[MyAppleMenu] Feb 1, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Feb 1 21:05:15 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 A Shiny New PowerBook Comes Home (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/02/01/pbg4.html>
The Titanium PowerBook G4 power supply sports a much smaller connector. That's because the new portable is so thin, there wasn't enough room to accommodate the old plug. Oh well, there goes my stockpile of interchangeable power bricks!

 Jobs: Switch To OS X Will Be Gradual, But Steady (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.jobsosx.shtml>
"I'm often asked, 'When should I switch?' There's no one answer; it all depends on what apps you use and when they're Carbonized," Jobs said. "When enough are Carbonized, that's when you should switch."

 Apple Begins Shipping Titanium Laptops (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4671085.html?tag=lh>
Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs kicked off the company's financial analyst conference Wednesday by announcing that the company has started shipping its Titanium PowerBook G4 laptop.

 Apple Rep Discusses New OS X Build (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/01/28/0131osx.html>
The latest build of Mac OS X -- shown by Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the recent Macworld Expo San Francisco -- has affected all major components of the user interface in one way or another, said Chris Bourdon, Apple's Mac OS X product marketing manager.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

 Titanium Hits eBay (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/02/01/0519236&mode=thread>

 It's Official: Opera For Linux And Mac Will Be Free (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4673656-0.html?tag=owv>
Opera Software hasn't yet put the finishing touches on its forthcoming Mac and Linux browser releases. But the software maker plans to announce Thursday that it will make free versions of Opera 5.0 for both of these operating systems available later this year.

 Apple Still Sees Profit This Quarter (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010131/tc/apple_profit_dc_1.html>

 Apple's Jobs Looks To Loyal Customers In Hard Times (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010131/tc/apple_strategy_dc_1.html>

 Jobs: Our Products To Be Best, Not Cheapest (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.jobsbest.shtml>
"Innovation costs a little more, but our customers have signaled to us that innovative products are the kind they want to buy," he said. "Our goal isn't to be the cheapest in the market, but the best. If this means that [our products] sometimes cost 10-15 percent more, then they will be."

 Jobs: Switch To OS X Will Be Gradual, But Steady (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.jobsosx.shtml>
"I'm often asked, 'When should I switch?' There's no one answer; it all depends on what apps you use and when they're Carbonized," Jobs said. "When enough are Carbonized, that's when you should switch."

 Apple Ships PowerBook G4 (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/01/28/0131applemeet.html>

 Demo Gods Frown During Jobs' Presentation (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.jobsdemo.shtml>
It wasn't the best of days for Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who led a semi-annual meeting for financial analysts. The "demo gods" frowned upon him as there were technical difficulties in controlling the PowerPoint presentation via a "clicker."

 Jobs: Cube Has Found Its Niche (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.jobscube.shtml>
"It's a disappointment to us that this market isn't as big as we thought," Jobs said. "It's smaller than expected, but is a definite market. And we're very pleased with the Cube. Apple has never received more glowing reviews than we have for the Cube."

 Jobs: Apple's 'Pro' Customers Big Part Of 2001 Strategy (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.jobspro.shtml>
"We're spending a lot of energy on reaching our base of pro customers with exciting new products. And this will be an important part of our strategy this year."

 Jobs: SuperDriver In Consumer Macs In 2002 (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.superdrive.shtml>
"I think that it's possible to bring the SuperDrive down into our consumer products next calendar year, 2002," Jobs said. "I think we have to make enough of them and bring the cost down. Standard stuff, but it takes time."

 Apple Begins Shipping Titanium Laptops (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4671085.html?tag=lh>
Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs kicked off the company's financial analyst conference Wednesday by announcing that the company has started shipping its Titanium PowerBook G4 laptop.

 Apple Slips To 8th In US Laptop Sales; 10th Worldwide (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/31.powerbook.shtml>
Sales of PowerBooks and iBooks to vendors slipped four percent domestically and 3.3 percent internationally in the calendar fourth quarter of 2000, giving Apple the lowest worldwide growth rate year-over-year among all laptop PC makers, a new market report says.

 Apple Rep Discusses New OS X Build (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2001/01/28/0131osx.html>
The latest build of Mac OS X -- shown by Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the recent Macworld Expo San Francisco -- has affected all major components of the user interface in one way or another, said Chris Bourdon, Apple's Mac OS X product marketing manager.

 Analysts Cautiously Optimistic About Apple (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4668066-0.html?tag=ch_mh>
As Apple Computer prepares for an open conference call with financial analysts, many company observers have made tentative predictions that it will likely show a slight profit in its second quarter--despite a first-quarter loss of $247 million.

 Mac OS X Pre-Order News (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=2879>

 Apple 'Reorgs' Service Department (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=2880>

 Apple Programmers Display Sense Of Humor (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=2870>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

 Relative Worth (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/01/01/31/index.html>
Repeat after me: Quality is only one factor and for most people, it's not the most important.

