[MyAppleMenu] Jul 10, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 10 21:05:04 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Dell Denies New Stats Showing Apple Education Lead (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11892.html>
Being an Apple computer user and an avid follower of this ever-unfolding drama, I called Dell Computer's media relations department and asked for the company's perspective on this ever-changing market. The answer I received threw me off guard, but in retrospect wasn't too surprising.

Survey: Apple To Regain Top Spot In Education (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6535660.html?tag=owv>
IDC senior analyst David Daoud said his company does not issue forecasts but said preliminary data indicates Apple has picked up more sales recently with the release of its new iBook laptop computer.

The Burning (CD-R) Question (Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/personal/article/0,9171,1101010716-166721,00.html>
Build a playlist, click on a button and let it burn, baby. My first iTunes CD was so easy to make and so glitch free, I had tears in my eyes.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Survey: Apple To Regain Top Spot In Education (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6535660.html?tag=owv>
IDC senior analyst David Daoud said his company does not issue forecasts but said preliminary data indicates Apple has picked up more sales recently with the release of its new iBook laptop computer.

Apple Beefs Up Pro DVD Know-How (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/20297.html>
What makes the proposed acquisition interesting is that Spruce only makes products for the Windows platform, and if a trawl through the website is giving us up to date information, the only mention of Apple is in the obligatory copyright and trademark sections.

Dell Disputes Apple's Expected Comeback (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=7867>
"We believe we're well-positioned to retain our leadership position in the U.S. and we don't expect that to change," Dell spokesman Dean Kline said.

UBS Warburg Says Apple May Be "Unscathed" By PC Price War (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2001/07/10.1.shtml>
Only Microsoft will benefit from the ongoing price war between PC makers.

Apple Schedules Q3 Conference Call (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=7846>

Analysts Positive On Apple Earnings (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3155>
The recent stability of its share price, and positive predictions from analysts that it would meet its revenue targets indicate a successful quarter, according to industry observers.

OS X For Publishing Pros (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001s/news/0709-osx_pdf.html>
New OS has built-in support for file format. Is it enough for publishing pros?

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

Dell Denies New Stats Showing Apple Education Lead (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11892.html>
Being an Apple computer user and an avid follower of this ever-unfolding drama, I called Dell Computer's media relations department and asked for the company's perspective on this ever-changing market. The answer I received threw me off guard, but in retrospect wasn't too surprising.

20 Minute Mac Expert (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/first/83.html>
I had only been exposed to that silly looking little computer for about 20 minutes, and I was already an expert!

The PowerBook G3 Power Adapter Recall And Related Issues (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/07/10/index.html>
I always find it frustrating when issues like this come up and details supplied are maddeningly sketchy.

New Apples Look Like A Good Pick (Sydney Morning Hearld)
<http://it.mycareer.com.au/opinion/macman/2001/07/10/FFXRPFO4XOC.html>
Macworld Expo in New York next week is expected to attract record crowds, eager to see Steve Jobs feed their constant lust for things new and beautiful. All indications are that some very cool stuff will be unveiled, but precisely what, Apple, as usual, is not saying.

New eWorld Order: Apple's Revolutionary Marketing Tool (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11811.html>
eWorld's theme of the town square provided an intuitive interface for navigation, and Apple would do well to use the theme to unify its Internet services.

At $900, iMac Is So Close And, Yet, So Far (Pioneer Press)
<http://www.pioneerplanet.com/tech/ptk_docs/79707.htm>
To be fair, iMac prices have come down. But they need to inch even lower to compete with bargain PCs that still make up the lion's share of the consumer-computer market.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Silent Computing (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/backnforth/01/0710.html>
I do not want a quiet computer -- like an iMac or a Cube. I want a silent computer.

BBEdit Lite (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/wares/bbe.html>
Once you find a use for BBE -- and it's not the kind of program everyone needs -- you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

The Burning (CD-R) Question (Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/personal/article/0,9171,1101010716-166721,00.html>
Build a playlist, click on a button and let it burn, baby. My first iTunes CD was so easy to make and so glitch free, I had tears in my eyes.

Conflict Catcher (MacSoldiers.com)
<http://www.macsoldiers.com/reviews/2001/010708-gm-ccatcher.html>
Conflict Catcher is absolutely not a must have program. Many users go through their lives not missing CC. However, if you're an intermediate or power-user (more than at least 1 or 2 years as a Mac aficionado), and want to truly micro-manage all those extensions and other files into several sets, then give Conflict Catcher a try.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Privacy: Win XP Activation 'Innocuous' (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093939,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_latest>
A German copy-protection company has published details of Microsoft's technology for preventing casual copying of Windows XP but concluded the technology allows for reasonable upgrades and doesn't threaten customers' privacy.

Microsoft Stumbles With XP Preview (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6528041.html?tag=lh>
As if Microsoft didn't have enough services trouble this week with the MSN Messenger outage, the company stumbled in its delivery of a preview version of Windows XP to more than 100,000 testers.

Microsoft To Schools: Give Us Your Lunch Money! (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/07/10/microsoft_school/index.html>
The software giant is cracking down on piracy in the public education system. But the campaign could easily backfire.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

[...]

Microsoft May Accompany Pressplay (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6536048.html?tag=lh>
Pressplay, a joint venture of music giants Vivendi Universal and Sony, is nearing a deal to distribute its service on the Microsoft Network, sources close to the venture said Tuesday.

MSN Woes Open Door For IM Rivals (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6537492.html?tag=lh>
Even though Microsoft has claimed victory in restoring its MSN Messenger service, some problems linger--including the opportunity the outage provided for the company's competitors.

