[MyAppleMenu] Jun 11, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 11 21:05:03 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

An iBook Is The Apple Of My Eye (Independent)
<http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/features/story.jsp?story=77309>
One day, all portable computers will be made this way. But the chances are that, by then, Apple will have moved on once again.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

eKiosk 1.1 Provides 'Internet Kiosk' For Macs (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0106/11.ekiosk.shtml>
You can use it to control the look and functions of Internet Explorer, block access to the Finder, block CD-ROM usage, and hide the Menu bar. You can delete all downloading files.

OS X Backup Utility Released (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/06/11.2.shtml>

Pixar's New Digs Coddle Animators, Writers And Tech Heads (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/11/technology/11PIXA.html>
Steve Jobs stood just inside the main entrance to Pixar Animation Studios, gazing across the broad atrium, flanked by sandblasted-steel bridges, that forms the main artery of the building. Dozens of Pixar's 550 workers - animators, computer technicians, writers, accountants - bustled around him, chatting, listening to music on earphones, some riding metallic scooters.

Is an Apple 'eRing' in our Future? (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11120.html>
Being a diehard Apple aficionado, I thought it would be fun to play armchair CEO for a day and <a href="http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11120.html">design a digital device</a> that takes advantage of an upcoming new streaming video mobile communications technology called 3G, while using Apple's sense of style, simplicity and core strengths in mind. I've created a downloadable blueprint and PhotoShop-generated color composite of my design which I've since titled the 'eRing'

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

The Coming Flat Panel iMac (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/imac/01/fpimac.html>
I'm not saying the new flat panel iMac will look like a thicker Studio Display, only that this is something Apple could release at Macworld Expo in July.

Value And Panhandling (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/01/0611.html>
The problem isn't the donations; it's Schultz's paradigm. We should either be a commercial site that survives on ad income or a noncommercial site that survives on donations. Black or white, but not gray.

Is an Apple 'eRing' in our Future? (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11120.html>
Being a diehard Apple aficionado, I thought it would be fun to play armchair CEO for a day and <a href="http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11120.html">design a digital device</a> that takes advantage of an upcoming new streaming video mobile communications technology called 3G, while using Apple's sense of style, simplicity and core strengths in mind. I've created a downloadable blueprint and PhotoShop-generated color composite of my design which I've since titled the 'eRing'

The Magical Macrimination Tour (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/oped/Macrimination/archives/macrimination05.html>
The fact that so many people spend so much time thinking about the fact that Macs "suck" is what truly sucks. And it saddens me greatly.

The Truth About Web Advertising -- Part One (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/oped/Editorials/Archives/donations01.html>
What I am saying is that if a site is to promote donations it must touch a reader in deeper ways, and if necessary bring the human condition to bare in what it produces.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Mac OS X Little Black Book (Macs Only!)
<http://www.macsonly.com/mosxlbb.html>
Mac OS X Little Black Book is perfect for the intermediate user transitioning to Mac OS X. However, I think it falls short for systems administrators in all situations except for very simple ones because of its lack of depth with UNIX and the applications that a Mac OS X user will need to work with in a networked environment.

An iBook Is The Apple Of My Eye (Independent)
<http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/features/story.jsp?story=77309>
One day, all portable computers will be made this way. But the chances are that, by then, Apple will have moved on once again.

Digital Age Babies Get With The Program (Baltimore Sun)
<http://www.ljworld.com/section/livinglead/story/55659>

Web Is Cheap, Easy Way To Listen In On The World (Gannett News Service)
<http://www.starnews.com/print/articles/radio11.html>
With thousands of stations worldwide to choose from, Internet radio is a gold mine of popular and obscure music and other content all just a few clicks away.

Is an Apple 'eRing' in our Future? (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11120.html>
Being a diehard Apple aficionado, I thought it would be fun to play armchair CEO for a day and <a href="http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11120.html">design a digital device</a> that takes advantage of an upcoming new streaming video mobile communications technology called 3G, while using Apple's sense of style, simplicity and core strengths in mind. I've created a downloadable blueprint and PhotoShop-generated color composite of my design which I've since titled the 'eRing'

Teacdher Tools 5: Teachers Still Love "Free!" (View From The Classroom)
<http://www.mathdittos2.com/columns/view/v010611.html>

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Big Numbers Don't Check Out In Microsoft Money (BugNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2769350,00.html>
A printer template bug may cause large checks to bounce at the bank.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Microsoft Back On Attack (eWEEK)
<http://www8.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2771840,00.html>
The kinder, gentler face that Microsoft Corp. put on after last year's landmark court decision to split up the company seems to have all but disappeared, as the company has stepped up its software bundling efforts and its campaign against Linux.