 Yet Another Reason To Get A PowerBook (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/myturn/010131.html>
Then there's the coolness factor.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

 A Shiny New PowerBook Comes Home (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/02/01/pbg4.html>
The Titanium PowerBook G4 power supply sports a much smaller connector. That's because the new portable is so thin, there wasn't enough room to accommodate the old plug. Oh well, there goes my stockpile of interchangeable power bricks!

 First Impressions: TiBook (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/ibook/firstg4.html>
This thing gets hot, probably too hot for comfortable laptop use.

 Beware Dust (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/macdan/010131mm.html>
>From the time the first Macintosh 128 was taken out of its box by its owner in 1984 up to the today's Cube, the same enemy has come to harm the Mac. It is small, persistent, and builds up its forces to titanic sizes. Macintosh users, one and all, low-end and state-of-the-art, beware this enemy -- dust.

 Classic Mac Games Updated (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/gaming/2k1208.html>

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

 Microsoft Phasing Out Windows 95 (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4669756.html?tag=ch_mh>
Microsoft has taken steps to ensure that Windows 95 will become an asterisk in terms of sales. One of Microsoft's most popular products among both consumers and businesses, the operating system is still in use at many corporations today.

 Microsoft In The Bush Years (National Review)
<http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment013101b.shtml>
In the best of circumstances — the appellate court reverses the trial judge's findings and takes divestiture off the table — the new administration won't have to do much at all. But that is putting the cart before the horse. The first priority is to recognize the Microsoft case for what it represents — a reversal of trends in antitrust doctrine and a challenge to conservative principles of limited government and free markets.

 Linux Looks to Take On The World (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41500,00.html>
This year LinuxWorld will feature tools that will help bring the alternative operating system squarely into the mainstream.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

 Microsoft's UltimateTV On Pause (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4673759-0.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft's UltimateTV service is ready, but consumers will have to wait to use it because the hardware hasn't hit retail shelves yet.

 Bill Gates Files To Sell 1.5 Mln Shares (CBS MarketWatch)
<http://www2.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B4A31852A%2DCED7%2D46BA%2DAF0F%2D2BE62E038CC9%7D&source=htx/http2_mw>

[...]

 AMD Offers Linux Simulator For 64-Bit Chips (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4666829.html?tag=ch_mh>
Advanced Micro Devices has released a Linux version of a simulator application to help programmers write software for its upcoming 64-bit chips.

 Compaq To Resell Intel Appliances (Planet IT)
<http://www.planetit.com/techcenters/docs/networks-advanced_ip_services/news/PIT20010130S0005>

 Pentium 4 Price Blitz To Push Out PIII (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/16505.html>
Intel's latest roadmap update reveal an ongoing process of price cuts through to 27 May, driving down the cost of adopting the Pentium 4 and squeezing the last few drops out of the PIII.

 MS Exec: Linux Is Going Down (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41527,00.html>
Microsoft thinks Linux is doomed, and predicts that many Linux businesses will falter and fail before the end of the year.

 Linux Looks to Take On The World (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41500,00.html>
This year LinuxWorld will feature tools that will help bring the alternative operating system squarely into the mainstream.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

 New York To Eisner: 'Drop Dead' (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41020,00.html>
"The reality is that traditional companies are spending a lot more money on [Internet] advertising than they ever have. It's very frustrating to me because the story is not being told. So you've get somebody like Eisner getting up there, he's got no idea what he's talking about. And he's a leadership figure."

 It's Official: Opera For Linux And Mac Will Be Free (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4673656-0.html?tag=owv>
Opera Software hasn't yet put the finishing touches on its forthcoming Mac and Linux browser releases. But the software maker plans to announce Thursday that it will make free versions of Opera 5.0 for both of these operating systems available later this year.

 Watching Words On The Web (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1146000/1146589.stm>
Robots could soon be patrolling the web to track the source of rumours and slander.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

 Sohu.com Takes Top China Web Position - Iamasia (Newsbytes)
<http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/161326.html>

 New York To Eisner: 'Drop Dead' (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41020,00.html>
"The reality is that traditional companies are spending a lot more money on [Internet] advertising than they ever have. It's very frustrating to me because the story is not being told. So you've get somebody like Eisner getting up there, he's got no idea what he's talking about. And he's a leadership figure."

 It's Official: Opera For Linux And Mac Will Be Free (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-4673656-0.html?tag=owv>
Opera Software hasn't yet put the finishing touches on its forthcoming Mac and Linux browser releases. But the software maker plans to announce Thursday that it will make free versions of Opera 5.0 for both of these operating systems available later this year.

 Time Warner Cable To Offer AOL Net Access (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4668817.html?tag=owv>
AOL Time Warner Chief Executive Gerald Levin said Wednesday that Time Warner Cable has agreed to carry the America Online Internet service on its high-speed network.

 Watching Words On The Web (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1146000/1146589.stm>
Robots could soon be patrolling the web to track the source of rumours and slander.

