[MyAppleMenu] Dec 15, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 15 21:05:01 EST 2001

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top ====================================

Bioinformatics Meets Mac OS X (Bruce Stewart, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/12/14/macbio.html>
Many of the important bioinformatics applications that previously existed only for Unix platforms are now being brought over to the Macintosh, thanks to Mac OS X and its Unix underpinnings.

Operating Systems: Expect The Unexpected (Andreas Pfeiffer, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2832717,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Mac OS X and Windows XP (and of course Linux) will represent not only different flavors of the same basic idea of computing, but increasingly different approaches to achieving a variety of tasks using an increasing number of devices.

Out Of The Jar: Mac-Sculpted Music (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/12/jarsofclay/>
"It's such a flexible creative medium, and fast -- we've added years to our lives in rewind time, track selection and editing."

=== news ====================================

New Apple Retail Store Feels At Home Near Hub (Greg Gatlin, Business Today)
<http://www.businesstoday.com/business/technology/appl12142001.htm>
Apple Computer Inc. tomorrow brings its new retail concept to a city that's always had a taste for Apples.

Oscar For Steve Jobs? (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3972>
The Academy have added a new Oscars category for feature-length animations -- the first new award to be created in 20 years.

Apple Staying Mum On Flat-Panel iMacs (Lou Hirsh, TechExtreme)
<http://www.crmdaily.com/perl/story/15272.html>
Should Apple take the flat-panel route, it will be the latest major computer maker to join the trend.

'Making Awesome iMovies' Is Complete 'Home Film School' Course On CD-ROM (DVinsider)
<http://www.dvinsider.com/news/news.asp?ID=394>
"Video is the most powerful media language in the world. Our mission is to teach people how to communicate in this language."

Public Beta Of Z-Write Available (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/12/14.10.shtml>
Z-Write is a word processing organization app designed for use with large writing projects.

Your Right To Link (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://cobwebpublishing.com/soapbox/links.html>
In this litigious society, you can't even assume that another site wants you to send visitors their way. Crazy, isn't it.

Power Mac G4 Wins Award By Presentations (Conn MacQuinn, MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11321>
PowerMac G4 is a graphic designer's dream.

=== opinions ====================================

Discussion: Apple OS X, BSD And Jordan Hubbard (Slashdot)
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/14/1856209&mode=flat>

Early G3s Losing Support (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/01/1214.html>
It's disturbing when a company like Symantec decides it can abandon support for hardware that Apple actively supports with the latest OS.

=== reviews ====================================

Microsoft Office v.X For Mac Has Plenty Going For It (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/1172402>
This is the best version I've ever used, and I've been using Office since time immemorial.

>From Walkman To iPod (Tim Bajarin, ABCNEWS.com)
<http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/business/DailyNews/SILICON_INSIGHTS_BAJARIN_011214.html>
Making the leap to the next revolutionary mobile audio product.

2001 Game Hall Of Fame (Peter Cohen, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/01/columns/gameroom.html>
Here's a look at the best of the games that have come out of this year of great change.

Final Cut Pro 3 (LA Final Cut Pro User Group)
<http://www.lafcpug.org/feature_whtsnewin3.html>
Apple is certainly proving it's serious about Final Cut Pro.

Checking Out OmniWeb (Charles W. Moore, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/12/20011214131426.shtml>
I think I'm going to really like this browser.

Microsoft Office v. X (Tom Negrino, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/02/reviews/office.html>
High-quality carbonization delivers a strong office suite for OS X.

=== internet top news ====================================

The 411 On Dot-Info Disputes (Joanna Glasner, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,49074,00.html>
As the dot-info domain nears its 3-month anniversary, scores of would-be speculators are finding themselves stripped of valuable pieces of online real estate.

=== internet news ====================================

Checking Out OmniWeb (Charles W. Moore, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/12/20011214131426.shtml>
I think I'm going to really like this browser.

