[MyAppleMenu] Apr 16, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 16 21:05:02 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

An Apple A Day: Macintosh Becoming Computer Of Choice For Many Law Firms (The State Journal)
<http://www.statejournal.com/feature.cfm>
Between 1998 and today, Apple saw a jump of more than 250 percent in the number of law firms using its computers — 23 percent in 2001 versus only 9 percent in 1998.

Evolution Of Disk Drives Crucial To PC Purchases (PioneerPlanet)
<http://www.pioneerplanet.com/tech/ptk_docs/42875.htm>
If you want the best possible video-editing and DVD-authoring experience, buy a Macintosh.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Mac OS X Update Arrives (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5081182,00.html>
Apple Computer has issued an update to its Mac OS X operating system just three weeks after the software's debut.

Apple Confirms iDisk OS 9 Problems, Says It's Fixed (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/16.idisk.shtml>
MacCentral has received numerous reports from readers over the past few days indicating that their iDisk was no longer accessible to them. Over the weekend, Apple confirmed there was a problem, and has since indicated that the problem has been fixed.

An Apple A Day: Macintosh Becoming Computer Of Choice For Many Law Firms (The State Journal)
<http://www.statejournal.com/feature.cfm>
Between 1998 and today, Apple saw a jump of more than 250 percent in the number of law firms using its computers — 23 percent in 2001 versus only 9 percent in 1998.

Apple Has Big Plans For Upcoming WWDC (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/04/16.5.shtml>

Torvalds Loves Mac OS X (No Really) (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18293.html>

Tell Microsoft Why You Love Office, Win A Camcorder (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/16.office.shtml>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

What Do You Mean You Still Run Windows? (Arizona Central)
<http://www.azcentral.com/computing/steinberg/>
All in all, I still prefer to work on my Macs, but it's also clear to me that Apple can learn a few lessons from its competition.

Steve Jobs Was Right (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/myturn/010416.html>
Yep, Steve Jobs was right. These new iMacs may not have 17" screens, etc., etc. But they do seem to hit the spot for new users.

Apple Sales People In CompUSA: Shame On You CompUSA, Shame, Shame, Shame (Right On Mac!)
<http://www.rightonmac.com/articles/01/04/16-shame.html>
Imagine, CompUSA's own sales people suck so bad that a vendor has to provide its own sales people.

Upgrade OS X Not Like PPC (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=885>

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Evolution Of Disk Drives Crucial To PC Purchases (PioneerPlanet)
<http://www.pioneerplanet.com/tech/ptk_docs/42875.htm>
If you want the best possible video-editing and DVD-authoring experience, buy a Macintosh.

Lower-Priced Flat-Panel Monitors Come With tradeoffs (PioneerPlanet)
<http://www.pioneerplanet.com/tech/ptk_docs/43231.htm>
If you're pairing a Mac with an LCD, you're safer going with an Apple-branded display.

PowerPoint Vs iMovie For Creating Transitions (O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/04/13/qt_authoring.html>
One of the things that I enjoy so much about QuickTime authoring is that I have a wide variety of tools available to me for creating content. Not only can I choose the environment that fits a particular authoring mood, but I can also choose one that best suits the final product I'm creating.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

What Do You Mean You Still Run Windows? (Arizona Central)
<http://www.azcentral.com/computing/steinberg/>
All in all, I still prefer to work on my Macs, but it's also clear to me that Apple can learn a few lessons from its competition.

Evolution Of Disk Drives Crucial To PC Purchases (PioneerPlanet)
<http://www.pioneerplanet.com/tech/ptk_docs/42875.htm>
If you want the best possible video-editing and DVD-authoring experience, buy a Macintosh.

Tell Microsoft Why You Love Office, Win A Camcorder (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/16.office.shtml>

Deciphering Microsoft's .Net Puzzle (Network World)
<http://www.idg.net/crd_idgsearch_2.html?url=http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0416dotnet.html>
Microsoft's .Net strategy is something akin to the old television game show "Concentration," which challenged viewers to decipher a phrase cleverly written in letters and hieroglyphics.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

What Slowdown? AOL Partnerships Still Going Strong (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2708259,00.html>
How did AOL do it? Primarily, with a little help from its friends. Many of the recent deals, the result of an initiative by AOL Co-Chief Operating Officer Robert Pittman, are packages of Internet, magazine and TV advertising that piggy-back off relationships AOL already has with suppliers and companies in which it owns a stake.

Journalists Use Web More Than Ever, Study Says (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/16/business/16WEB.html>
In a survey of more than 500 journalists working at newspapers, magazines and in broadcast across the country, more than 98 percent said they checked their e-mail at least once a day, compared with 73 percent a year earlier.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Yahoo To Charge For Info-By-Phone Service (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5627778.html?tag=owv>
Web portal Yahoo plans to begin charging a fee for Yahoo by Phone, a service that reads e-mail and other information to people who call an 800 number.

What Slowdown? AOL Partnerships Still Going Strong (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2708259,00.html>
How did AOL do it? Primarily, with a little help from its friends. Many of the recent deals, the result of an initiative by AOL Co-Chief Operating Officer Robert Pittman, are packages of Internet, magazine and TV advertising that piggy-back off relationships AOL already has with suppliers and companies in which it owns a stake.

Web Playgrounds Shut Gates To Kids (Associated Press)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/557969.asp>
Children under 13 can do less on the Internet these days in part because of a federal law designed to protect their privacy.

Journalists Use Web More Than Ever, Study Says (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/16/business/16WEB.html>
In a survey of more than 500 journalists working at newspapers, magazines and in broadcast across the country, more than 98 percent said they checked their e-mail at least once a day, compared with 73 percent a year earlier.

Sales Growth In Books Online Is Leveling Off (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/16/technology/16BOOK.html>
Ater five years of astonishing growth, the heyday of online book sales has apparently ended, and some book publishers are already beginning to miss it.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Torvalds Loves Mac OS X (No Really) (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18293.html>

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Jobs Threat Overrides CPF Hope (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,37252,00.html?>
Review of CPF restoration should be done later in the year due to slowdown in global economy, says NTUC chief.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Jobs Threat Overrides CPF Hope (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,37252,00.html?>
Review of CPF restoration should be done later in the year due to slowdown in global economy, says NTUC chief.

Courts Cannot Tell Police How To Investigatge: CJ (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,37248,00.html?>
It is the Public Prosecutor who has the control and direction of criminal prosecutions and proceedings, and the police have discretion over the scope of their own investigations.

The Travel Bug Bites Back (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,37244,00.html?>
While more travellers are vaccinated, many are still coming home with diseases such as malaria, Hepatitis A.

Increase Iras Website Security (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,37314,00.html?>

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Cinema Chapel (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,37211,00.html?>
Star worship is giving way to worship of a much more holy nature as multiplex cinemas rent out their loss-making theatres for church use.