[MyAppleMenu] Dec 29, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 29 21:05:01 EST 2001

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== news =============

Keynote To Be Delivered Via QuickTime Webcast (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11562>

=== internet top news =============

The Year In Internet Law (Carl S. Kaplan, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/28/technology/28CYBERLAW.html>
What happened in cyberlaw during the past year that was significant and enduring -- or at least interesting?

=== internet news =============

Shoppers Exchange Web Gifts In Stores (Greg Sandoval, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5101111,00.html>
It is the dreaded season of gift returns -- a particularly thorny issue online, where sending back a gift is usually confusing and costly for the customer and equally troublesome for the store.

=== reader : life =============

Life After Boeing: Uncertainty Sets In (Jack Broom, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134384545_boeing290.html>
True, Rodney was laid off from Boeing two weeks ago and doesn't know where he'll land. And true, Karen has sent off 10 job applications and hasn't had an interview. But for now, the Dales, along with close family and friends, are enjoying the simple joys of the season.

Champagne And A Frisk At New Year's Festivities (Jesse Hamlin, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/12/29/DD96110.DTL>
If you'are planning to party at one of the big venues on New Year's Eve, take Leslee Stewart's advice: "Arrive Early, Travel Light."

Take This Media... Please! (Al Franken, Ani Difranco, Et Al., The Nation)
<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020107&s=replies>
After compiling our guide to the "Big Ten" media conglomerates, we shared it with cultural producers and critics in a range of fields: music, journalism, television, publishing. Following are their comments.

Stranger In A Strange Land (Christopher Hitchens, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/12/hitchens.htm>
The dismay of an honorable man of the left.

American Airlines: Two Bloopers (Colbert I. King, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37200-2001Dec28.html>
No offense, American Airlines, but I'd just as soon take the bus.

Pilgrimage To New York City: Paying Respects And Spending Little (Susan Saulny, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/29/nyregion/29TOUR.html>
Officials in the tourism industry are unnerved. They know the disaster site is the sole reason many of these people visit New York, but they dare not market the city that way.

=== singapore top news =============

In Singapore (Wayne Arnold, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/30/travel/WDSING.html?ex=1010293200&en=66eec7ff26e084bc&ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER>
Slowly but surely, life in Singapore is flowing back downtown to the waterfront where this port city began.

=== singapore news =============

Don't Be Fooled By Predictions Of Early Economic Recovery NTUC Chief (Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2001/12/29/singaporenews16214.htm>
Singaporeans should instead prepare for more difficult times and to work harder to make a living.

---