Your Right To Link (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://cobwebpublishing.com/soapbox/links.html>
In this litigious society, you can't even assume that another site wants you to send visitors their way. Crazy, isn't it.

Canada Fights To Show U.S. TV On Web (Evan Hansen, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100749,00.html>
A small Canadian company fighting to show U.S. television programs on the Internet remains in limbo this week, as lawmakers consider amendments to the country's copyright laws.

Microsoft Issues Patch For Internet Explorer Holes (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8182509-0.html?tag=ats>
Microsoft encouraged users of its Internet Explorer browser on Friday to download a software patch that was designed to fix three new security vulnerabilities and all prior known holes.

MSN Portal Pondered For Internet In India (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-8178928.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft will explore ways to enter the Indian Internet access market, possibly through partnerships with existing access providers, a senior official said Thursday.

=== wintel top news ====================================

Microsoft Issues Patch For Internet Explorer Holes (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8182509-0.html?tag=ats>
Microsoft encouraged users of its Internet Explorer browser on Friday to download a software patch that was designed to fix three new security vulnerabilities and all prior known holes.

=== wintel news ====================================

Microsoft Cleans Up Office XP (Ed Scannell, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/12/14/011214hnofficexp.xml>
In addition to the collection of bug fixes and features enhancements, Microsoft has also included the SharePoint Team Services site migration tool.

Microsoft Office v.X For Mac Has Plenty Going For It (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/1172402>
This is the best version I've ever used, and I've been using Office since time immemorial.

HP Jumps Ahead In Notebook Race (John G. Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8177446.html?tag=owv>
HP weathered a tough retail market to become the top notebook seller in October.

HP Petition Irks Some Employees (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8180153.html?tag=owv>
Some HP employees took exception Friday to what they saw as an attempt by the company to characterize a pro-merger petition as an example of grassroots sentiment.

Operating Systems: Expect The Unexpected (Andreas Pfeiffer, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2832717,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Mac OS X and Windows XP (and of course Linux) will represent not only different flavors of the same basic idea of computing, but increasingly different approaches to achieving a variety of tasks using an increasing number of devices.

Microsoft Office v. X (Tom Negrino, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/02/reviews/office.html>
High-quality carbonization delivers a strong office suite for OS X.

MSN Portal Pondered For Internet In India (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-8178928.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft will explore ways to enter the Indian Internet access market, possibly through partnerships with existing access providers, a senior official said Thursday.

=== linux news ====================================

Program Makes Linux System A Friendlier Place To Work (J.D. Biersdorfer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/13/technology/circuits/13GEE3.html>
Help may come in the form of Ximian Evolution, a new information-management program for Linux and Unix devotees.

=== reader : life ====================================

Trauma Culture (Charles Taylor, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2001/12/15/linenthal/index.html?x>
>From Oklahoma City to New York, we've turned violent human loss into epic narratives of suffering and patriotism. Does this help people heal or hurt them?

=== singapore top news ====================================

Sound-Proof Windows For A Good Night's Sleep (Alicia Yeo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,90942,00.html?>
People living near expressways may get more peace if the Marine Parade Town Council's pilot project proves successful.

=== singapore news ====================================

Cheng Bock Against Idea Of Forum (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,90904,00.html?>
The man many tout as an ideal candidate for the People's Action Forum does not favour the idea.

Can I Have Your Orders, (The Wireless Way) Please (Chan Kay Min, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,90882,00.html?>
Businesses, including restaurants and hospitals, are making use of wireless computers to improve their service.

Concert Organisers Can't Ban Food (Arlina Arshad, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,90879,00.html?>
Those going for events at Fort Canning are free to take in food and drinks, says NParks, after a recent show barred them.

Go Go, Sentosa (Michelle Ho, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,90813,00.html?>
Ring in 2002 over two nights of partying on Sentosa's Siloso Beach, with a rest day in between.

Number Of IPOs Fall By More Than Half (William Choong, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,90996,00.html?>
Many that braved the weak market have fared badly but bankers are hopeful that things will improve if economy recovers.

---