[MyAppleMenu] Dec 19, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 19 21:05:01 EST 2001

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Office X's Secret Ingredient: Fun (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2001/nf20011219_7989.htm>
Microsoft isn't often associated with playful design, but the new Mac version of Office takes Apple's spirit and runs with it.

Playing Games With Apple (Daniel Drew Turner, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/12/19/mac_games/index.html?x>

=== news =============

Apple: PowerBook G4 Upgrade Path Announced (Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/1294.html>
Apple will owners the opportunity to upgrade to a combo DVD/CDRW drive for $299.

New Opera Web Browser Betas In Distribution (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/19.opera.php>
The new versions incorporate a 30-day banner-free period, cookie editor and a variety of bug fixes.

Omni Group Releases Cocoa Version Of Oni For Mac OS X (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/19.oni.php>
Oni is the  third-person action game originally developed by Bungie Software.

Apple's iPod Arrives In South Africa (ITWeb)
<http://allafrica.com/stories/200112180437.html>

IE 5.1 For Mac Posted (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3995>
Microsoft has released Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac OS 8.6-9.x. Improvements include greater stability, "plenty" of bug fixes, greater versatility and additional interface-options.

InDesign 1.5 Hit By US Injunction (Scarlet Pruitt, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=3991>
Trio Systems lodged the copyright infrinegment suit against Adobe two months ago.

=== opinions =============

Macs Influenced 'Lord Of The Rings' (Stephan Somogyi, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2833554,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Hopefully, the experiences with apps like HiDef and VPC 5 will cause Apple to realize that real developers are having real problems with OS X's core technologies.

Apple Computer (Catherine Aman, Corporate Counsel)
<http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=law/View&c=Article&cid=ZZZIHSY5EVC&live=true&cst=1&pc=0&pa=0&s=News&ExpIgnore=true&showsummary=0>
Laws that back up [Apple's] actions were written with companies in mind, to prevent nfair competition, not to stifle consumers.

OS X, An Unfolding Epic (Michael Silver, Gartner Viewpoint)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-8222768-0.html?tag=hot>
The story has unfolded slowly, and it won't have a happy ending until more business applications arrive.

=== reviews =============

Low End Mac's Low Cost Holiday Gift List (Tristram Perry, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/myturn/01/1219.html>
A list of fifteen truly low-end Mac-related gifts.

=== internet top news =============

Online Community Technologies And Concepts (Cameron Barrett, Camworld)
<http://www.camworld.com/essays/communities.html>
Google is poised to be the mother of all online communities, by becoming the multi-linked hub between communities.

Google Sees Profit In Product Images (Stefaine Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2101155,00.html>
An online shopping mall of catalogues is planned at Google as it moves away from a pure search model into commercial listings.

=== internet news =============

New Opera Web Browser Betas In Distribution (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/19.opera.php>
The new versions incorporate a 30-day banner-free period, cookie editor and a variety of bug fixes.

MasterCard Joins AOL, Others In Net Alliance (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-8228812.html?tag=owv>
Liberty has raised its profile in recent weeks by adding members such as American Express and America Online.

IE 5.1 For Mac Posted (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3995>
Microsoft has released Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac OS 8.6-9.x. Improvements include greater stability, "plenty" of bug fixes, greater versatility and additional interface-options.

=== wintel top news =============

Windows XP Sales Lag (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8231511.html?tag=lh>
November retail sales of Windows XP weren't so hot. But is the operating system a flop? Maybe not, analysts say.

=== wintel news =============

Worm Surprises As Holiday E-Mail (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8234048.html?tag=owv>
A newly discovered computer worm, sent under guise of a holiday greeting, has popped up in the United States and Europe and, if activated, could destroy personal computers, experts said on Wednesday.

Microsoft Settlement Likely To Fail (Dan Ackman, Forbes.com)
<http://www.forbes.com/2001/12/19/1219msft.html>
The settlement deliberately fails to compensate plaintiffs and lis likely to be rejected by the court perhaps in the next couple of days.

Compaq, HP CFOs Say Merger Terms Are Definitive (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8233199-0.html?tag=ats>

Office X's Secret Ingredient: Fun (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2001/nf20011219_7989.htm>
Microsoft isn't often associated with playful design, but the new Mac version of Office takes Apple's spirit and runs with it.

IE 5.1 For Mac Posted (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3995>
Microsoft has released Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac OS 8.6-9.x. Improvements include greater stability, "plenty" of bug fixes, greater versatility and additional interface-options.

=== linux news =============

Linux Lies (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/01/1219.html>
The problem isn't the numbers, but how they were derived.

=== reader : tech =============

The Geek Syndrome (Steve Silberman, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html>
Autism - and its milder cousin Asperger's syndrome - is surging among the children of Silicon valley. Are math-and-tech genes to blame?

Will Spyware Work? (Kevin Hogan, Technology Review)
<http://www.techreview.com/magazine/dec01/hogan.asp>
Monitoring voice and e-mail traffic sounds like a good way to thwart terrorism. The problem? Sorting through the results takes too long for early warning.

Kids Are Beamed Up With New Disneyland Measuring Device (Kimi Yoshino, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/la-000100420dec19.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed>
No more standing on tippy-toes or using mouse ears for extra inches.

=== reader : life =============

At Last, A Natrual Path To The Deli (Marian Burros, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/19/dining/19WELL.html>
Now that they come without the nitrites, bacon is still a special-occasion treat. Low-fat bacon that tastes good is, after all, an oxymoron.

=== reader : expressions =============

America Has Its Advantages (John Sutherland, Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,619852,00.html>
Fifty-two things they do better in America.

Almost Like Love (Lillian Ann Slugocki, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/sex/feature/2001/12/19/almost/index.html?x>
The potential for innocence beackoned me and I become reckless in search of it.

=== singapore top news =============

Make Forum Independent And Real (Chua Lee Hoong, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,91731,00.html?>
To keep itself in fighting shape, the PAP has to let the People's Action Forum function as independently as possible.

=== singapore news =============

POSB Savings Deposits Above S$100,000 No Longer Tax Free From Jan (Kenneth Wong, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2001/12/19/singaporenews15213.htm>
>From 1 Jan next year until the end of 2004, DBS Bank will start to partially remove tax ememptions for its POSB savings accounts.

---