[MyAppleMenu] Dec 21, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 21 21:05:02 EST 2001

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Adobe Settles InDesign Lawsuit (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/21.adobe.php>
The settlement resolves Trio's issues and Adobe's counter-claims of fraud and copyright misuse.

=== news =============

School Board Duel Erupts Over Laptops (Michael Erskine, GoMemphis)
<http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_916172,00.html>
"This is not a toy. This is a tool." "That's a crock."

Buzzle In Liquidation (Byron Connolly, CRN)
<http://www.itnews.com.au/story.cfm?ID=8780>
Failed Apple reseller consortium Buzzle has been placed in provisional liqudiation by the Supreme Court of NSW.

CodeWarrior For Mac OS Gets Tweaked (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/21.codewarrior.php>
Metrowerks has released a maintenance update for CodeWarriro Pro 7.0.

Apple Posts PowerBook Firmware Update (Jim Darlymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/21.firmware.php>

Apple.com's 'Spiderman' Movie Trailer A Huge Hit (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/newsbursts/0,7407,2834524,00.html?chkpt=p1bn>

O'Reilly Publishes 'Mac OS X: The Missing Manual' (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/21.missingmanual.php>
Dvid Pogue's book is designed to serve as the manual that he said should have been in the box to begin with.

Apple Bugfix Cheers Mobile Mavens (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/23483.html>
Don't let the version number deceive you, for at 30MB it's the heftiest point release so far.

Mac OS X Hits 10.1.2 (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=4012>
The update offers improvements and new functionality, including updated USB- and FireWire-device support for digital cameras.

Nisus Releases NisusWriter 6.5 (Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/1301.html>
New in this version is an integrated outliner and a Document Manager.

=== opinions =============

Apple's Retail Grab: Crunch Time (Tim Nash, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/nash/01/1221.html>
All signs from Cupertino are positive, even if statements about making a small profit have been revised to a small loss.

Apple's FireWire To Go Wireless At 5GHz (Kelly McNeill, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/15463.html>
The promising new GigaWire standard could lead to innovative products that will blow past all other networking technologies on the market today.

=== reviews =============

Tech Gizmos In The Spotlight (John Morris and Josh Taylor, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2834197,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Attenion, Mac lowers: It's finally your turn in the digital audio spotlight.

OS X Server 10.1 Is No Laughing Matter (Jim Rapoza, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D708%2526a%253D20204,00.asp>
We found that the Mac-based GUI management tools provided much easier administration than did the Unix-based versions of these tools.

FreeHand 10 (Dean Browell, Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/alust/resources/Reviews/Archives/FH10/rev_FH10.shtml>
The program just looks far enough forward, and in enough different directions, that it stumbles in places.

Illustrator 10 (Matt Frederick, Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/alust/resources/Reviews/Archives/review_AI10/review_AI10.shtml>

PowerBook G4 Is Top Suggested Gift (Mark Kellner, Washington Times)
<http://www.washtimes.com/technology/oncomputers-2001121715536.htm>
When creativity seems a lost art, I gotta give Apple high marks for the PowerBook G4.

=== internet news =============

The Web Takes To The Road (Erick Schonfeld, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2834526,00.html>

Hallmark.com Can't Greet All Online Visitors (Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-8245026.html?tag=owv>
It was one of the first instances this year of traffic overwhelming a Web site -- once considered a fairly common occurrence during the holiday season.

Flocking To The Web For Last-Minute Gifts (Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-8254546.html?tag=owv>
Holiday shoppers are clicking for last minute gifts and bargains in record numbers this year, and online merchants are pulling out all the stops to keep orders coming until the 11th hour.

Java Has A Big Lead In Web Services (Peter Judge, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2101655,00.html>
Users appear to be sharply divided over which Web service to use, and a recent poll shows a preference for Java over .Net.

Using E-Mail To Count Connections (Sarah Milstein, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/20/technology/circuits/20STUD.html>
A team of sociologists at Columbia University is trying to assess the six-degrees hypothesis on a large scale, using e-mail as the medium for building the chains.

=== wintel news =============

XP's "Plug And Prey" Hole (Gartner Viewpoint)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-8254545-0.html?tag=owv>
The 2001 holiday season hasn't been merry for early adopters of Microsoft's Windows XP.

