[MyAppleMenu] Feb 21, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 21 21:05:05 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Microsoft Protects Mac But Not Windows Users With Web Bug Mail Firewall (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/17080.html>
Mac users running Entourage, the mail client-cum-PIM that debuted with Office 2001 have the option of turning off HTML mail, writes Dan. But that's an option not available to Outlook Express users on Windows.

The Race For The Ultimate Info Organizer (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2001/nf20010221_698.htm>
Three new programs help you make order of the reams of data you download from the Internet.

Revinventing An Art Form Online (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/creative/stories/mccloud/>
"I just love my Mac. It's transparent to the extend that what I see on my screen and what I think about on my screen is the work I have to do."

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Microsoft Protects Mac But Not Windows Users With Web Bug Mail Firewall (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/17080.html>
Mac users running Entourage, the mail client-cum-PIM that debuted with Office 2001 have the option of turning off HTML mail, writes Dan. But that's an option not available to Outlook Express users on Windows.

Making Connections With USB (New York Times)
<http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisStory=83564862>
The first time you plug in a digital camera, MP3 player, CD burner or any other computer peripheral that uses USB technology, chances are that you will notice how much easier they are to hook up than devices that use serial and parallel ports.

Store Owners Say Consumers Taking Advantage Of 'Tax-Free PC' Program (Associated Press)
<http://www.valleyindependent.com/0219comp.html>
It didn't take an economics major to figure out that waiting for the tax break could save him a bundle on Apple's new Macintosh Titanium Powerbook he had been eyeing.

PC Sales Show No Recovery (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4875522.html?tag=owv>

Full Stream Ahead For Tokyo Keynote (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/18/0220sjkeynote.html>
Apple has re-posted information about a QuickTime Webcast of Steve Jobs' Macworld Expo Tokyo keynote, which will be available only as a video-on-demand archive.

VirtualPC 4 For OS X (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=3621>
A representative of Connectix reiterated today that the company still plans to release an OS X version of VirtualPC 4.0 shortly following the release of Mac OS X in March.

Revinventing An Art Form Online (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/creative/stories/mccloud/>
"I just love my Mac. It's transparent to the extend that what I see on my screen and what I think about on my screen is the work I have to do."

Souped-Up Power Mac Leaves The Gate (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4876178.html?tag=cd_mh>
Apple Computer said it has started shipping the 733MHz Power Mac, its top-of-the-line desktop machine that includes a SuperDrive capable of reading and writing both CDs and DVDs.

Apple Solve The iMac (2000) Display Flicker And Wavy Lines Problem (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/02/20010216124236.shtml>

Opera Technology Preview Due Thursday (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=3589>
Opera Software, creators of the alternative Web browser that bears the company's name, will release Mac Technology Preview 1 on Thursday, the first public alpha release of the browser that has been in development for nearly three years.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Is The Mac Still Better? (professionalmac.com)
<http://www.professionalmac.com/articles/stillbetter.html>
As the Mac OS continues to mature, I would expect less and less discrimination against Mac users who simply want equal access to information and resources. I hope that such discrimination does not contribute to the loss of members of the Mac community.

TiBook troubles And Pismo Pondering (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/02/21/index.html>

Why OS X Will Work (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/7592.html>
If Apple can get it right, with enough apps at launch time, I see a new Apple: the same Apple we knew and loved 17 years ago. What an exciting time it will be.

iMaculate Conception 1: The Identity Crisis (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/HTML/davies_conception/archives/conception_01.shtml>
It appears that Apple was not thinking very differently when the Ti book was designed.  Sure, I want a G4 processor, and the DVD-RAM is pretty nifty, but it does look like a Sony.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

The Race For The Ultimate Info Organizer (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2001/nf20010221_698.htm>
Three new programs help you make order of the reams of data you download from the Internet.

PowerPrint Mobile Edition (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/01/30/reviews/powerprint.html>
If you're on the road, the printer you find handy is likely of the PC-compatible parallel-port sort. PowerPrint Mobile Edition lets you print to such foreign objects with ease.

Netscape 6.0 (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/03/reviews/netscape.html>
Latest version of browser frustrates users, offers few useful features.

A 2nd Look At The 'Squeezable' PowerBook G4 (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2001/02/20.1.shtml>

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Palm, Handspring Lose Ground To Microsoft (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4880476.html?tag=owv>
Palm and Handspring saw a decline in their share of the handheld market in January, losing some ground to devices running Microsoft's Pocket PC operating system.