Dell Disputes Apple's Expected Comeback (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=7867>
"We believe we're well-positioned to retain our leadership position in the U.S. and we don't expect that to change," Dell spokesman Dean Kline said.

Analysts Skittish Ahead Of Compaq Earnings (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6533190.html?tag=ch_mh>
Saying he expects Compaq Computer to disappoint investors, UBS Warburg analyst Don Young lowered estimates on the PC giant Tuesday for the second quarter.

Amazon Pulls Preorder Plug On Windows Xp (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6532303.html?tag=lh>
Sources close to the Redmond, Wash.-based software maker on Monday indicated that Microsoft had been leaning on Amazon to stop taking advance orders for Windows XP, which does not officially go on sale until Oct. 25.

Microsoft Stumbles With XP Preview (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6528041.html?tag=lh>
As if Microsoft didn't have enough services trouble this week with the MSN Messenger outage, the company stumbled in its delivery of a preview version of Windows XP to more than 100,000 testers.

AOL Vs Microsoft: Now It's War (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=203314>
Perhaps that's why AOL has been strangely quiet in the recent controversy over Passport. AOL, it turns out, has something similar in the works.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

MSN Woes Open Door For IM Rivals (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6537492.html?tag=lh>
Even though Microsoft has claimed victory in restoring its MSN Messenger service, some problems linger--including the opportunity the outage provided for the company's competitors.

Netscape Ruling A Boost For Privacy (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093891,00.html>
People who downloaded Netscape Communications' SmartDownload software are not bound by an online contract because they did not specifically agree to it, a federal judge has ruled.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

MSN Woes Open Door For IM Rivals (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6537492.html?tag=lh>
Even though Microsoft has claimed victory in restoring its MSN Messenger service, some problems linger--including the opportunity the outage provided for the company's competitors.

Netscape Ruling A Boost For Privacy (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093891,00.html>
People who downloaded Netscape Communications' SmartDownload software are not bound by an online contract because they did not specifically agree to it, a federal judge has ruled.

Do AOL's Ads Add Up? (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=203316>
Despite an ad slump, the online service reported great sales. Some critics question the numbers.

AOL Vs Microsoft: Now It's War (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=203314>
Perhaps that's why AOL has been strangely quiet in the recent controversy over Passport. AOL, it turns out, has something similar in the works.

Consultants Face Crisis (Daily Telegraph)
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=002549632124328&rtmo=qKtxXu99&atmo=qKtxXu99&pg=/et/01/7/5/ecfint05.html>
Many observers say the struggling agencies, which were last year rapidly recruiting staff and turning away business, are getting their comeuppance. The industry is littered with tales of missed deadlines, inexperienced consultants and creaky technology.

Naked Man With No Product Waggles His Dotcom (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/20268.html>
A fictional brand that offers no product has managed to fool more than 1,500 people into responding to its ads.

New eWorld Order: Apple's Revolutionary Marketing Tool (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11811.html>
eWorld's theme of the town square provided an intuitive interface for navigation, and Apple would do well to use the theme to unify its Internet services.

Webvan Couldn't Deliver (Gatner Viewpoint)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-201-6525514-0.html?tag=owv>
Webvan Group was a high-profile dot-com grocer that just couldn't deliver on its dreams. It grew too big, too fast and eventually choked on its own complexity.

IT Still Hot, Even Though Dot-Coms Not (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-6524198.html?tag=owv>
The business of contracting out information technology services is earning billions of dollars and creating thousands of jobs per year.

CBS MarketWatch Refuses To Click Through (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6523029.html?tag=owv>
CBS MarketWatch, one of many struggling Internet content sites, is fighting back against the growing perception that online ads do not work.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Red Hat Rival Shifts Pricing Plan (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6537387.html?tag=owv>
Great Bridge, an open-source database-software company with new competition from Linux leader Red Hat, has revamped its pricing to lure new customers.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Singapore Falls Into Recession (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1431000/1431658.stm>
The Singaporean authorities had been expecting a slowdown ever since the outlook for the international technology sector turned sour in the middle of last year. But the figures were worse than expected.

Singapore Dollar Hits 11-Year Low After Poor GDP (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010710/3/190ey.html>
The Singapore dollar sank to a fresh 11-year low below 1.8320 per U.S. dollar after disappointing advance second quarter GDP numbers fuelled fears the city state might fall into a real recession.

Singapore Inc. Leads Airline Fight (Herald Sun)
<http://finance.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,2309867%255E462,00.html>
The battle for Air New Zealand has broadened into a dogfight between Qantas and the massive reserves of Singapore Inc.

New MRT Signage (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,56272,00.html?>
Rapid expansion planned for the rail network means a new, simpler system of signs needs to be used.

Merger May Mean Higher Transfer Rebates (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,56256,00.html?>
It may, in future, offer higher transfer rebates, making use of the new contactless smart card that will soon replace existing fare cards.

Absurd If NMPs Exceed Elected-MP's Term (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,56351,00.html?>
I feel strongly that an NMP who is prepared to serve a third term should instead contest the General Election, either as an independent or on the ticket of a political party.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

NCS Offers Website Performanc3e Testing (IDG)
<http://www.idg.com.sg/dev/idgnew.nsf/UNID/6BA96FB07E3E84C348256A8400457E00!opendocument>
Website measurement and performance testing services will now be made available to customers of Digital Centrix, the Internet data centre hosting service of National Computer Systems (NCS) Pte Ltd.

Apple Recalls Flawed AC Adapters In Singapore (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/singapore/story/0,2000027481,20093923,00.htm>
Apple Computer Inc is extending the recall of its AC adapter to Singapore on fears that its Powerbook G3s may catch fire due to overheating.