[MyAppleMenu] Dec 23, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 23 21:05:01 EST 2001

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple Pulls iPod Updater: B&W PowerMac Issues (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11501>
The update has compatibility issues with "blue and white" Power Macintosh G3 systems.

=== news =============

Gifts For Geeks: Vintage Technology A Hot Market (James A Martin, NewsFactor Network)
<http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/15438.html>
History can be a factor determining a vintage computer's popularity - and price. The first Apple computer recently sold in a private auction for a reported $25,000.

Sundance's Sizable Online Film Fest Has Both Fire, Ice (Vince Horiuchi, Salt Lake Tribune)
<http://www.sltrib.com/12232001/arts/160807.htm>
Pull up the office chair, set the microwave popcorn on the desk and refill the coffee mug. It's movie time.

Nine Inch Nails (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/12/nindvd/>
Documenting a tour on DVD.

=== reviews =============

Mac 10.1.2 Update Is PC Card Heaven (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/990>
After spending the better part of the morning wrestling with my Windows laptop to even recognize my PC card, tonight's experience with Mac OS X has me grinning from ear to ear.

=== internet top news =============

New Online Ads Are More Noticeable -- And Disruptive (Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2001/12/22/national1329EST0551.DTL&type=tech>
Traditional banner ads don't sell as well these days, forcing sites to experiment with larger sizes and more disruptive formats.

=== internet news =============

One In Four Looking For God On Net (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-8273658.html?tag=owv>
God trumps money online, a study released Sunday found, as more adult Americans use the Internet for religous purposes than for gambling, banking or trading stocks.

=== wintel top news =============

Who Needs Hackers When We've Got MS? (Richard Forno, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23496.html>
Windows XP doesn't protect you from Microsoft, an entity some argue is more dangerous than any cyber terrorist or hacker gang.

Feds Grill MS On Windows Security (Thomas C Greene, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23495.html>
The Feds were particularly concerned that tbe bug gives up root on Win-XP, ironically touted as the most secure Windows OS ever developed.

=== reader : world =============

Censorship Never Works (Rick Peristein, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/12/23/IN13305.DTL>
How secrecy led the United States into the quagmire of Vietnam.

=== reader : tech =============

Season's Biddings (Verlyn Klinkenborg, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/23/magazine/23WWLN.html>
Is AMerica really ready for a used Christmas? EBay thinks so.

=== reader : life =============

The Soul Of Cooking Was Always In Mom's Kitchen (Gloria Bristo Brown, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/12/23/LV205466.DTL>
I have a confession to make. I am a 65-year-old, Southern-born black woman, and I don't know how to cook soul food.

In The Battle Of Doughnuts, Little Johnny's Beats Big Boys (Kim Severson, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/02/MN93488.DTL&type=food>
We pitted the best of the Bay Area's doughnuts hole to hole. And in the end, it was a classic David and Goliath battle.

Wired, Jobless And Free (For Now) (Jennifer Tung, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/23/fashion/23HANG.html?ex=1009774800&en=22135d1c625a0d64&ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER>
With the economy in a recession, and 97,600 jobs lost in New York City in October and November alone, a peculair kind of cafe society has emerged, at least in one thin substratum of the suddenly unemployed.

Yosemite, The Picture Of Peace (Dan Blackburn, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/travel/destinations/california/la-122301yosemite.story>
In winter, the national park becomes a snowy wonderland to soothe the soul and lift the spirits, a place for skiing, skating and holiday feats, minus the crowds.

Lessons From Down Below (Libby Copeland, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12569-2001Dec21.html>
Whatever happened to all those bomb shelters we built the last time we felt full of fear?

The California Wine Cult (Jim Nelson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/23/magazine/23WINE.html>
Cult wines are a curious window on the wine world. They are both fetish objects and works of geniune hard-bitten labor.

The Moral Minefield Of A Boy's Dying Wish (Lucy Clark, Daily Telegraph)
<http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,3473426%5E12634,00.html>
Is it right or wrong to grant a dying teenaged boy his wish to have sex?

=== singapore top news =============

Retailers Feeling The Pinch This Festive Season (Krist Boo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,92639,00.html?>
Shopping malls were packed with people on Sunday but the cash registers were not exactly ringing as loudly as the retailers hoped they would be.

=== singapore news =============

Singles In Singapore Can Now Get Hitched Via SMS (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011223/1/26j9e.html>
Single in Singapore keen to find their potential life partners but too shy to go on the first date can break the ice first via short message service.

Early Release Possible For Convicts Held At President's Pleasure (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011223/5/singapore15558.html>
In Singapore, an under-18 murderer or drug trafficker is detained indefinitely at the President's pleasure instead of being sent to the gallows.

New Grads' Salaries Dive As Much As 30% (Eunice Lau, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,92641,00.html?>
The worst hit are those with general degrees, with starting pay now ranging from S$1,400 to S$1,800.

MOE Looking At Different Models For Private Schools (Hwee Goh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2001/12/23/singaporenews15600.htm>
"If we are going to be state funded, then there must be some principles for admissions."

PSC Scholarship Revamp To Attract More Talents (Laurel Teo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,92518,00.html?>
Changes intended to ensure public service maintains its share of talent in face of competition from private sector.

---