[MyAppleMenu] Dec 26, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 26 21:05:01 EST 2001

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple: Our Stores Will Lose Money (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2834792,00.html>
Apple expects to post a "small loss" in its retail operations in the current quarter and in all fiscal 2002, ending September.

Apple CEO Jobs Takes $1 Salary Again In 2001 (Reuters)
<http://www.iwon.com/home/technology/tech_article/0,2109,61121|technology|12-26-2001::14:32|reuters,00.html>
Steve Jobs took a salary of $1 in the past fiscal year while other top executives were rewarded with options for one million shares each, a major increase in compensation, according to a filing with securities regulators.

=== news =============

Amnesty Period For Software Pirates (Kelly Zito, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/26/BU155984.DTL&type=business>
Campaign urges scofflaws to pay fees, avoid penalties.

Yahoo! Names TiBook Holiday Best Seller (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11520>

A Time For Helping Others (Colleen Wixon, Press Journal)
<http://www.tcpalm.com/news/verobeach/1225vero1.shtml>
Austin Henry can't write, but uses a Macintosh iBook computer at school to help him with his work.

=== opinions =============

G3s Left In The Dust Taken Too Seriously (Race Meider, Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=1104>
The speed is still plenty adequate for all the uses I have and I am not affected with anything I see as important with my productivity.

=== reviews =============

2001: A Great Year For Businesses That Use Macs (Paul Shields, Businss Mac)
<http://www.thebusinessmac.com/features/2001.shtml>
Apple made major strides in providing a platform that could meet the needs of the general business customer.

Mac Browser Roundup (Hakon Lie and Tantek Celik, A List Apart)
<http://www.alistapart.com/stories/macbrowsers/>
We test drove and reviewed updated versions of Opera browser and Internet Explorer.

Outdoor Guide Software Makes A Great Planning Tool (Darren Marcy, Farmington Daily Times)
<http://www.daily-times.com/Stories/0,1002,6586%257E286662,00.html>
This compact disc would make a nice Christmas gift for any outdoor enthusiast.

=== internet top news =============

Is It Time To Fence In Broadband? (Rachel Konrad, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2834781,00.html>
A growing number of Internet users - including telecommuters, computer programmers, small-business owners and self-described Web junkies - say Internet access is as important as telephones and even electricity or heat.

Former Colleagues Reconnect, If Briefly (Susan Stellin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/26/business/26NETW.html>
The Internet has created a forum for hundreds of e-mail lists and Web sites that enable former colleagues to keep in touch, plan reunions and share job leads.

=== internet news =============

Jupiter: Some Pop-Up Ads Don't Count (Margaret Kane, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5101033,00.html>
It would exclude some "pop-up" advertisements from its Web site rankings as part of an overhaul in the way it reports traffic figures.

It's A Happy Holiday For E-Tail Sales (Margaret Kane, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-8288493.html?tag=owv>
Harry Potter has made more than a few people happy lately.

Mac Browser Roundup (Hakon Lie and Tantek Celik, A List Apart)
<http://www.alistapart.com/stories/macbrowsers/>
We test drove and reviewed updated versions of Opera browser and Internet Explorer.

Expedition To The Lost Net (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1721000/1721006.stm>
There are some parts of the net that no one can reach, parts that are cut off from even the most dedicated net user either by accident or design.

=== wintel top news =============

FBI Warns On Windows XP Hole (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8287567.html?tag=owv>
The FBI has urged users of Windows XP to disable a feature that could leave computers open to attacks from hackers.

=== reader : world =============

Weren't We All So Young Then? (Anna Quindlen, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/676843.asp>
Too much blue sky, and beneath it, just nothing. Who knew open space could be so terribly sad?

America Is Half Full (At Least) (Thomas J. Bray, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/tbray/?id=95001642>
The case for optimism after Sept. 11.

=== reader : tech =============

Buy A Star, But It's Not Yours (Patrick Di Justo, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,49345,00.html>
The International Star Registry has sold people the names of stars for more than 20 years. Too bad the scientific community doesn't recognize it. Legally, it's, well, legal.

=== reader : life =============

'This Late In History, What Shall We Choose To Read? (Jeannie Marshall, National Post)
<http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife/story.html?f=/stories/20011217/888813.html>
Reading anxiety: A simple calculation shows that none of us has enough time left.

By Their Clothes Ye Shall Know Them (Jay Parini, Chronicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i17/17b02401.htm>
Long after we've forgotten what our professors told us in college, we remember what they wore.

I Wish I'd Written That! (Edward Guthmann, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/12/26/DD94673.DTL>
Local authors tell what book they'd like to claim as theirs.

Fast-Food Spies Work For Change (Ameet Sachdev, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0112260219dec26.story?coll=chi%2Dbusiness%2Dhed>
Paid to find flaws for headquarters.

=== reader : eof =============

for Area Theaters, Christmas Means Crowds (Terence Chea, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24652-2001Dec25.html>
With few other options for getting out of the house, and often out-of-town guests to entertain, many families head for the movies.

=== singapore news =============

Mortgagee Sales Reach Record High In Singapore: Report (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,31498,00.html?>
About 1,400 properties belonging to people unable to repay their mortgages were put up for auction this year, easily surpassing 450 such sales in 1998 at the height of the regional economic crisis.

Sing Dollar Hits 11-Year Low On Weak Yen (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,31512,00.html?>
By the end of trading day, the US dollar was quoted at S$1.8445 - its highest level in 11 years.

Singapore Sees Plunge In Mobile hone Subscribers In Nov (Au Yong May Lin, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2001/12/26/economic15894.htm>
The number of mobile phone users in Singapore plunged in November as operators continued to terminate their inactive pre-paid accounts.

---