[MyAppleMenu] Feb 9, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 9 21:05:04 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Virtual PC 4 With Windows 98 (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/virtualpc4.shtml>
Virtual PC has found its target audience, and this latest version will no doubt increase it. The software's not perfect, but hey; neither is the product it's emulating. Version 4 is young, and I'm sure there'll soon be patches to address the instability issue.

 New Chip 'Will Shrink AirPort' (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=2463>
The reduced size of the silicon-base chips allows for smaller base stations, which provides more flexibility in where stations are located, Lucent said.

 Why AOL Should Harvest Apple (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/527624.asp?0nm=-1CV&cp1=1>
The biggest thing AOL needs that it doesn’t have is a media player to call its own. And Apple has perhaps the best one out there in QuickTime.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

 Jobs Confirmed For Tokyo Keynote (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/04/0209mwtokyo.html>
"We are sure that you will feel the breath of Apple's innovative technology," show organizers said in a message on the Expo Web site.

 New Chip 'Will Shrink AirPort' (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=2463>
The reduced size of the silicon-base chips allows for smaller base stations, which provides more flexibility in where stations are located, Lucent said.

 Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X' (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/7361.html>
A recent editorial appearing on osOpinion.com dealt with comments made by Mac creator Jef Raskin and his opinion of Apple’s upcoming next generation operating system OS X. The somewhat controversial editorial generated a ton of mixed response on the our site. As it seems, Mr. Raskin’s thoughts on OS X (and Unix) were very misunderstood and he has since stepped up to the plate to clear the air and responded to the technology community at large.

 Symantec Reveals Software-Updating Patents (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2683490,00.html>
"If you think about virus definitions, they are an entirely different problem (than software)," he said, adding that the major difficulty is that virus definitions change so often.

 iBooks Big Component Of School LAPtop Program (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0102/08.laptop.shtml>
During the "immersion test," lots of info that the participants would normally keep in notebooks will be stored in the Apple portable, which they can take home. Of course, they'll be able to use the iBook for research or homework help.

 Apple May Be Paving Way For iMacs With CD-RWs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4759096.html?tag=cd_pr>
In what could be yet another harbinger of new iMacs, supplies of Apple Computer's two high-end models have dwindled at retailers and vanished from the Mac maker's online store.

 The Readers Speak: Power Mac G4 (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/04/0207rspmg4.html>
Many readers are happy with the latest desktop Macs, but others are calling for faster CPUs and DDR memory. Readers also discussed the new CD-recording features and Apple's removal of the analog audio input.

 Surf's Up With Titanium PowerBook (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0102/08.surf.shtml>
Until the introduction of the new PB, Sony's Vaio machines were the ones to beat, the article said. However, the new PowerBook G4 is now the "Pipeline of portables," though it's a bit of a "bummer" as it doesn't have an expansion bay.

 MacHack 2001 Keynote Speakers: Reunion Of Original Macintosh Team (The Macjunkie)
<http://www.themacjunkie.com/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid981619830,3820,?x>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

 Apple Vs Mac Clones (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/archive/010209.html>

 Will OS X Fix Lacking Software (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=779>

 Mac Lies (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=780>
Apple loves to have Mac only or proprietary things to add to their arsenal, but either way, we have heard nothing about these things and another MacWorld Expo has passed.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

 Virtual PC 4 With Windows 98 (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/virtualpc4.shtml>
Virtual PC has found its target audience, and this latest version will no doubt increase it. The software's not perfect, but hey; neither is the product it's emulating. Version 4 is young, and I'm sure there'll soon be patches to address the instability issue.

 VST FireWire CD-R/W Drive (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/usb/vst-cdrw.html>
If you need portability, the compact size of the VST FireWire CD-R/W Drive puts it head and shoulders above the competition. No power brick. No 3" thick case. Just a compact drive and FireWire cable to tote.

 The New PowerBook Is Ready To Shine (Mac In Europe)
<http://www.macineurope.com/columns/titanium/>
It screams power yet it is more than a savage beast.

 Macworld Lab Puts The Titanium PowerBook Under The Microscope (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/02/08/pblab.html>
With the exception of AltiVec-savvy applications, the PowerBook G4 offers only modest speed gains (although this would still make the PowerBook the fastest portable you can buy on any platform). Graphics speed is a wash between generations, as is wake from sleep time and heat levels, but battery life seems to have improved somewhat.

 Word Has Ruined Me (Right On Mac!)
<http://www.rightonmac.com/articles/01/02/08-microsoft_ruin.html>
There are two little features in Microsoft Office that are spoiling me for other applications. They're called AutoCorrect, and AutoText.

