[MyAppleMenu] Feb 7, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 7 21:05:04 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Down The Digital Lifestyle Road (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/scope/010207.html>
Advantages to using Windows with all its problems were eliminated when Apple got in line with peripheral manufacturers and started developing its own, superior software to complement the Mac OS.

 Apple And The Lap(top) Of Luxury (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/2001/02/19/tec.html>
>From its new titanium notebook Mac to its jazzy music software, Apple remains the coolest. Too bad cool does not equal profitable.

 Mac Suits Up For Business (InformationWeek)
<http://www.informationweek.com/823/apple.htm>
Long ignored as a business option, the Macintosh is achieving interoperability and improved performance through better software from Microsoft and Apple, making the Mac a more viable choice for the desktop than it has ever been.

 Apple: Best Mea Culpa Ever? (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/community/pod/2001/010206.htm>
I have no problem if you choose to be a Windows user. I also have no doubt that for some, perhaps even many, Windows offers a superior computing alternative to Mac. But, for God's sake, spare me your condescension because I choose not to use it.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

 AOL: Mac OS X Support Coming 'Later This Year' (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0102/07.aol.shtml>

 Adobe FrameMaker R.I.P.? (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=3138>
Adobe denies the rumor, saying that it is "completely committed to developing and supporting the FrameMaker product.

 Mac Suits Up For Business (InformationWeek)
<http://www.informationweek.com/823/apple.htm>
Long ignored as a business option, the Macintosh is achieving interoperability and improved performance through better software from Microsoft and Apple, making the Mac a more viable choice for the desktop than it has ever been.

 Apple To Drop ATI For Nvidia (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/16492.html>

 QPS Introduces Quadslim! Palm-Sized Portable FireWire Drivers (The Macjunkie)
<http://www.themacjunkie.com/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid981486563,3307,?x>

 The Basics Of BASIC (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/04/0206dkebasic.html>

 ATI Discusses New Laptop Chip (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/02/04/0206radeontalk.html>
McPhee explained that while Mobility Radeon has many similarities to its desktop cousin, the laptop chip lacks integrated hardware transform, clipping and lighting (TCL) features. Hardware TCL has been cited by developers of 3-D applications--including many game makers--as vital to providing cutting-edge performance, since it enables a computer's graphics subsystem to handle many of the more intense geometric calculations that would otherwise be done by the CPU.

 iMac DV+, SE "Temporarily Unavailable" At Apple Store (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0102/06.imac.shtml>
Historically, availability of certain models becomes constrained as new models are about to be released. Macworld Expo Tokyo is less than four weeks away and there is much speculation that CEO Steve Jobs will possibly introduce new iMac models during his keynote address on February 22.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

 Down The Digital Lifestyle Road (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/scope/010207.html>
Advantages to using Windows with all its problems were eliminated when Apple got in line with peripheral manufacturers and started developing its own, superior software to complement the Mac OS.

 .NET, OS X And Windows' Future (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=777>

 Macs Return to the Business Market (Artificial Cheese)
<http://www.artificialcheese.com/articles/february01/business/>
You can break up the computer market into three large categories. There are professional, personal, and business users. Apple has always controlled the professional market, and is making a comeback with personal users, but what about this third group? What's Apple doing to get these valuable customers? Why did they lose them in the first place? Will Apple be getting some more market share in the near future?

 Gentleman's Agreement (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/7287.html>
Apple has a history with many of its users; we remember how this stuff used to work. The question is: should it still work that way? Are the rules created out of the war with Microsoft still applicable or has Apple simply outgrown its grassroots heritage? If so, what does Apple do with a generation of old soldiers and can Apple survive if they fade away?

 My Beige Landscape Has Been Compromised, Or Steve's Translucent Dream Gone Awry (Right On Mac!)
<http://www.rightonmac.com/articles/01/02/06-beige.html>
If a consumer were not discerning, an office could end up looking like a pukish blend of mismatched day glow plastics, leaving you to wonder if we ever left the '70s.

 Apple: Best Mea Culpa Ever? (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/community/pod/2001/010206.htm>
I have no problem if you choose to be a Windows user. I also have no doubt that for some, perhaps even many, Windows offers a superior computing alternative to Mac. But, for God's sake, spare me your condescension because I choose not to use it.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

 Building A Home Network (Orange County Register)
<http://www.miamiherald.com/content/today/business/digdocs/080347.htm>
Wireless networking has become faster, more dependable and standardized. A slew of options are now available to make a home or small office ``local area network'' competitive with the Ethernet networks that are today's basic system. But before investing thousands of dollars, you should realize that not all the options are compatible, and not all do everything you probably want.

