[MyAppleMenu] Jan 21, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 21 21:05:01 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Thinking Revolution, Talking Evolution At Apple (The New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/21/technology/21APPL.html?pagewanted=all>
Sure, Apple did not think of this idea first, he acknowledged. But he said Apple's system would be far simpler and more integrated than rivals in the chaotic world of the Windows-Intel PC market. The reason, he said, is that "Apple controls the entire hardware and software world of the Macintosh."

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

 Thinking Revolution, Talking Evolution At Apple (The New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/21/technology/21APPL.html?pagewanted=all>
Sure, Apple did not think of this idea first, he acknowledged. But he said Apple's system would be far simpler and more integrated than rivals in the chaotic world of the Windows-Intel PC market. The reason, he said, is that "Apple controls the entire hardware and software world of the Macintosh."

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

 Top-Of-Line Photoshop A Miracle Worker For Graphics (Chiacgo Tribune)
<http://www.chicago.tribune.com/version1/article/0,1575,ART-49366,00.html>
The biggest reason to lust after version 6.0 of Photoshop is the miracles it works by adding support for vector data, which allows one to create seeming miracles by drawing shapes and using a new palette of Boolean commands to make them evolve into beautifully elegant forms.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

 Microsoft Sees Margins Narrowing As It Expands Beyond Software (Bloomberg)
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Top%20Financial%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_topfin&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99.ht&s2=blk&bt=ad_position1_topfin&middle=ad_frame2_topfin&s=AOmmsTBbeTWljcm9z>
The world's largest computer-software maker now has the widest gross margin of any company in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. That means it squeezes more profit out of each sales dollar than the 29 other companies in the benchmark index.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

 The New York Times: Five Years On The Web (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/20/technology/20ANNIVERSARY.html>
Five years ago The New York Times announced its arrival on the Internet. "Our site is designed to take full advantage of the evolving capabilities offered by the Internet. At the same time, we see our role on the Web as being similar to our traditional, print role -- to act as a thoughtful, unbiased filter and to provide to our customers information they need and can trust," said Arthur Sulzberger, Jr., publisher of The New York Times.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

 An Escape Hatch In The Dot-Com Dive (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/21/technology/21WORT.html>
The declines have meant substantial paper losses for many investors. But is there anything investors can do to offset some of them?

 The New York Times: Five Years On The Web (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/20/technology/20ANNIVERSARY.html>
Five years ago The New York Times announced its arrival on the Internet. "Our site is designed to take full advantage of the evolving capabilities offered by the Internet. At the same time, we see our role on the Web as being similar to our traditional, print role -- to act as a thoughtful, unbiased filter and to provide to our customers information they need and can trust," said Arthur Sulzberger, Jr., publisher of The New York Times.

 Yahoo Edges In On Financial Services (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2676748,00.html>
The site unveils a service to let clients conduct money transfers. Funny...some banks' Web sites are starting to look a lot like portals.

 Canada Writers Decry Amazon Plan (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41311,00.html>
Amazon.com is bound up in controversy over its plans to help revive one of Canada's most famous literary journals, Books In Canada.

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

 Canada Writers Decry Amazon Plan (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41311,00.html>
Amazon.com is bound up in controversy over its plans to help revive one of Canada's most famous literary journals, Books In Canada.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Singapore's Lee Ready To Adjust To Fast-Changing Times (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www0.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/front/docs/dg012101.htm>
Listen as Lee Kuan Yew, senior minister of Singapore, contemplates leadership and his island nation's prospects in a fast-changing world, and you wonder if his people are as prepared as he seems to be.

 Brace For A Possibly Difficult 2001: DPM Tan (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/cna/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/010121/singapore/cna/Brace_for_a_possibly_difficult_2001__DPM_Tan.html>
Singapore might still achieve growth this year, but this is likely to be at the lower end of the 5 to 7 percent range projected by the Ministry of Trade and Industry.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

 Singapore's Lee Ready To Adjust To Fast-Changing Times (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www0.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/front/docs/dg012101.htm>
Listen as Lee Kuan Yew, senior minister of Singapore, contemplates leadership and his island nation's prospects in a fast-changing world, and you wonder if his people are as prepared as he seems to be.

 Brace For A Possibly Difficult 2001: DPM Tan (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/cna/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/010121/singapore/cna/Brace_for_a_possibly_difficult_2001__DPM_Tan.html>
Singapore might still achieve growth this year, but this is likely to be at the lower end of the 5 to 7 percent range projected by the Ministry of Trade and Industry.

 Be Mindful Of All Races, Malays Told (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,18761,00.html?>
Malay-Muslim groups should synergise community plans but operate within the nation's context, says minister.

 Why Can't There Be Just Space In A Park? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,18713,00.html?>
I do not know why the authorities, be it the town council or the National Parks board, have decided to do that. It just seems to me, in Singapore, that few people can leave any piece of empty land alone.

 Minister Outlines New System (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,18746,00.html?>
The Ministry of Education plans to establish three career tracks to let teachers develop in areas they excel in and find challenging.