 TiBook Report #6 (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/ibook/ti6.html>
Can a laptop replace a desktop? Absolutely.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

 No Pardon For Microsoft, Sun Chief Urges Bush (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16787.html>
George W Bush's interesting collection of IT supporters showed signs of fissure yesterday as Sun boss Scott McNealy - not anything like as liberal as he looks - raved that Microsoft was guilty, a monopoly, and certainly didn't qualify for any kind of pardon.

 So Many Windows, So Many Doors (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2683763,00.html>
With the company's acknowledgement this week that it is going to brand its next-generation Windows "Whistler" product as "Windows XP," Microsoft has chosen the path of total branding confusion.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

 MS To Court: Why It's OK To String Up Judges (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16790.html>
Microsoft's legal team has helpfully sent the appeals court a letter pointing to a precedent for kicking a judge off a case. But it turns out that the judge referred to is not the one you're most likely to think of.

 No Pardon For Microsoft, Sun Chief Urges Bush (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16787.html>
George W Bush's interesting collection of IT supporters showed signs of fissure yesterday as Sun boss Scott McNealy - not anything like as liberal as he looks - raved that Microsoft was guilty, a monopoly, and certainly didn't qualify for any kind of pardon.

 It Doesn't Matter If Linux Wins, As Long As Microsoft Loses Its Desktop Dominance (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/02/05/010205oppetreley.xml>
But the war between Windows and Linux (or between Windows and any other open-source operating system) is not about quality. At the very least, it is not about quality alone.

 Symantec Reveals Software-Updating Patents (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2683490,00.html>
"If you think about virus definitions, they are an entirely different problem (than software)," he said, adding that the major difficulty is that virus definitions change so often.

 Intel Chip No-Show Fuels 'McKinley' Speculation (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2683568,00.html>
The world's largest chip makers touted their most powerful processors at an industry gathering in San Francisco this week, but perhaps just as noteworthy was a high-profile no-show.

 So Many Windows, So Many Doors (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2683763,00.html>
With the company's acknowledgement this week that it is going to brand its next-generation Windows "Whistler" product as "Windows XP," Microsoft has chosen the path of total branding confusion.

 Companies Slow To Tap Windows 2000 Server (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4761583-0.html?tag=owv>
Most companies are finding that fully adopting Windows 2000 Server technologies rapidly doesn't make business sense. Most companies are deploying the software gradually and pragmatically.

 Plenty Of Upside For Windows -- Ballmer (InformationWeek)
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20010208S0003>
A cooler business climate certainly affects Microsoft's customers, Ballmer says. But "it's not something we're spending a lot of time thinking about," he says. "We're not Alan Greenspan. We're just people trying to help companies invest wisely in IT."

 Most-Admired Rule Makers (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulemaker/2001/rulemaker010208.htm>
Every year, Fortune compiles a list of America's Most-Admired Companies, and Rule Makers usually make a strong showing. This year is no different, with three Makers in the top 10. There are a few surprises as well -- such as Microsoft's social responsibility rating and PepsiCo's dominance over the venerable Coke.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

 The Napster Parasites (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/02/09/napster_parasites/index.html>
Online marketers are snooping around in your hard drive, taking notes on every MP3 file you download.

 Getting to Domain Argument (WIred News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,41683,00.html>
On Thursday, a House subcommittee will give critics a chance to complain about the process the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers used when approving or rejecting the additions.

 Why AOL Should Harvest Apple (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/527624.asp?0nm=-1CV&cp1=1>
The biggest thing AOL needs that it doesn’t have is a media player to call its own. And Apple has perhaps the best one out there in QuickTime.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

 Asia, The Emerging Net Giant (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41717,00.html>
Asian Web surfers will constitute 27 percent of the online world by 2004, but poor infrastructure and expensive access rates still hamper connectivity in many countries, a new study found.

 AOL, Freeserve 'May Sue BT' (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=2469>
BT is facing legal action from rivals AOL and Freeserve, who claim the telecom giant is connecting more of its own DSL (digital subscriber line) customers than its competitors.

 The Napster Parasites (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/02/09/napster_parasites/index.html>
Online marketers are snooping around in your hard drive, taking notes on every MP3 file you download.

 Getting to Domain Argument (WIred News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,41683,00.html>
On Thursday, a House subcommittee will give critics a chance to complain about the process the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers used when approving or rejecting the additions.