 PowerBook G4 500 Vs The PC World (MacMonkey.com)
<http://www.macmonkey.com/editorials.php?task=view&articleID=126>

 Which Graphics Card Is Right? (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/02/06/nvidia.html>
Lost amid the Macworld Expo hoopla over shiny PowerBooks and OS X ship dates was the news that Nvidia's GeForce 2 MX graphics processor had been added to the Power Mac G4 configuration list. That means you can configure the new shipping G4 towers to include your choice of the Nvidia GeForce 2 MX, ATI Radeon AGP or the older ATI Rage 128 Pro graphics cards.

 Apple And The Lap(top) Of Luxury (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/2001/02/19/tec.html>
>From its new titanium notebook Mac to its jazzy music software, Apple remains the coolest. Too bad cool does not equal profitable.

 Rune (MacNN)
<http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/rune/rune.phtml>
Truly a joy to play, find an excuse to splurge this Valentine's Day even if you have someone special to devote the funds towards. It's that good.

 TiBook Vs Cube As Portable Desktop Replacement (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/02/06/index.html>
Personally, as regular readers know, I am mightily smitten by the TiBook, which is very much the current Apple of my eye, and as much as I admire the styling of the Cube, the all-of-a-piece compactness of the PowerBook appeals to me greatly, as does the 3:2 screen.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

 MS Users May Experience Pain (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41622,00.html>
Software consultant David Moskowitz, president of Productivity Solutions, warned that requiring users to make phone calls before reinstalling software could result in irate customers.

 Microsoft Has Difficulties WIth IM (Associated Press)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/527403.asp>
Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday admitted it experienced problems with the servers that handle the company’s instant messaging system, marking the latest in a series of problems with the software giant’s Internet-based services.

 Jackson In The Hot Seat In Microsoft Appeal (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4735118.html?tag=owv>
The appeals court hearing Microsoft's antitrust appeal gave the company something it didn't ask for--another crack at U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

 Down The Digital Lifestyle Road (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/scope/010207.html>
Advantages to using Windows with all its problems were eliminated when Apple got in line with peripheral manufacturers and started developing its own, superior software to complement the Mac OS.

 Brace Yourself For The New Windows XP UI (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16703.html>

 MS Users May Experience Pain (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41622,00.html>
Software consultant David Moskowitz, president of Productivity Solutions, warned that requiring users to make phone calls before reinstalling software could result in irate customers.

 Microsoft, Netscape Email Flaw Uncovered (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1117286>
A flaw has been uncovered in Microsoft's Outlook and Netscape's Mail email software, that allows senders to surreptitiously track when their messages are opened and whether they are forwarded to other recipients.

 Microsoft Has Difficulties WIth IM (Associated Press)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/527403.asp>
Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday admitted it experienced problems with the servers that handle the company’s instant messaging system, marking the latest in a series of problems with the software giant’s Internet-based services.

 MSN Messenger Caps Free Phone Calls (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4732145.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft and Net2Phone have placed limits on free Internet phone calls offered over MSN Messenger, marking the latest disappointment for consumers hoping to wipe out long-distance bills by turning to the Web.

 Consumers Could Fall Prey To "Love" Bug Variants (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4733888-0.html?tag=owv>
A maker of antivirus software warns that computer users may not have learned much from the "Love" bug, which caused so much disaster for Internet users last May.

 Jackson In The Hot Seat In Microsoft Appeal (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4735118.html?tag=owv>
The appeals court hearing Microsoft's antitrust appeal gave the company something it didn't ask for--another crack at U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson.

 Is Microsoft The Next AOL? (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulebreaker/2001/rulebreaker010206.htm>

 Microsoft Lets Companies Chip Into Windows CE (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4732401.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft on Tuesday formally announced a program that will give chipmakers access to the next version of Windows CE, so they can design chips to power embedded devices ranging from factory equipment to cell phones to handheld computers.

 Living In A Microsoft Country (And Speaking The Language)? (Slashdot)
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/01/31/219214>

 Windows Me Tricks Will Save Your Battery (IDG)
<http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/02/06/me.tricks.idg/index.html>
Perhaps to celebrate the first few months of its new baby, Microsoft recently released a set of tips for Windows Me that might not be obvious from the documentation.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

 A Year Later, DDoS Attacks Still A Major Web Threat (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4735597-0.html?tag=owv>
Even the Internet has a sense of fate.