Messaging: Killer App For Windows XP? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5092278,00.html>
Advanced instant-messaging technology could help Microsoft break a string of mediocre upgrade cycles to its ubiquitous operating system, analysts say.

On Wall Street, Jury Still Out On Intel (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6242025.html?tag=lh>
Intel's business-as-usual second-quarter forecast was supposed to be a good thing, but it's too early to be so sure, analysts say.

Big Numbers Don't Check Out In Microsoft Money (BugNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2769350,00.html>
A printer template bug may cause large checks to bounce at the bank.

Are Smart Tags Part Of An MS Plot? (Hint: The WSJ Is Wrong!) (ZDNet AnchorDesk)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2771967,00.html>
Before you join Walt's camp of conspiracy theorists, you need to understand what Smart Tags really are, how they work, and what they do.

Hot New Products Kick-Start 'Microsoft Unbound' (TheStreet.com)
<http://www.thestreet.com/comment/techsavvy/1455736.html>
A trip to the Redmond campus reveals a Microsoft that is newly reassertive, newly in touch with its strengths, ready to flex its muscles after the Court of Appeals' decision -- "Microsoft Unbound," if you will.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Are Smart Tags Part Of An MS Plot? (Hint: The WSJ Is Wrong!) (ZDNet AnchorDesk)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2771967,00.html>
Before you join Walt's camp of conspiracy theorists, you need to understand what Smart Tags really are, how they work, and what they do.

AOL Plans The Digital Smorgasbord (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/11/business/11GIAN.html>
If Mr. Levin and the rest of the company's executives have their way, this subscription-based, on-demand approach to media will someday enthrall consumers around the nation.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Value And Panhandling (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/01/0611.html>
The problem isn't the donations; it's Schultz's paradigm. We should either be a commercial site that survives on ad income or a noncommercial site that survives on donations. Black or white, but not gray.

Messaging: Killer App For Windows XP? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5092278,00.html>
Advanced instant-messaging technology could help Microsoft break a string of mediocre upgrade cycles to its ubiquitous operating system, analysts say.

Farewell Free Downloads (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/mp3/0,1285,44412,00.html>
An audible sigh of relief can be heard from the folks at Napster.

Are Smart Tags Part Of An MS Plot? (Hint: The WSJ Is Wrong!) (ZDNet AnchorDesk)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2771967,00.html>
Before you join Walt's camp of conspiracy theorists, you need to understand what Smart Tags really are, how they work, and what they do.

Web Is Cheap, Easy Way To Listen In On The World (Gannett News Service)
<http://www.starnews.com/print/articles/radio11.html>
With thousands of stations worldwide to choose from, Internet radio is a gold mine of popular and obscure music and other content all just a few clicks away.

AOL Plans The Digital Smorgasbord (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/11/business/11GIAN.html>
If Mr. Levin and the rest of the company's executives have their way, this subscription-based, on-demand approach to media will someday enthrall consumers around the nation.

ESPN To Offer Broadband Programming (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6240036.html?tag=owv>
Cable sports network ESPN said on Sunday it plans to offer programming aimed at high-speed Internet users at a time when tensions are rising among cable operators over how much free programming networks are offering over the Internet.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Microsoft Back On Attack (eWEEK)
<http://www8.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2771840,00.html>
The kinder, gentler face that Microsoft Corp. put on after last year's landmark court decision to split up the company seems to have all but disappeared, as the company has stepped up its software bundling efforts and its campaign against Linux.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Towsers Of Babble (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/0,1381,18067,00.html?>
These days, libraries have started to resemble the - shopping malls they are housed in, or even playgrounds - in noise levels, that is.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Singapore Minister Condemns Reporting Of Islam (BBC)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1381000/1381204.stm>

Towsers Of Babble (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/0,1381,18067,00.html?>
These days, libraries have started to resemble the - shopping malls they are housed in, or even playgrounds - in noise levels, that is.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Singapore IT Market To Grow Another 56% By 2004 (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/bizit/story/0,2276,11088,00.html?>
However, while Singapore ranks high in IT maturity, China and India are better long-term growth prospects, according to Gartner.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

SCV Must Meet Minimum Standards (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,50254,00.html?http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,50254,00.html?>
Three days of service disruption represents about 10 per cent lost in viewers' TV entertainment on average over one month.