[MyAppleMenu] Jul 7, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 7 21:05:01 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Inside OS X Server: Feature-Rich Server In Dire Need Of Badckup Solution (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/07/06/osxserver.html>
Mac OS X Server is a necessary building block for Apple's long-term strategy but, in its current state, raises more questions than anything else. If Apple is serious about the server market, it needs to give OS X Server all the necessary features, and it needs to offer better server hardware than its standard desktop systems today.

Apple Recalls Old Power Adapters (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093785,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Apple Computer is recalling 570,000 power adapters used on some older PowerBook models after reports that the brick-shaped units can overheat, creating a potential fire hazard.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Apple Updates WebObjects (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0107/06.webobjects.shtml>
Apple today released WebObjects 5.0 Update 1 for Mac OS X Server 10.0.x -- an update the company recommends all users of WebObjects 5 install.

Bare Bones Releases Super Get Info (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0107/06.supergetinfo.shtml>
Bare Bones Software has released Super Get Info, a new utility for Mac OS X designed to serve as a replacement for the "Show Info" command of the X Finder.

Apple Recalls Old Power Adapters (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093785,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Apple Computer is recalling 570,000 power adapters used on some older PowerBook models after reports that the brick-shaped units can overheat, creating a potential fire hazard.

iBook 500 Ranked #2 In Japanese Portable Sales (Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/897.html>
Apple's iBook 500 is now ranked # 2 in the Japanese portable market, and could challenge for # 1 spot. Outflanked only by Sony's Vaio Note FX, all four iBooks occupy top 20 positions in the Japanese notebook sales.

Apple Slashes G4 Dealer-Prices (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3143>
The reductions apply only to the price that dealers pay when purchasing stock from Apple. It is up the dealers' discretion what, if any, benefits they pass on to customers.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

Here's Why You Should Not Buy A G4 Cube (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/ibrotha/2001/20010706.shtml>
Thank you, Apple. I'd rather you attempt something like the Cube and fail, instead of playing it safe like the Dell's and Gateway's of the world.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

I'm Traveling Mac: OS 9.1 Vs OS X (CNET)
<http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1026-8-6445534-1.html?tag=st.co.1016.bhed.1026-8-6445534>
As operating systems go, it's also attractive, although I prefer interfaces that are less showy--enough with the throbbing icons and 3D buttons, OK? But as a laptop user, I don't see any compelling reason to run OS X.

Foreign-Language Instruction: Games Offer Limited Language Learning (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/06/26/reviews/language.html>
Talk Now and World Talk succeed in quickly teaching basic vocabulary, but the game format doesn't effectively teach users how to engage in real, everyday dialogues beyond "Good morning" and "How are you?"

Inside OS X Server: Feature-Rich Server In Dire Need Of Badckup Solution (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/07/06/osxserver.html>
Mac OS X Server is a necessary building block for Apple's long-term strategy but, in its current state, raises more questions than anything else. If Apple is serious about the server market, it needs to give OS X Server all the necessary features, and it needs to offer better server hardware than its standard desktop systems today.

Using Mac OS X To Share Files With Windows Machines (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/tips/hotcocoa/2001/20010706.shtml>
 I'll describe the tools that my colleagues and I have successfully used to implement file-sharing between machines on our heterogeneous network containing one Windows 2000 and two Mac OS X computers.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Microsoft Critics Are 'Tying' Themselves In Knots (The Globe And Mail)
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/D,D,D/20010706/wingram?tf=RT/fullstory_Bus.html&cf=RT/config-neutral&vg=BigAdVariableGenerator&slug=wingram&date=20010706&archive=RTGAM&site=Business&ad_page_name=breakingnews-business>
Should Microsoft be forced by the courts to make it easier for people to use another company's software to play MP3 files or videos, or to surf the Internet?

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Warning Deflates AMD; Analysts See Rebound (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6473100.html?tag=owv>
Shares of chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices plunged almost 17 percent in early trading, a day after the company said that second-quarter sales would miss estimates by a wide margin.

Iowa Family Chained To MSN, But What About Dubuque? (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/07/20010705202550.shtml>

MS Giving Away Xbox Prototype (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/newsbursts/0,7407,2783179,00.html?chkpt=p1bn>

Can The European Union Tackle Microsoft? (IT-Analysis)
<http://www.it-analysis.com/article.asp?id=1349>
One way or another, Microsoft is not out of the legal wood yet. With further decisions still to be made in the US, it also seems that processes in Europe may be just at a beginning.

Microsoft Critics Are 'Tying' Themselves In Knots (The Globe And Mail)
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/D,D,D/20010706/wingram?tf=RT/fullstory_Bus.html&cf=RT/config-neutral&vg=BigAdVariableGenerator&slug=wingram&date=20010706&archive=RTGAM&site=Business&ad_page_name=breakingnews-business>
Should Microsoft be forced by the courts to make it easier for people to use another company's software to play MP3 files or videos, or to surf the Internet?

Using Mac OS X To Share Files With Windows Machines (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/tips/hotcocoa/2001/20010706.shtml>
 I'll describe the tools that my colleagues and I have successfully used to implement file-sharing between machines on our heterogeneous network containing one Windows 2000 and two Mac OS X computers.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Browser Blocks Ads And More (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,45069,00.html>
ActivatorDesk -- a combination desktop, browser and Web filter -- modifies the Internet Explorer browser so users can block banner ads, cookies and all pop-up windows of any kind. For really paranoid parents and managers, the highest security setting blocks the entire Internet except for a "whitelist" of about 16,000 "safe" websites.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Browser Blocks Ads And More (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,45069,00.html>
ActivatorDesk -- a combination desktop, browser and Web filter -- modifies the Internet Explorer browser so users can block banner ads, cookies and all pop-up windows of any kind. For really paranoid parents and managers, the highest security setting blocks the entire Internet except for a "whitelist" of about 16,000 "safe" websites.

AvantGo Broadens Corporate Device Push (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6476960.html?tag=owv>
After building a business helping individual companies bring their desktop software to handheld devices, AvantGo is trying to offer a more generic approach.

Amazon Stops Shipping Goods For Free (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-6473458.html?tag=owv>
Amazon.com has ended its offer of free shipping on books, music and videos, saying the company has learned a lot from the test promotion.

Iowa Family Chained To MSN, But What About Dubuque? (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/07/20010705202550.shtml>

Amazon Music Ads Fall On Skeptical Ears (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093786,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_latest>
In a struggling media market, Amazon is hoping to persuade consumers to take some of the burden of its advertising on themselves in return for offering information about new music to potential shoppers.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Linux Prepares For Battle (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2783175,00.html>
Linux and the open source software movement have faced a number of intimidating obstacles over the past months, including the disappearance of the dot-com market enthusiasm and a propaganda campaign by Microsoft executives branding open source as "viral" or a "cancer". But the movement has not only survived--it is gearing up for battle.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Linux Prepares For Battle (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2783175,00.html>
Linux and the open source software movement have faced a number of intimidating obstacles over the past months, including the disappearance of the dot-com market enthusiasm and a propaganda campaign by Microsoft executives branding open source as "viral" or a "cancer". But the movement has not only survived--it is gearing up for battle.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

No Doubt That Sentosa Dolphins Suffer (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,55774,00.html?>
Caring for them in the best manner possible may not be enough because the record speaks for itself.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

A Modern MPH (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,55656,00.html?>
MPH Bookstores is getting a new look, with its Raffles City store the first to do away with the 'English study look'.