 Is Amazon's Honor Plan Honorable? (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41660,00.html>
What the official announcement didn't mention is that the technology used for the new feature increases Amazon's ability to track surfing habits of the 30 million customers in its database.

 Syndicate Or Die (eWEEK)
<http://www8.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2680124,00.html>
Under pressure to find new revenues beyond online advertising, dot-com content sites are increasingly syndicating their content to other sites for a price. Syndication, experts say, offers not only a new source of revenue but also a way to quickly build traffic at a relatively low cost, particularly if e-businesses make use of a growing group of new online syndication networks.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

 The New eConomy (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/economy.html>
One winner and a lot of niche players. If the niche players know the game, don't expect to unseat the top dog, and are content no to be #1, they can survive and thrive.

 TV-Distributed Web To be PG-13 (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,41616,00.html>
Television broadcasters will soon start delivering Internet entertainment at better-than-broadband speed, but the content is only going to be PG-13.

 A Year Later, DDoS Attacks Still A Major Web Threat (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4735597-0.html?tag=owv>
Even the Internet has a sense of fate.

 Amazon To Charge For Book Promotions (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4739134.html?tag=owv>
Amazon.com, the Internet bookseller, will begin charging publishers to have their books recommended in e-mail promotions that it sends to its customers, according to a report.

 Net Voting? Keep Your Pants On (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/politics/0,1283,41648,00.html>
Today, almost all the companies that got into the Internet voting business a couple years ago are shifting their emphasis away from your underwear and toward your local polling place.

 AOL: Mac OS X Support Coming 'Later This Year' (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0102/07.aol.shtml>

 Microsoft, Netscape Email Flaw Uncovered (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1117286>
A flaw has been uncovered in Microsoft's Outlook and Netscape's Mail email software, that allows senders to surreptitiously track when their messages are opened and whether they are forwarded to other recipients.

 Market Place: A No-Nonsense Portrait Of Amazon (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/07/technology/07PLAC.html?pagewanted=all>
Unless the company can raise money from investors or get a loan from a bank, Mr. Suria stated that Amazon's working capital would turn negative in the third quarter — just as it gears up for the Christmas selling season.

 On Campus, Free Fast Internet Access Is No Longer A Given (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/07/technology/07EDUCATION.html?pagewanted=all>
Some colleges and universities say they are reconsidering their approaches to providing Internet access. Is it an academic tool or just another telecommunications service?

 Thoughts On Amazon Honor System (Evhead)
<http://www.evhead.com/longer/2271281_essays.asp>
One major drawback to AHS, though, is that you can't get the names and addresses of people who give you money.

 Microsoft Has Difficulties WIth IM (Associated Press)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/527403.asp>
Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday admitted it experienced problems with the servers that handle the company’s instant messaging system, marking the latest in a series of problems with the software giant’s Internet-based services.

 These Aren't Your Father's Browsers... (Internet.com)
<http://browserwatch.internet.com/newsletter/BW-020601.htm>
And if you think that browsers are all that's coming out of Mozilla, you're in for a surprise.

 Amazon Wants To Sell Your Stuff (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,41611,00.html>
Using the same concept that allowed readers to pay Stephen King a dollar per installment of The Plant, Amazon.com has unveiled "The Honor System" -- a way for authors, musicians and just about anyone else with a product and a website to collect voluntary small-dollar amounts for what they offer online.

 Is Amazon's Honor Plan Honorable? (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41660,00.html>
What the official announcement didn't mention is that the technology used for the new feature increases Amazon's ability to track surfing habits of the 30 million customers in its database.

 MSN Messenger Caps Free Phone Calls (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4732145.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft and Net2Phone have placed limits on free Internet phone calls offered over MSN Messenger, marking the latest disappointment for consumers hoping to wipe out long-distance bills by turning to the Web.

 CNET Profit Meets Analyst Expectations (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4734306.html?tag=owv>
Internet media company CNET Networks on Tuesday reported a fourth-quarter operating profit that met analysts' forecasts, but it showed a hefty net loss and warned that revenues next year would fall short of estimates.

 Amazon Slams Report Predicting "Creditor Squeeze" (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4728450.html?tag=owv>
Amazon.com on Tuesday slammed a new report from one of its harshest critics, a Lehman Brothers analyst who warned that the Internet retailer faces a "creditor squeeze" in the second half of 2001 and urged that investors "avoid" its convertible bonds.