Microsoft Seeks Antitrust Hearing Delay (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8255533.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft asked to extend by another four months the scheduled date for a remedy hearing.

Time To Draw And Quarter Microsoft? (Leonard Orland, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2834312,00.html>

HP Goes On Offensive (Benjamin Pimentel, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/20/BU64706.DTL&type=tech>
Ad, letter to shareholders defend Compaq bid.

Microsoft Schools Settlement Decision Held Until 2002 (Reuters)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2101623,00.html>
A US judge says he will give Microsoft and attorneys more time to negotiate a compromise with dissenters.

=== reader : world =============

Should Singapore Have An Independent Elections Agency? (Tan Tarn How, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,92298,00.html?>
Don't fix it, so the cliche goes, if it ain't broke. When it comes to Singapore's electoral system, the difficulty is knowing whether it is broken or not in the first place.

Bush's Next Battle (E. J. Dionne Jr., Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10055-2001Dec20.html>
This presidnet, understandably, always worries that what happened to his father could happen to him.

=== reader : tech =============

Project Oxygen's New Wind (Eric S. Brown, Technology Review)
<http://www.techreview.com/web/brown/brown122001.asp>
Look out, PCs. MIT's ubiquitous computing effort is taking technology out of the box.

Using E-Mail To Count Connections (Sarah Milstein, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/20/technology/circuits/20STUD.html>
A team of sociologists at Columbia University is trying to assess the six-degrees hypothesis on a large scale, using e-mail as the medium for building the chains.

Efforts To Transform Computers Reach Milestone (George Johnson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/20/science/20QUAN.html>
The first factoring of a number with an exotic device called a quantum computer holds the rpomise of one day solving problems now considered impossible, and cracking seemingly impenetrable codes.

=== reader : life =============

Is Santa A Deadweight Loss? (Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/finance/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=885748>
Are all those Christmas gifts just a waste of resources?

Classy Newcomer (John King, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/12/21/MN22329.DTL>
Architectural design of 235 Second St. -- home of Cnet -- is a well-crafted building as elegant as it is intelligent.

Christmas After September 11 (Daniel Henninger, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/dhenninger/?id=95001628>
Festive New York renews itself for the holidays.

Desperately Seeking Authenticity (Rachel Laudan, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-121901authentic.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dfood>
But what would an "authentic" cookbook really look like?

Yes, It's Real: The Magic Of Christmas In Montreal (Regina Schrambling, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/19/dining/19YULE.html>
It's Paris without the jet lag, especially at Christmastime.

=== singapore top news =============

Should Singapore Have An Independent Elections Agency? (Tan Tarn How, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,92298,00.html?>
Don't fix it, so the cliche goes, if it ain't broke. When it comes to Singapore's electoral system, the difficulty is knowing whether it is broken or not in the first place.

Fewer Chrismtas Cards In The Mail (Steve Dawson, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,92421,00.html?>
The current economic downturn may be partly to blame but the ease of e-cards has made a lot of converts too.

=== singapore news =============

Charges For E-Payment System In Line With Industry (Peter Heng, United Overseas Bank, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,92378,00.html?>
This is in line with industry practice.

Stylish Skyline, But No Street Life? (Lydia Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,92264,00.html?>
Singpaore's cityscape is more interesting than Tokyo's, says architect Kisho Kurokawa. But it needs a new approach to urban design for more street buzz.

Adults-Only Lifestyle Shop At Orchard Road Pulls In The Crowd (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011221/5/singapore15346.html>
>From vibrating toy soldiers to edible body lotions, the U4Ria outlet at Midpoint Orchard, unlike earlier novelty condom shops, touts itself as the first real sex shop along the Orchard shopping belt.

Feedback Group Proposes Independent Elections Commission (Tan Tarn How, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,92215,00.html?>
"The process of election smust be autonomous and seen as autonomous."

Italian Reserve (Corinne Kerk, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,2276,31161,00.html?>
The relocated Paladino is now more upmarket than ever, though it ought to relax a little and fine-tune its new menu.

Appetite For Eating Out Still Poor (Eugene Low, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,31145,00.html?>
Despite signs that the retail sector may be turning around, Singaporeans' appetite for dining out remains poor.

---