 AOL Time Warner In A "Different Zone" (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/news/2001/aol010131.htm>
AOL Time Warner sees 2001 shaping up as a strong year once a comparatively slow Q1 is out of the way. Despite hand-wringing over the state of online and offline advertising, the company says ad sales will drive its revenue and earnings because, in the words of its CEO, it is in a "a different zone" than the competition.

 Should We Sell Amazon? (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulebreaker/2001/rulebreaker010131.htm>
Amazon.com's guidance for 2001 calls for 20% to 30% sales growth as it hunkers down and begins to fortify itself as, yes, a "retailer." That Amazon is ending its expansion for now as basically just a retailer raises the question, "Should we sell and replace Amazon?" This Rule Breaker manager is considering it.

 Amazon.com: Q4 As Never Seen Before (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/community/pod/2001/010131.htm>
After some original research, I can pretty much guarantee that Amazon hasn't cut anyone from its IR team yet. A fifteen-page earnings release is a new Amazon best. Let's get down to it.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 IBM To Spend $300 Million More On Linux (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/01/31/010131hnspend.xml>
IBM announced Wednesday that it is planning to spend another $300 million on Linux. This is in addition to the $1 billion it has already earmarked for Linux development.

 Borland Hopes To Tow Windows Programmers Toward Linux (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4669079.html?tag=ch_mh>
Bruised software maker Borland introduced programming tools Wednesday that it said will help Windows programmers easily transfer programs to Linux.

 AMD Offers Linux Simulator For 64-Bit Chips (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4666829.html?tag=ch_mh>
Advanced Micro Devices has released a Linux version of a simulator application to help programmers write software for its upcoming 64-bit chips.

 Linux Worm: Sign Of Success (Interactive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2680159,00.html>
This month's Ramen worm was a faltering step in Linux's march to what boosters jokingly call "Total World Domination," security experts said.

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

 Sun Boosts Java On Linux Gadgets (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4664896.html?tag=owv>
Sun Microsystems has released a version of Java for small gadgets using the Linux operating system, the company said Wednesday.

 Dell To Begin Shipping Factory-Loaded Oracle For Linux (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/01/31/010131hndelloracle.xml>

[...]

 This LinuxWorld Will Have A Big Blue Tinge (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdii.com/industry_list.asp?mode=news&doc_id=ZD2680450>
Continuing to toot its Linux horn, IBM will start the LinuxWorld Conference and Expo on Wednesday morning with a slew of hardware and software announcements supporting the open-source operating system.

 Oracle Selects Dell As Linux Partner (TechWeb)
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010131S0001>
As part of the deal, Dell Computer Corp. will establish a center this spring at its Round Rock, Texas, facility, where customers can develop and test Oracle-based applications for the Red Hat Linux operating system, and where Dell will ensure Oracle server configurations are tuned for Intel-based platforms.

 MS Exec: Linux Is Going Down (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41527,00.html>
Microsoft thinks Linux is doomed, and predicts that many Linux businesses will falter and fail before the end of the year.

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

 When Talking Heads Roll : Maybe It's Time For CNN To Focus On The News (Newsday)
<http://www.newsday.com/features/daily/tv0131.htm>
What CNN should be doing is strengthening, not weakening newsgathering, which was its bread and butter.

 Marin Collaborator Recalls 'Camelot' (Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/feder31.html>
The station that had once sworn off ever using its newscast to exploit network entertainment programming would be lopping off five precious minutes of news time in order to do exactly that.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 BG Lee Met With Lacklustre Questions From NTU Students (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,12739,00.html?>
These are old issues which have been tackled ad nauseum. But the messages did not seem to have reached Singapore's future leaders.

 Taiwan Should Not Try To Copy Singapore (Taipei Times)
<http://www.taipeitimes.com/news/2001/01/31/story/0000071768>
Recently, some political figures in Taiwan have followed Lee's ways in a silly manner. They seem to be learning Lee's mean side, rather than his good side. They even seem to view him as a role model for litigation. I wonder what they could be thinking?

 Voluntary Pension Scheme From April 1 (Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/4/news/nfrnt01.html>
The government plans to put in place by April 1 a voluntary supplementary retirement scheme (SRS), laced with some tax incentives, to encourage Singaporeans to save more for their old age.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

 Ideals Rule, Not Bread-And-Butter Issues (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,12737,00.html?>
Co-chairmen Jennifer Lee and Viswa Sadasivan said that the broad discussions revolved primarily around three issues: that of a nationhood, the idea and policy behind education, and the role of National Service.

 BG Lee Met With Lacklustre Questions From NTU Students (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,12739,00.html?>
These are old issues which have been tackled ad nauseum. But the messages did not seem to have reached Singapore's future leaders.

 More Homes, But Smaller Households (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,20716,00.html?>
Number swells to 923,300, but size of household falls to 3.7 people, from 4.2 in 1990, due to fewer extended families and declining fertility rates.