Microsoft Clarifies Exec's Open-Source Concerns (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2687872,00.html>
Microsoft representatives told eWEEK Tuesday that Allchin was primarily concerned about the impact of the GNU General Public License, the widely used statement of open-source terms and conditions introduced 10 years ago by the Free Software Foundation Inc.

Intel To Cut Back On Spending And Hiring (TheStreet.com)
<http://www.thestreet.com/brknews/semis/1312574.html>
Tuesday's news comes on the heels of a shaky month for the chipmaking bellwether.

Windows XP: A Requiem For DOS (Interactive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2686746,00.html>
The best thing about XP, which is scheduled for release in the fourth quarter, is the death of a beast whose name may not be uttered--at least not in official Microsoft marketing.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Microsoft Protects Mac But Not Windows Users With Web Bug Mail Firewall (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/17080.html>
Mac users running Entourage, the mail client-cum-PIM that debuted with Office 2001 have the option of turning off HTML mail, writes Dan. But that's an option not available to Outlook Express users on Windows.

WinXP To Include Support For Transmeta Cursoe Chips (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/17063.html>
Support for Transmeta CPUs is quietly under development as part of Microsoft's next generation WinXP OS. Beta testers staring vacantly at the blue install screen while filenames flash by claim to have been jolted awake by the evocatively-named crusoe.dll.

Chinese Company Launches Software To Challenge Microsoft's Windows (Agence France Presse)
<http://www.insidechina.com/investorinsight/business.php3?id=293476>
Beijing-based RedFlag Software on Tuesday unveiled a new operating system in a bid to wrest market share from Microsoft's dominant Windows system.

Microsoft Doesn't Care What We Think (LinuxPlanet)
<http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3021/1/>

Making Connections With USB (New York Times)
<http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisStory=83564862>
The first time you plug in a digital camera, MP3 player, CD burner or any other computer peripheral that uses USB technology, chances are that you will notice how much easier they are to hook up than devices that use serial and parallel ports.

PC Sales Show No Recovery (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4875522.html?tag=owv>

Palm, Handspring Lose Ground To Microsoft (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4880476.html?tag=owv>
Palm and Handspring saw a decline in their share of the handheld market in January, losing some ground to devices running Microsoft's Pocket PC operating system.

Windows XP May Hit Small Speed Bump (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4878345-0.html?tag=owv>
As Microsoft charges ahead toward delivering Office XP by midyear, it is falling a bit behind on meeting its Windows XP targets, according to testers.

Microsoft Clarifies Exec's Open-Source Concerns (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2687872,00.html>
Microsoft representatives told eWEEK Tuesday that Allchin was primarily concerned about the impact of the GNU General Public License, the widely used statement of open-source terms and conditions introduced 10 years ago by the Free Software Foundation Inc.

Windows XP: No Thrill (Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/columnists/2001/02/20/0220dvorak.html>
While users can buy a stand-alone version to put on older machines, it may not be a wise thing to do.

Intel To Cut Back On Spending And Hiring (TheStreet.com)
<http://www.thestreet.com/brknews/semis/1312574.html>
Tuesday's news comes on the heels of a shaky month for the chipmaking bellwether.

Larry's A Liar? MS Doubts Oracle Claim (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2687516,00.html?chkpt=test0001>
Microsoft Corp., donning the mantle of moral watchdog, has launched a stinging attack on Oracle Corp. CEO Larry Ellison, accusing him of being "disingenuous" and misleading customers.

Windows XP: A Requiem For DOS (Interactive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2686746,00.html>
The best thing about XP, which is scheduled for release in the fourth quarter, is the death of a beast whose name may not be uttered--at least not in official Microsoft marketing.

Microsoft To Publish Magazine (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/newsbursts/0,7407,2687508,00.html?chkpt=p1bn>
The quarterly publication will be dedicated to providing information on "the potential of the enterprise to meet the challenges and maximize the opportunities of the digital economy," according to a note penned by CEO Steve Ballmer for the premiere issue.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

UK Apple Users To get ADSL (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2001/7/ns-21095.html>
Only one year after their French neighbours, but better late than never.

Why Are Web Pages "Pages"? (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4878621.html?tag=owv>
Ever since Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press nearly six centuries ago, people have been organizing information page by page. Even in the computer age, they still are doing it, on Web pages.

