest microchip maker is looking at slow sales and profit warnings.

Transmeta To Keep 'Em Coming (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093172,00.html>
Transmeta's current chips aren't selling as well as expected, but the upstart is still moving ahead on future processors.

The general Semantics Of Symantec (WorldlyInvestor.com)
<http://www.worldlyinvestor.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23822>
A review of Symantec's product releases indicates it is in a predictable trough between major product generations, primarily because both Microsoft consumer version of the Windows operating system will be upgraded later this year and Apple Computer recently upgraded its Macintosh operating system.

Should I Trade My PC For A Key Chain? (ZDNet AnchorDesk)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2779260,00.html>
There have been many times I have carried a computer around just to make sure I had access to some files. With DiskOnKey I now have an alternative.

Microsoft To Shutter ListBot Mailing Service (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6355532.html?tag=owv>
The Redmond, Wash.-based company on Thursday warned subscribers to the ListBot electronic mailing-list management service that it will be disabled Aug. 6. Customers have until Aug. 20 to retrieve existing data.

Hackedrs Wait To Exploit MS Server Flaw (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093162,00.html>
System administrators who have delayed patching the latest security hole in Microsoft's Web server software should think again, security experts said Friday.

If Windows XP Worth Wait, Why Buy A PC Now? (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-6355024-0.html?tag=ats>
Microsoft Corp's Windows XP operating system hits stores October 25, raising high hopes for sales in the flagging personal computer industry -- but also fears that no one will buy a PC ahead of the rejuvenated operating systems' release.

Microsoft License Spurns Open Source (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6352301.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft lawyers have joined the company's campaign against open-source software, restricting how developers may use what it terms "viral software" in connection with Microsoft programming tools.

MS Hacked Once, Twice, Three, FOUR Times (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/19915.html>
Notorious hacker Prime Suspectz has gone on a cracking spree against Microsoft servers that has resulted in the defacement of FOUR of the software giant's sites.

Microsoft: Audit, Or Else There's Trouble (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2779270,00.html>
In its continuing jihad against software piracy, Microsoft's legal department has sent letters to corporate customers demanding they conduct internal audits of their software licenses and submit their findings within 30 days to the software giant.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Tool Feeds Ads To Your E-Mails (ZDNet Australia)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093109,00.html>
Melbourne-based online marketing company, Reva Networks, is currently promoting a new e-mail technology--Admail--that allows online advertisers to intercept e-mail messages as they enter the mail server and "wrap" them in advertising content tailored to the recipient's demographic profile.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Group Seeks To Block Racist Web Site (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6359241.html?tag=lh>
A French anti-racism group is asking for an injunction to block access to a neo-Nazi U.S. Web portal, a move set to fuel a running debate about Internet controls.

Tool Feeds Ads To Your E-Mails (ZDNet Australia)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093109,00.html>
Melbourne-based online marketing company, Reva Networks, is currently promoting a new e-mail technology--Admail--that allows online advertisers to intercept e-mail messages as they enter the mail server and "wrap" them in advertising content tailored to the recipient's demographic profile.

Global Treaty -- Threat To The Net? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093109,00.html>
International policy-makers this week ended a round of talks aimed at setting common rules affecting online trade and commerce, but they made little progress in bridging divisions that threaten to delay a pact.

Napster Lifts Some Song-Swapping Limits (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6355927.html?tag=owv>
Napster has released a new version of its software that allows customers to find many songs that recently disappeared from its file-swapping service.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Microsoft License Spurns Open Source (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6352301.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft lawyers have joined the company's campaign against open-source software, restricting how developers may use what it terms "viral software" in connection with Microsoft programming tools.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Last Remaining Linux IPO Withdrawn (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6352910.html?tag=owv>
LynuxWorks, the last remaining company that had hoped to ride the Linux craze to an initial public offering, has withdrawn its plans to go public.

Red Hat Sought Help In Database Plan (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6354466.html?tag=owv>
Red Hat is preparing to launch an open-source database product, but its decision to develop the project on its own came only after another company rebuffed its request for help.

Microsoft License Spurns Open Source (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6352301.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft lawyers have joined the company's campaign against open-source software, restricting how developers may use what it terms "viral software" in connection with Microsoft programming tools.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Art Not Forsaken For MRT (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,52869,00.html?>
Care will be taken in the building of the Museum MRT station to prevent a repeat of the 'Chinatown syndrome'.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Port Rivalry Between Singapore And Hong Kong Heats Up (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010623/3/159ey.html>
The rivalry between Hong Kong and Singapore port operators is set to intensify as both look to expand operations in southern China, analysts say.

DBS Bids $9.4b For OUB After Talks Fail To Yield Pact (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,12433,00.html?>

Art Not Forsaken For MRT (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,52869,00.html?>
Care will be taken in the building of the Museum MRT station to prevent a repeat of the 'Chinatown syndrome'.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Its Upgrade Time! (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/news200106a.html#deals>
>From now till the end of October, you have a host of great offers from Apple to choose from and if you were thinking of upgrading your Mac or getting a new one, now would most probably be the time.

Hi-Tech Upgrade For HDB Flats (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,52892,00.html?>
Homes to become information hubs thanks to flexibility provided by new cabling systems and phone lines.