[MyAppleMenu] Aug 1, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 1 21:05:03 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

FireWire's Branding Dilemma (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0108/01.dilemma.shtml>
Two of the Association's largest members, namely Apple and Sony, each independently developed their own names.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

XLR8 Makes Upgrading Less Expensive, Again (Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/08/01.7.shtml>
XLR8 has announced across the board price cuts from 3% to 16% off of its processor upgrade products.

FireWire's Branding Dilemma (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0108/01.dilemma.shtml>
Two of the Association's largest members, namely Apple and Sony, each independently developed their own names.

Virtual PC Test Drive For Mac OS X Gets Tweaked (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0108/01.vpc.shtml>

Apple Teacher Institute: Hands-On Technology (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/education/institutes/austin.html>
“Computers should be part of the curriculum, not treated as an event. They should be like pencils and paper or books in the classroom rather than just in the computer lab.”

Test Version Of Latest OS X Leaks Onto Web (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6742270.html?tag=owv>
Apple Computer, famously tight-lipped about its product releases, is finding it difficult to keep a lid on an important upgrade to Mac OS X upgrade.

Mac OS X 10.1 Leaks Confirm Speed Bump (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/20762.html>
Some fairly authoritative reports confirm that the speed improvements demonstrated by Steve Jobs at Macworld Expo New York are very real.

Apple RAM Supplier In Financial Crises (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3277>
The world's third largest manufacturer of memory chips is in dire financial straits.

Mac OS X 10.1 Betas Leaked (BetaNews)
<http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2800161,00.html>

Apple Moseys Into Lone Star State (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6733589.html?tag=lh>
Apple Computer is stepping up its retail efforts, opening its third retail store and expanding an effort that puts Apple employees inside CompUSA stores.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

The G4 Cube Has Died So Where Are We Going? (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/08/20010801000942.shtml>
After my experiences with the Cube, I want one so badly I'm going to break my long standing tradition of buying PowerBooks.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Quicksiler's Fatal Flaw (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/myturn/01/0801.html>
As far as I'm concerned, that form factor has a serious design flaw -- the second forward facing bay.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Win XP Windfall For PC Makers (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5095044,00.html>
Microsoft's decision to give PC makers more freedom in customizing Windows XP may give profit-starved computer manufacturers an unexpected windfall: cash bonuses from software makers, Internet service providers and other companies eager to gain a spot on the operating system's desktop and Start menu.

Charity Tells Microsoft To 'Get Real' (ZDNet Australia)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2800510,00.html>
The embittered battle between Microsoft and PCs for Kids continues, with the charity outraged over the software giants so-called "gesture of good will".

Microsoft, Intel Link On Wi-Fi (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6735497.html?tag=owv>
Although still committed to rival technology Bluetooth, Microsoft and Intel are putting their muscle behind 802.11b, or Wi-Fi, which also enables short-range wireless links between computers and other devices.

Microsoft Getting No Relief From Bush Administration (Computerworld)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cw1.htm>
The message from the government is, "we really do not want to dally, the stakes in this industry are too high," said Starr.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Intel Rolls Out Redesigned Pentium III-M (Infoworld)
<http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/08/01/intel.pentium.3.m.idg/index.html>
For the first time since the introduction of the Pentium III chip family in late 1999, Intel has moved to a smaller, more efficient processor architecture for a new line of mobile chips.

Win XP Windfall For PC Makers (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5095044,00.html>
Microsoft's decision to give PC makers more freedom in customizing Windows XP may give profit-starved computer manufacturers an unexpected windfall: cash bonuses from software makers, Internet service providers and other companies eager to gain a spot on the operating system's desktop and Start menu.

Micrsoft Releases Rebranded Content Management Server (Infoworld)
<http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/08/01/010801hnmscms.xml>

Charity Tells Microsoft To 'Get Real' (ZDNet Australia)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2800510,00.html>
The embittered battle between Microsoft and PCs for Kids continues, with the charity outraged over the software giants so-called "gesture of good will".

Microsoft Ignores Those XP Tacklers (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_32/b3744066.htm>
For Gates & Co., the stakes are too high to bow to trustbusters.

Microsoft, Intel Link On Wi-Fi (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6735497.html?tag=owv>
Although still committed to rival technology Bluetooth, Microsoft and Intel are putting their muscle behind 802.11b, or Wi-Fi, which also enables short-range wireless links between computers and other devices.

Microsoft, Kodak Face Off Over Windows XP (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6734560.html?tag=lh>
Corporate behemoths Microsoft and Eastman Kodak exchanged harsh words Tuesday over the digital photography features that are built into Windows XP, the forthcoming upgrade to Microsoft's ubiquitous operating system.

Microsoft Getting No Relief From Bush Administration (Computerworld)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cw1.htm>
The message from the government is, "we really do not want to dally, the stakes in this industry are too high," said Starr.

How Intel Calls The Tune (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2799803,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp01>
Somehow, the other partner in this Wintel world we live in, escapes the bad guy imprimatur. But, in fact, friendly old Intel wields a mighty big stick in the computer business these days.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Micrsoft Releases Rebranded Content Management Server (Infoworld)
<http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/08/01/010801hnmscms.xml>

New Netscape Portal Promotes Sister Sites (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/newsbursts/0,7407,2800600,00.html?chkpt=p1bn>
Netscape Communications said Wednesday it has redesigned its online news channel to improve access to news from various sources, including CNN.com and Time.com, also owned by parent company AOL Time Warner Inc.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Linux Handheld Device Holds 10GB (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6729876.html?tag=owv>
A Singapore company has unveiled a handheld device that stores up to 10GB of data and multimedia files.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Singapore Shoppers Stave Off Recession Blues (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010801/3/19zny.html>
Shopping-mad Singapore, grappling with economic downturn like so many countries across the globe, has been staving off the recession blues with a touch of retail therapy.

DBS Says Sorry To UOB And OUB (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,61047,00.html?>
DBS Group Holdings has apologised publicly to United Overseas Bank (UOB) and Overseas Union Bank (OUB) over a document which, among other things, suggested there could be 'decision paralysis and infighting' if the two merged.

New Venue For PM's Speech (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,61036,00.html?>
Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong will deliver this year's National Day Rally speech from a new venue - the University Cultural Centre at the National University of Singapore.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============