Opera 5.0 Technical Preview 1 Arrives Thurs (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=206>
Despite its countless delays and long development time, Opera 5.0 Technical Preview 1, which we were able to get our hands on early, holds its ground against the latest offerings from Netcsape, Microsoft, and others.

A Conversation With Hillman Curtis (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/18/0220swhillman.html>
Every creative discipline develops a cadre of experts who, through their talent and vision, become leaders and icons. Advertising had its Ogilvy, filmmaking its Fellini and Photoshop imaging its Kai Krause. Professional Macromedia Flash developers regard Hillman Curtis as a preeminent figure.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Microsoft Protects Mac But Not Windows Users With Web Bug Mail Firewall (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/17080.html>
Mac users running Entourage, the mail client-cum-PIM that debuted with Office 2001 have the option of turning off HTML mail, writes Dan. But that's an option not available to Outlook Express users on Windows.

The Lonely Crowd (The Industry Standard)
<http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,22187,00.html>
Media companies have struggled for years with the idea of communities. What are they missing?

AOL Time Warner: Newsstand Or Publisher? (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2001/nf20010221_035.htm>
Now that online giant owns a crop of magazines, it needs to grapple with thorny but basic issues of journalistic ethics.

Management: Discarded Dreams Of Dot-Com Rejects (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/21/technology/21DOTC.html?pagewanted=all>
T hey are young, smart and bitter. They are the victims of the recent wave of layoffs in the high-technology industry, and many of them cannot believe how clumsy their former employers were in delivering the bad news.

Medianatomy (mediabistro.com)
<http://www.mediabistro.com/feature/archives/01/02/19/>
The New Yorker finally has a Web site. But the articles and illustrations aren't its most interesting feature.

UK Apple Users To get ADSL (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2001/7/ns-21095.html>
Only one year after their French neighbours, but better late than never.

Napster To Music Industry: Who Wants To Be A Billionaire? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2688008,00.html>
In a bid to prevent a possible court-ordered shutdown, Napster executives on Tuesday offered record companies $1 billion over five years for the right to allow copyrighted music to be traded on the popular file-swapping network.

Why Are Web Pages "Pages"? (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4878621.html?tag=owv>
Ever since Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press nearly six centuries ago, people have been organizing information page by page. Even in the computer age, they still are doing it, on Web pages.

New York Times To Beef Up Online Edition (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4878344.html?tag=owv>
The New York Times Co. said Tuesday it has inked a deal with NewsStand to publish an online version of its flagship newspaper that preserves the look and layout of the print edition, including all advertisements.

Yahoo Feels the Heat Overseas (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4879690.html?tag=owv>
As questions about Yahoo's future mount on Wall Street, doubters are probing another sore spot in the Web portal's operations: international growth.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Chinese Company Launches Software To Challenge Microsoft's Windows (Agence France Presse)
<http://www.insidechina.com/investorinsight/business.php3?id=293476>
Beijing-based RedFlag Software on Tuesday unveiled a new operating system in a bid to wrest market share from Microsoft's dominant Windows system.

VA Linux To Slash 25 Percent Of Staff (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4879179-0.html?tag=owv>
VA Linux will cut 25 percent of its work force, or approximately 140 employees, after hitting the bottom end of its lowered range of expectations and falling short of analyst estimates in its fiscal second quarter.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

[...]

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Singapore Budget Seen Shoring Up Business Confidence (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010221/3/hxka.html>
Singapore is likely to offer a business-friendly budget for 2001/2002 on Friday to help bolster confidence as slowing U.S. growth hurts global trade and the local economy, analysts say.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Singapore Budget Seen Shoring Up Business Confidence (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010221/3/hxka.html>
Singapore is likely to offer a business-friendly budget for 2001/2002 on Friday to help bolster confidence as slowing U.S. growth hurts global trade and the local economy, analysts say.

Poor Service Common Here (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,24940,00.html?>
Case receives more than 2,000 complaints in three months and is pushing for minimum standard.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Online Porn Alive And Kickin' In Singapore (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2001/02/20/20010220af.html>
Access to online pornography may be banned in the Republic, but that isn't deterring over a third of all active Internet users here from visiting adult Web sites, according to latest figures from global Internet measurement company NetValue.

Let Your Mouse Do The Walking Through Museum Show (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2001/02/21/20010221s.html>

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

How Was 'Favoured By Majority' Conclusion Derived? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,24916,00.html?>
Benjamin Tan: That Singapore is the first country to have digital TV on public buses is irrelevant in the light of the irritation it causes to commuters.