[MyAppleMenu] Feb 14, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 14 21:06:11 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Antarctic Adventure At Halfway Point (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/02/antarctica/>
"Actually, the PowerBook is surprising us at every turn. Two days ago, I became Mary Poppins and flew up on a gust after my sled overturned. I few over five feet, and the PowerBook was dragged. Every once in a while it gets a pretty rough ride, and it's still going strong. Pretty amazing stuff."

 Rosy Outlook For Apple (Fairfax I.T.)
<http://www.it.fairfax.com.au/columns/macman/20010212/A21503-2001Feb12.html>
Across the world, the personal computer industry is in trouble. Gateway has laid off 2,400 workers, or 10 per cent of its workforce. Dell, Compaq, Intel and even Microsoft are forecasting very tough times ahead. But Apple is forecasting a "modest" profit this quarter, continued steady growth even though the US economy is looking sour and no layoffs.

 We Disassemble The PowerBook G4... For You! (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/02/13/insidepb.html>
This diary contains explicit images of a Titanium PowerBook G4 in various stages of disassembly. People who have trouble viewing the graphic violation of a pristine PowerBook should not read this journal. This information is presented for educational purposes only, and is not intended to endorse or otherwise invite the dismemberment of PowerBooks by our readers. Remember, we are professionals. Don't try this at home!

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

 Antarctic Adventure At Halfway Point (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/02/antarctica/>
"Actually, the PowerBook is surprising us at every turn. Two days ago, I became Mary Poppins and flew up on a gust after my sled overturned. I few over five feet, and the PowerBook was dragged. Every once in a while it gets a pretty rough ride, and it's still going strong. Pretty amazing stuff."

 Rosy Outlook For Apple (Fairfax I.T.)
<http://www.it.fairfax.com.au/columns/macman/20010212/A21503-2001Feb12.html>
Across the world, the personal computer industry is in trouble. Gateway has laid off 2,400 workers, or 10 per cent of its workforce. Dell, Compaq, Intel and even Microsoft are forecasting very tough times ahead. But Apple is forecasting a "modest" profit this quarter, continued steady growth even though the US economy is looking sour and no layoffs.

 Apple Updates Computer Models In China (People's Daily)
<http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200102/13/eng20010213_62300.html>
Apple Computer Inc. Tuesday presented its slick titanium-gild handy laptop PowerBook G4, and other updated computer parts at a presentation press conference.

 Apple Tightens Belt, Report Shows (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=2483>
In total, the company managed to cut its operating costs by 7 per cent over the first quarter of its trading year 2001.

 Smoke, Mirrors And Windows XP (ZDNet)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/11/0213windows.html>
"This is so sad. They're just lamely trying to copy Steve Jobs' Apple presentation--right down to the guy having a black shirt and black pants," said one Whistler tester who watched the Seattle event via Webcast and requested anonymity. "It's almost like Windows ME 2. Or as Apple might call it, Windows Me Too."

 Microsoft Has No Original Ideas (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/02/13/2240231&mode=thread>
The login, screen real-estate hungry big button and icon look, and the redesigned navigation bar turn my stomach with their similarity to another OS we're all familiar with.

 $30 OS X Public Beta Rebate For UK? (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=3392>

 BT Comes Clean On Mac ADSL Support (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/16868.html>

 Apple Takes PowerBook G4 On Tour (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=2480>
The company will exhibit its DVD-authoring solutions and the new PowerMac G4 and PowerBook G4 ranges in Manchester on March 1, Uxbridge on March 6 and Glasgow on March 13.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

 When An Opportunity For Mac Evangelism Presents Itself... Take It (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/02/20010212120907.shtml>

 Layoffs May Hurt Mac Market (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/itc/010213.html>
The number of job cuts in both the Mac market and the outside world will surely have an impact on the kinds of products and performance we see from these companies in the coming months. We can only hope for a more lively economy next quarter.

 Rodney Discovers A Possible Flaw In The PowerBook G4, Will Some Suffer The Curse Of Early Adoption? (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2001/02/13.1.shtml>
"It appears that Apple sacrificed some sort of structural integrity in order to make that one-inch-thick casing."