 Voter.com Site Shuts Down (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Voter-Site-Shutdown.html?Partner=UserLand&RefId=Pj_EFnnunFn.g>
Despite the backing of both major political parties, over a thousand special interest groups and Watergate reporter Carl Bernstein, the site failed to gather enough funding to continue operations.

 Is Microsoft The Next AOL? (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulebreaker/2001/rulebreaker010206.htm>

 Pink Slips For Former Red Hos (The Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/news/breakfast/2001/breakfast010206.htm>
The Internet is not going away -- but flawed business models are. As a consumer, the ramifications might be disconcerting. The days of free quality content and amazing e-commerce deals are numbered. Individual and institutional investors are not going to be conned into picking up the tab again.

 Syndicate Or Die (eWEEK)
<http://www8.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2680124,00.html>
Under pressure to find new revenues beyond online advertising, dot-com content sites are increasingly syndicating their content to other sites for a price. Syndication, experts say, offers not only a new source of revenue but also a way to quickly build traffic at a relatively low cost, particularly if e-businesses make use of a growing group of new online syndication networks.

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

 Linux Not Behind Investment Bank Open Source Shingig (the Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16708.html>

 Linux Gathers Force (Sa.Internet.com)
<http://www.sa.internet.com/InternetNews/newsarc/01/02/04.htm>
The open source operating system (OS) developed by Linus Torvalds and symbolized by the penguin, Linux, has slowly been entering the mainstream and is now a serious contender in the server market. Serious enough to receive the backing of some of the biggest players in the IT arena, companies like IBM, Intel and even Sun Microsystems pledging their support to the avatar of the Open Source movement.

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

 Daily Variety Getting A Little Technical (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4737187.html?tag=mn_hd>
Instead of closing shop, Variety is reorganizing its monthly magazine eV into a section in Daily Variety.

 Keith Blanchard '88 Finds Beer, Babes, And Juvenile Jokes Can Make A Rewarding Career (Princeton Alumni Weekly)
<http://www.princeton.edu/~paw/archive_new/PAW00-01/09-0207/features2.html>
It does not pretend to be like GQ, or Esquire, or any of the other men's titles. It's for regular guys. Critics call it simplistic, retrograde, and offensive, but millions of readers also find it very funny and very right.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Singapore Men Regard Handphones As Vital To Love Life (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2001/02/07/20010207au.html>
More Singapore men than women are using their mobiles to conduct intimate conversations, reported a recent survey commissioned by Siemens Mobile Devices through independent research house Asia Market Intelligence.

 Singaporean Activist Summoned Over Demonstration (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1156000/1156146.stm>
A civil rights activist in Singapore says he's been summoned to report to a police station over a demonstration backing free speech.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

 Top Malaysian Official's Singapore Trip May Mend Fences (Associated Press)
<http://asia.biz.yahoo.com/news/asian_markets/article.html?s=asiafinance/news/010207/asian_markets/dowjones/Top_Malaysian_Official_s_Singapore_Trip_May_Mend_Fences.html>
Abdullah was quoted Wednesday in Singapore's Straits Times newspaper as saying he would like to see more cooperation between leaders at all levels.

 Set Broad Criteria For Overseas Voters (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,21949,00.html?>
Such Singaporeans can be compared to foreign talent here, who might have left home for economic reasons but have no intention of relinquishing their citizenship because they want to return one day.

 MOE Should Try Out Small Size (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,21992,00.html?>
My question is: When is MOE going to even try this out? Please don't give stock replies or sidetrack the issue.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

 Singapore Men Regard Handphones As Vital To Love Life (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2001/02/07/20010207au.html>
More Singapore men than women are using their mobiles to conduct intimate conversations, reported a recent survey commissioned by Siemens Mobile Devices through independent research house Asia Market Intelligence.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

 Movies This Week (Movies Online)
<http://www.movies-online.com.sg/>
Legend of Bagger Vance - Will Smith, Matt Damon, Charlize Theron (PG); Urban Legend: Final Cuts (PG - Censored); Wedding Planner - Jennifer Lopez (PG); Grey Owl - Pierce Brosnan (PG - Censored)

 Was The $8m-$10m Well Spent By The Singapore Art Museum? (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,13036,00.html?>
The acquisition by the Singapore Art Museum of over 1,500 works from Kenneth Tyler's collection has raised more than a few artistic eyebrows.

 No Money For Rent (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,21885,00.html?>
The National Arts Council has decided not to fund the Singapore run of the hit Broadway musical, Rent, which has been slapped with an R(A) rating.