[MyAppleMenu] Jan 4, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 4 21:05:02 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Apple Expected To Unveil Speedier Power Macs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4362156.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
At next week's Macworld, Apple is going to step on the gas.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

 Apple Expected To Unveil Speedier Power Macs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4362156.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
At next week's Macworld, Apple is going to step on the gas.

 FileMaker To Discontiune HomePage (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=1776>
FileMaker today announced that it would discontinue distribution of its Home Page web-authoring software on February 1, 2001, but notes that it will continue to support the product through July of 2001.

 Improved Inventory Picture For Apple? (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/12/31/0103inventory.html>
Despite holiday Mac sales some 15 percent lower than those of Windows-based PCs, Apple's after-Christmas product inventory is between six to seven weeks--much less than the 11.5 weeks reported at the first of December, a leading market research firm reported.

 Apple dumps dual-processor G4? (Artificial Cheese)
<http://www.artificialcheese.com/articles/january01/dump/>
Why is Apple replacing their dual-processor systems with faster, single processor systems?

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

 Apple Reaction: Bring Back Woz? (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,40945,00.html>
Break out the tarot cards, the crystal balls and the tea leaves.

 Major Problem In MSIE/Mac (Radio Userland)
<http://radiodiscuss.userland.com/stories/storyReader$4389>
When accessing a server on the local machine, MSIE doesn't yield enough processor time to allow the server to do its processing.

 The Dawning Of The Age Of Aquarius? (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/appletrader/2001/20010102.shtml>

 Not-So-Fearless Expo Predictions (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/12/31/0103predictions.html>
Like most other Apple watchers, I have my own ideas about the new Mac products we might see next week. I can't claim any inside information, so what follows is pure speculation.

 Apple dumps dual-processor G4? (Artificial Cheese)
<http://www.artificialcheese.com/articles/january01/dump/>
Why is Apple replacing their dual-processor systems with faster, single processor systems?

 Motorola's First Victim: Newer Technology (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/6440.html>
With Mac OS X, Apple will be opening the door to new ways of increasing performance. Too bad Newer Technology can't hang on long enough to enjoy it.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

 Contour Perfit Mouse (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/misc/010103.html>
I liked the Contour Perfit Mouse a lot, and I think I would be obliged to rate it as the most comfortable conventional form factor.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

 Starbucks, Microsoft Brew Wireless Deal (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4354963.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Starbucks Coffee and Microsoft on Wednesday said they are teaming up to connect Starbucks' coffee shops around North America using MobileStar Network's wireless network.

 AMD's Got A Server Sledgehammer (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4360022-0.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..sf>
Advanced Micro Devices has struggled to find a way to compete with Intel in the server market.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

 Major Problem In MSIE/Mac (Radio Userland)
<http://radiodiscuss.userland.com/stories/storyReader$4389>
When accessing a server on the local machine, MSIE doesn't yield enough processor time to allow the server to do its processing.

 AOL Sues Over Sex-Related Unsolicited Email (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4361564.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
In a crackdown on spam, America Online is suing a company that owns and operates pornographic Web sites, accusing it of sending junk email to AOL members.

 Starbucks, Microsoft Brew Wireless Deal (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4354963.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Starbucks Coffee and Microsoft on Wednesday said they are teaming up to connect Starbucks' coffee shops around North America using MobileStar Network's wireless network.

 Will Yahoo's Ban On Auctioned Nazi Items Work? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4361243.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Yahoo is banning auctions of Nazi and Ku Klux Klan-related items, but preventing such material from appearing on its site could prove impossible.

 Is Yahoo's Move To Fees Risky Business? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-201-4363557-0.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..sf>
Yahoo's decision to garner fees from auctions could add as much as a nickel a share to the portal's 2001 earnings, analysts said Wednesday.

 Yahoo Won't Be Last To Convert To Fee-Based Services (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-201-4363785-0.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..sf>
With "make money" the new Web mantra, industry analysts say companies will soon start charging for services they once offered for free.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

 Falun Society 'Did Not Organise Meeting' (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,14925,00.html?>
Society distances itself from events that took place on New Year's Eve, saying it always applies for a permit before organising public events.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

 IDA Moves 3G Licence Auction From Feb To April (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/4/news/nsing04.html>
It said the auaction has been deferred so it can "attract as many qualified bidders as possible ... both from within and outside the local market". It also said many potential bidders "have asked for additional time to consider the auction document ... and comment on the draft auction rules".