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

 Look, Ma -- No Wires: Apple's Airport Lets You Do A Lot (Union-Tribune)
<http://205.138.64.30/news/uniontrib/tue/computers/news_1u13mactrack.html>
Now I envision a time when no regular boards will be present at our schools; rather there will be large, interactive screens with teachers presenting materials, and students demonstrating knowledge by sharing multimedia presentations and films created during their studies. Apple is in the forefront of this exciting turning point.

 We Disassemble The PowerBook G4... For You! (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/02/13/insidepb.html>
This diary contains explicit images of a Titanium PowerBook G4 in various stages of disassembly. People who have trouble viewing the graphic violation of a pristine PowerBook should not read this journal. This information is presented for educational purposes only, and is not intended to endorse or otherwise invite the dismemberment of PowerBooks by our readers. Remember, we are professionals. Don't try this at home!

 Fireworks 4 (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/HTML/Reviews/html/Archives/fw4/fw4review.html>
I'm pretty sure I would not like this as much as a stand-alone product, but when combined with Dreamweaver, it is a formidable design tool.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

 Microsoft Investigagted For Corel Investment (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4813794.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft said it's being investigated by federal antitrust enforcers for its $135 million investment in rival Corel, raising new antitrust questions for the world's largest software maker.

 Microsoft To Announce New President Wednesday (CNN)
<http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/02/14/microsoft.president/index.html>
Microsoft is expected to announce a major change near the top of its organizational chart Wednesday morning.

 Microsoft Has No Original Ideas (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/02/13/2240231&mode=thread>
The login, screen real-estate hungry big button and icon look, and the redesigned navigation bar turn my stomach with their similarity to another OS we're all familiar with.

 Early Death For 98 As MS Pushes WinXP - Public Beta Confirmed (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16880.html>
More specifically, it uses a task-based approach, and drilling down to a bit of detail Frederiksen says the new start menu has been designed "as the true launching point for users to get started and do everything they want on their PC." Actually building a truly task-based UI and sticking to it is however a serious challenge, not helped by the inevitability that a lot of users would hate it, and would need to be evangelised.

 Microsot Previews Windows XP (Associated Press)
<http://www.washtech.com/news/software/7508-1.html>
They focused on consumer uses such as digital cameras and music players and touted the operating system's increased speed.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

 Microsoft Looks For Linux Inspiration (Fairfax I.T.)
<http://www.it.fairfax.com.au/software/20010212/A21446-2001Feb12.html>
An international recruiter from Microsoft's Redmond headquarters has approached Linux user groups in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide seeking software developers interested in joining the company's Windows core networking team.

 Microsoft Wouldn't Rule Out ISP Acquisition (Upside)
<http://www.upside.com/HardwareSoftware/3a89b47e1.html>
Microsoft would not rule out the acquisition of an Internet service provider at the right price, Chief Financial Officer John Connors indicated in a meeting with analysts today.

 Microsoft Investigagted For Corel Investment (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4813794.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft said it's being investigated by federal antitrust enforcers for its $135 million investment in rival Corel, raising new antitrust questions for the world's largest software maker.

 Microsoft To Announce New President Wednesday (CNN)
<http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/02/14/microsoft.president/index.html>
Microsoft is expected to announce a major change near the top of its organizational chart Wednesday morning.

 Microsoft: Windows XP Beta 2 Due Within Month (Computer Reseller News)
<http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=23852>

 New Microsoft Windos Raises Old Objections (Washiongton Post)
<http://www.washtech.com/news/software/7518-1.html>
"Microsoft is continuing to thumb its nose at the idea of any competition anywhere," said Mike Pettit, a lobbyist for a coalition of Microsoft competitors in Silicon Valley. "What they’re trying to do here is to create a world that is going to be all Microsoft, all the time."

 Gates Sells Microsoft Shares (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41798,00.html>
Coleman found it noteworthy that the latest sale from Gates arrived a day before the company was set to unveil its next generation Windows XP operating system for personal computers.

 Anna Virus -- More Insidious And Fickle Than ILOVEYOU (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2685085,00.html>
A day after it first swept through corporate America, the VBS/SST-A virus continues to wreak havoc on e-mail servers.

 MSN's Down To EarthLink Strategy (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2684916,00.html>
The recent suspicion that Microsoft may be courting No. 2 Internet service provider EarthLink lends further evidence that the software giant's Internet strategy has fallen short of expectations.