 AvantGo Looks For Early Lead In Wireless-Software Race (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4757133.html?tag=owv>
AvantGo is one of a few known--and several unknown--software companies riding the coattails of the Palm revolution. These software makers--developing back-end platforms, front-end applications, and Web browsers for handheld computers--are proliferating. And it's no wonder.

 Motley Fool Cuts Staff, Folds Soapbox (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4759565.html?tag=owv>
The Motley Fool laid off about 30 percent of its staff Thursday, becoming the latest online publisher to recoil amid cost pressures.

 How To Survive As A Dot-com (CNBC)
<http://www.cnbc.com/cd/gx.cgi/cs?pagename=FutureTense/Apps/Xcelerate/Render&c=cnbcarticle&cid=cc1PLWADYIC>
The ones still around can survive, and even thrive, if they learn from the mistakes of their peers.

 Why AOL Should Harvest Apple (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/527624.asp?0nm=-1CV&cp1=1>
The biggest thing AOL needs that it doesn’t have is a media player to call its own. And Apple has perhaps the best one out there in QuickTime.

 BT Is Britain's 'Internet Villain' (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16742.html>
BT chief, Sir Peter Bonfield, is Britain's "Internet Villain", the industry decided last night.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 We Haven't Gone Titsup.com Says SuSE's Wiegand (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16772.html>
No, he doesn't think Linux businesses are inevitably doomed, and SuSE is sticking around to be profitable.

 It Doesn't Matter If Linux Wins, As Long As Microsoft Loses Its Desktop Dominance (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/02/05/010205oppetreley.xml>
But the war between Windows and Linux (or between Windows and any other open-source operating system) is not about quality. At the very least, it is not about quality alone.

 Linux Doesn't Work, SuSE Chief Admits (Fairfax I.T.)
<http://www.it.fairfax.com.au/breaking/20010208/A20552-2001Feb8.html>
Linux distributor SuSE sent a ripple through the open source community today, not so much for laying off three-quarters of its US staff, but with the admission from the company's chief that Linux as a business does not work.

 Big Guns Move Linux Into The Mainstream (ComputerWeekly)
<http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/cwarchive/daily/20010208/cwcontainer.asp?name=C1.HTML&SubSection=6&ct=daily>
The growing capabilities of business-critical Linux applications were on show at LinuxWorld Expo in New York last week as the industry's big guns fired a salvo across Microsoft's bows.

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

[...]

 SuSE US Cans Three Quarters Of Its Staff (Linuxgram)
<http://www.linuxgram.com/newsitem.phtml?sid=109&aid=11712>

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

 Motley Fool Cuts Staff, Folds Soapbox (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4759565.html?tag=owv>
The Motley Fool laid off about 30 percent of its staff Thursday, becoming the latest online publisher to recoil amid cost pressures.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Cable Modem Splitters Face Action (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,13250,00.html?>
Singapore Cable Vision (SCV) and SingTel will shut you down if your little do-it-yourself home network disrupts their operations.

 DBS Moves To Cut Queues (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,22335,00.html?>
Mr Paillart was clear in his bottom line on bank branches: 'We have before us a bump in the road. 'Best bank' does not mean most branches. But it does mean best branches, best products, best people and best customer service.'

 POSBank Was Not Y2K Compliant: DBS Chief (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/5/news/nfrnt02.html>
One reason why DBS Bank acquired POSBank was that the latter was not Y2K compliant, DBS vice-chairman and chief executive Philippe Paillart revealed yesterday.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

 We Could Have Done More, Says DBS Boss (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,22333,00.html?>
We had the impression that we were doing the maximum, but the feedback we are getting is that when we thought we did, well, sometimes we did not.

 DBS Moves To Cut Queues (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,22335,00.html?>
Mr Paillart was clear in his bottom line on bank branches: 'We have before us a bump in the road. 'Best bank' does not mean most branches. But it does mean best branches, best products, best people and best customer service.'

 POSBank Was Not Y2K Compliant: DBS Chief (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/5/news/nfrnt02.html>
One reason why DBS Bank acquired POSBank was that the latter was not Y2K compliant, DBS vice-chairman and chief executive Philippe Paillart revealed yesterday.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

 It's Free For All On The Web (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,13228,00.html?>
More and more Internet portals are offering local surfers freebies to capture eyeballs.

 Cable Modem Splitters Face Action (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,13250,00.html?>
Singapore Cable Vision (SCV) and SingTel will shut you down if your little do-it-yourself home network disrupts their operations.

 Coming To A Train Station Near You (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,13212,00.html?>
Commuters will be able to get information such as arrival times for the next two trains, service interruptions and delays, and when to catch the last train.