[MyAppleMenu] Apr 27, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 27 21:05:36 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Many Wireless Networks Open To Attack (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2713009,00.html>
The problem is that many companies appear to be setting up these networks forgetting about the fact that -- unless special steps are taken -- anyone can detect what is being said on them, even strangers just sitting out in the parking lot.

AirPort Technology Teaches Old Building New Tricks (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/education/k12/imagine/hawthorn/index.html>
"Our productivity and efficiency with the AirPort technology and iBooks has really blown our previous systems out of the water."

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Many Wireless Networks Open To Attack (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2713009,00.html>
The problem is that many companies appear to be setting up these networks forgetting about the fact that -- unless special steps are taken -- anyone can detect what is being said on them, even strangers just sitting out in the parking lot.

Sony Focuses In With New Camcorder (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5740499.html?tag=owv>
Sony unveiled on Thursday a mini-camcorder that makes it easier for people to e-mail video clips.

Slow Growth For Apple In Japan (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=5860>

AirPort Technology Teaches Old Building New Tricks (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/education/k12/imagine/hawthorn/index.html>
"Our productivity and efficiency with the AirPort technology and iBooks has really blown our previous systems out of the water."

Version Control System Comes To OS X (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/04/26.9.shtml>

"Survivor" Games Coming To Mac OS (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=2676>

iTunes Visual Plug-Ins SDK Released (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=5856>

Cobatl: There Will Be No Apple Cube Lawsuit (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2001/16/ns-22444.html>
DeWitt said that Cobalt would have been unlikely to go through with a lawsuit against Apple since the company's four founders had been Apple engineers before leaving to start Cobalt.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Two Power Macs At Under $150 (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/archive/010427.html>

Losing Myself In OS X (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/HTML/Loop/html/Archives/Loop23_identity.shtml>

Apple's May Day Surprises (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2712726,00.html>
Considering that NAB just ended and Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (a standard launching pad for Mac announcements) is slated to start up mid-month, what does the company have up its sleeve for this out-of-category event?

Mac OS X: A Gamer's Perspective (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=29>
Apple’s OS X is an excellent start down the path to an astounding OS for gaming, but there are significant roadblocks to overcome and a bumpy ride for early adopters.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Is Mac OS X Too Hard For Beginners? (Arizona Central)
<http://www.azcentral.com/computing/steinberg/0427steinberg.html>
You now enter the confusing world of setting read and write privileges. Before you reach for the aspirin, there are often ways to deal with this situation, but for now, this is one troubling area of Mac OS X's interface that can confound both new and experienced users.

Contour MiniPro Mouse (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/usb/minipro.html>
Most of all, it's a compact top-quality mouse that's easy to pack up and take into the field with your laptop.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Microsoft's Passport Service: No Marylanders Allowed? (NewsForge)
<http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/04/26/1345252&mode=nocomment>
Basically, if you want to sue Microsoft because its self-proclaimed "powerful online security technology" allowed some script kiddie in a formerly communist country to access your credit card number, or Microsoft wants to sue you for misusing the service, you have to play ball on Microsoft's home turf.

A Kinder, Gentler Gorilla? (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.co.uk/business/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=587172>
To the casual observer, Microsoft seems to have changed its ways. Closer inspection shows that it remains a heavy-handed monopolist.

Anti-Privacy Firm Sues Microsoft (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5744735.html?tag=owv>
InterTrust, one of several companies providing technology to protect songs and videos from being illegally copied, sued Microsoft Thursday, saying the giant's music and video software illegally infringes its patent rights.

Gateway Ends "Stupid" Policies (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5732825.html?tag=owv>
Possibly topping the list of stupid policies that Gateway nixed was one related to its warranty. Until the change, Gateway would invalidate the warranty if customers installed any third-party software on their machines.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Microsoft's Passport Service: No Marylanders Allowed? (NewsForge)
<http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/04/26/1345252&mode=nocomment>
Basically, if you want to sue Microsoft because its self-proclaimed "powerful online security technology" allowed some script kiddie in a formerly communist country to access your credit card number, or Microsoft wants to sue you for misusing the service, you have to play ball on Microsoft's home turf.

A Kinder, Gentler Gorilla? (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.co.uk/business/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=587172>
To the casual observer, Microsoft seems to have changed its ways. Closer inspection shows that it remains a heavy-handed monopolist.