 Gates: New Windows To Boost PC's Power (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4808578.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft, whose software already runs 90 percent of the world's PCs, is adding features that make it easier to download music, process digital photos and use the Internet as it tries to lure consumers to buy new machines loaded with the software or to upgrade their systems.

[...]

 Microsoft Moving Outlook To Cell Phones (TechWeb)
<http://www.teledotcom.com/article/TEL20010213S0003>

 Bill Gates Discusses Windows XP (The Today Show)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/530305.asp>
Software is Microsoft's future, he says.

 Microsoft Asks 'Are You XPerienced?' (InternetNews)
<http://www.internetnews.com/prod-news/article/0,,9_587461,00.html>

 Justice Taking Hard Line On Microsoft (New York Post)
<http://www.nypostonline.com/business/23743.htm>
The Bush administration is expected to reluctantly pick up its predecessor's antitrust crusade and press for a break-up of Microsoft Corp. this month during the company's appeal of its landmark conviction.

 Windows XP Can Secure Music (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41614,00.html>
A new digital media security solution developed by Microsoft provides protection for content owners while excluding other digital rights management systems.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

 MSN's Down To EarthLink Strategy (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2684916,00.html>
The recent suspicion that Microsoft may be courting No. 2 Internet service provider EarthLink lends further evidence that the software giant's Internet strategy has fallen short of expectations.

 Laws May Clash With Realities Of Technological Limits (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-201-4807510-0.html?tag=owv>
The future of Napster may be determined by what is possible to police--and what is not--on a maze of global networks used by more than 50 million people.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

 Microsoft Wouldn't Rule Out ISP Acquisition (Upside)
<http://www.upside.com/HardwareSoftware/3a89b47e1.html>
Microsoft would not rule out the acquisition of an Internet service provider at the right price, Chief Financial Officer John Connors indicated in a meeting with analysts today.

 The New Yorker Goes Digital (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/Code/chatterbox/chatterbox.asp?Show=2/12/2001&idMessage=7064>
The New Yorker gives online readers more than half the contents of the current issue, which we must now refer to using the retronym "print issue," and which happens this week to be the anniversary issue, which usually has Eustace Tilley on the cover, and which, of course, makes it especially appropriate for The New Yorker to be unveiling its Web site just now, which is not to say that an Internet version of The New Yorker fails to jolt jolly old salts like us. It does.

 What The Record Companies Lost In The Napster Decision (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/moneybox/entries/01-02-13_100755.asp>
By declaring victory over Napster, the industry loses its darling nemesis, its greatest bogeyman.

 Napster Will Remove Copyright-Protected Songs (Inside)
<http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,22189,00.html>
By order of the court, the file-swapping site must purge songs from the system at the record labels' request. The methods, such as searching by a file's name, are far from foolproof.

 You Could Be Seeing This Soon: Pay Per Stream (Interacitve Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2685036,00.html>
Businesses relying on advertising in streaming might be the thing of the past, as Digital Island said it sees clients rapidly expanding businesses based on content sales and converged television-Internet offerings, company officers told industry participants at a conference Feb. 11.

 MSN's Down To EarthLink Strategy (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2684916,00.html>
The recent suspicion that Microsoft may be courting No. 2 Internet service provider EarthLink lends further evidence that the software giant's Internet strategy has fallen short of expectations.

 Napster Battle Shifts To Capitol Hill (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4807208.html?tag=owv>
In the wake of a federal appeals court decision that puts Napster even further on the defensive, the next battleground over digital downloading and its related intellectual property debate could occur in Congress, with a possible rewrite of a copyright law only 2 years old.

 Laws May Clash With Realities Of Technological Limits (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-201-4807510-0.html?tag=owv>
The future of Napster may be determined by what is possible to police--and what is not--on a maze of global networks used by more than 50 million people.

 NBCi Predicts Profit WIthin A Year (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-201-4811734-0.html?tag=owv>
The Web portal operator and online media company said Tuesday it expects break-even results in the fourth quarter of 2001 or early 2002. The company reiterated its previously stated estimate, calling for 2001 revenue of $100 million, but added that it now expects first-quarter sales of $16 million.

 CEO And CFO Depart Buy.com (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4803391.html?tag=owv>
Buy.com, an Internet store that sells computers, digital cameras and other merchandise, said Chief Executive Gregory Hawkins and Chief Financial Officer Mitch Hill have resigned.

 Microsoft Moving Outlook To Cell Phones (TechWeb)
<http://www.teledotcom.com/article/TEL20010213S0003>

 Napster's Subscription Holy Grail Fading (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2684917,00.html>
Regardless of whether Napster survives its copyright battles in court, one thing is certain: People won't be treated to a free ride on the service much longer.

 BT Comes Clean On Mac ADSL Support (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/16868.html>

 AOL Tells MPs 'Broadband Held Back By BT' (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/16863.html>
AOL UK told a group of MPs today that BT was responsible for Britain falling behind in the race to roll-out broadband.

 Napster Looks To The Future (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/techwr/20010213/tCB00V0761.html>
Napster has said it plans to start charging subscription fees by summer, but major record labels haven't yet been persuaded to work side-by-side with the Redwood City-based company and, as a result, will not willingly part with titles from their coveted artists.

 Napster Users Will Swap Files Elsewhere (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20010213/t000013095.html>
Digital pirates, that's what the federal appellate panel reviewing the Napster case labeled the 50 million-plus users of the free song-swapping service in its ruling Monday morning. By the afternoon, many of those users had fired back a response: Napigator ahoy.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ==============

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

 The New Yorker Goes Digital (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/Code/chatterbox/chatterbox.asp?Show=2/12/2001&idMessage=7064>
The New Yorker gives online readers more than half the contents of the current issue, which we must now refer to using the retronym "print issue," and which happens this week to be the anniversary issue, which usually has Eustace Tilley on the cover, and which, of course, makes it especially appropriate for The New Yorker to be unveiling its Web site just now, which is not to say that an Internet version of The New Yorker fails to jolt jolly old salts like us. It does.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 No Demonstrations Without Permit At Speakers' Corner (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,23400,00.html?>
'It is one thing to have a group of people gather to hear a person or persons speak, but quite another when people come for a specific cause.'

 Candidates Must Reveal Money Details (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,23403,00.html?>
Under new Political Donations Act in effect from tomorrow, polls candidates will need a certificate to show they did not receive funds from wrong sources.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

 Singapore Puts Restrictions On Political Donations (AFP)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/afp/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/010214/singapore/afp/Singapore_puts_restictions_on_political_donations.html>

 Lee Yock Suan Refutes Opposition's Criticism Of Donations Act (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/cna/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/010214/singapore/cna/Lee_Yock_Suan_refutes_opposition_s_criticism_of_Donations_Act.html>

 No Demonstrations Without Permit At Speakers' Corner (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,23400,00.html?>
'It is one thing to have a group of people gather to hear a person or persons speak, but quite another when people come for a specific cause.'

 Plenty Of Postal Competition Already (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,23481,00.html?>
Dulcie Chan, Manager, Corporate Communications, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore: The conveyance of printed matter - such as magazines, catalogues and pamphlets - can be provided by any interested party. Such companies are not required to be licensed by IDA.

 Postage Rates Depend On Processing (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,23514,00.html?>
Janine Mathieu, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, Singapore Post: Standard-sized mail incurs a lower operating cost because it can be processed by mail-processing machines and delivered to letterboxes by our postmen.

 Candidates Must Reveal Money Details (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,23403,00.html?>
Under new Political Donations Act in effect from tomorrow, polls candidates will need a certificate to show they did not receive funds from wrong sources.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

 Local Firms Unharmed By Anna (ZDNet Asia)
<http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/dailynews/story/0,2000010021,20181133-1,00.htm>
Enticing as it may have seem, many companies in Singapore managed to escape the wrath of the encrypted mass-mailing worm.

 Only A Quarter Of Time DotCom's IPO Taken Up (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/3/news/nfrnt03.html>
The closely watched initial public offering of Time dotCom -- the largest Malaysian IPO since 1995 -- fell flat on its face when it was undersubscribed by 75 per cent in one of the worst-ever performances by an IPO in the country.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

 Telling It Like It Is On V-Day (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,23352,00.html?>
The age-old putting of loving thoughts to paper is still alive and well as seen in this year's many love wishes.