Rivals: Microsoft's XP Bundle Breaks Antitrust Law (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2712961,00.html>
Microsoft's rivals on Thursday accused the company of continuing to flout U.S. antitrust laws by tying the latest version of its media player software into its new Windows XP operating system.

Microsoft Pushes Web Software Tools (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5742590.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft has launched a new Web site aimed at steering software developers to use its technology to build Web-based software and services.

AMD Touts Size Advantage Of New Chip (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5739580.html?tag=owv>

Anti-Privacy Firm Sues Microsoft (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5744735.html?tag=owv>
InterTrust, one of several companies providing technology to protect songs and videos from being illegally copied, sued Microsoft Thursday, saying the giant's music and video software illegally infringes its patent rights.

Gateway Ends "Stupid" Policies (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5732825.html?tag=owv>
Possibly topping the list of stupid policies that Gateway nixed was one related to its warranty. Until the change, Gateway would invalidate the warranty if customers installed any third-party software on their machines.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Google Restores Deja View (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,43392,00.html>
Popular Internet search site Google has made more than 500-million archived Usenet messages -- an archive dating back to 1995 -- available online again.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Many Wireless Networks Open To Attack (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2713009,00.html>
The problem is that many companies appear to be setting up these networks forgetting about the fact that -- unless special steps are taken -- anyone can detect what is being said on them, even strangers just sitting out in the parking lot.

Google Restores Deja View (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,43392,00.html>
Popular Internet search site Google has made more than 500-million archived Usenet messages -- an archive dating back to 1995 -- available online again.

It's Working: Napster Filters Kick In (MSNBC)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2712785,00.html>
>From appearances on Napster's Web site Thursday, officials of the music-sharing service have kicked up their blocking of access to artists and song titles.

Start-Ups Strive To Lock Down IM At Work (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5729145.html?tag=owv>
It's one of the dirty little secrets of corporate communications: Executives and other employees routinely chat via notoriously insecure instant messages.

Sony Focuses In With New Camcorder (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5740499.html?tag=owv>
Sony unveiled on Thursday a mini-camcorder that makes it easier for people to e-mail video clips.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Sony Releases Linux For Playstation2 (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18570.html>
The distro, aimed at the Japanese market only, is Red Hat based on 2.2.1 kernel, gcc 2.95.2 and glibc 2.2.2.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Sony Releases Linux For Playstation2 (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18570.html>
The distro, aimed at the Japanese market only, is Red Hat based on 2.2.1 kernel, gcc 2.95.2 and glibc 2.2.2.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

StarHub, SCV In $3b Merger Talks: Sources (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,5663,00.html?>
Analysts said the merger would allow StarHub - which relies largely on its cellular business and some fixed-line services to corporations - to offer telephone services to homes, something it has not been able to do without a network of its own.

Which Way Will Potong Pasir Swing? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,39798,00.html?>
Is Potong Pasir, an opposition constituency for almost 17 years, ripe for the People's Action Party's picking, as PAP leaders claim? Are residents there fed up with living in a deteriorating estate?

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Singapore Expels Four Falun Gong Members For Vigil (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010427/3/nwjx.html>
One member will have her permanent resident status revoked because of active involvement in various illegal gatherings for which she was previously warned, the immigration department said. Two others will have their student passes cancelled while a third student, whose pass had expired and extended his stay on a tourist visa for the court case, will not get that renewed.

StarHub, SCV In $3b Merger Talks: Sources (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,5663,00.html?>
Analysts said the merger would allow StarHub - which relies largely on its cellular business and some fixed-line services to corporations - to offer telephone services to homes, something it has not been able to do without a network of its own.

SM: Government May Not Stop Hostile Takeovers Of Banks (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,5716,00.html?>

Which Way Will Potong Pasir Swing? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,39798,00.html?>
Is Potong Pasir, an opposition constituency for almost 17 years, ripe for the People's Action Party's picking, as PAP leaders claim? Are residents there fed up with living in a deteriorating estate?

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Creative Posts $100 Million Q3 Loss (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/18572.html>
It's not the company's fault though, claims president Craig McHugh.

i-One.Net Ditches The Net, Reverts To Previous Name (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,39876,00.html?>
With the name change, i-One.Net is also giving up an ailing business that once put the firm in the limelight - Internet kiosks.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

SPH To Launch TV Channels Next Month (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,39801,00.html?>
At a press conference yesterday, MediaWorks chief executive officer Lee Cheok Yew said he was delighted the channels would go on air as scheduled.