[MyAppleMenu] Apr 9, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 9 21:05:03 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Beware Of Installers Bearing Package Part II (Stepwise)
<http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/Packages/InstallerOnX.html>
Until Apple does respond to these issues, you should treat every installer .pkg as having the potential to disable your Mac OS X installation, and cost you time, money and data.

Digging Deeper Into Mac OS X (O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/04/06/cocoa_intro.html>
That's right, the same tools used to create Mac OS X and its applications are now in your hands. Apple has empowered users of Mac OS X to go a bit further with their exploration, to go a bit further and create their own applications. It's a good time to own a Mac.

Sick Of The Hype? Let's Put Mac OS X Into Perspective (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2705711,00.html>
But despite its shortcomings, OS X is an ambitious upgrade that offers a lot of important new features.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Adobe Announces Availability Of Acrobat 5.0 (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/09.acrobat.shtml>
Acrobat 5.0 sports tighter Web integration, support for Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) to integrate PDF use into back-end databases, and easier data exchange in PDF files through support for Extensible Markup Language, or XML.

LaCie Ships 75GB FireWire Hard Drive (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/09.lacie.shtml>
Hard drive maker LaCie today announced the availability of a 75GB external FireWire-based hard drive, which it says is the industry's largest FireWire drive.

Apple Runs With 2-2-2 And 3-2-2 (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/18175.html>

Apple Shareholder Meeting Set For April 19 (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=5269>

Beware Of Installers Bearing Package Part II (Stepwise)
<http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/Packages/InstallerOnX.html>
Until Apple does respond to these issues, you should treat every installer .pkg as having the potential to disable your Mac OS X installation, and cost you time, money and data.

iTunes Hit By Kerbango Closure (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=2742>
Kerbango cost 3Com $80 million when it purchased the company in June 2000.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

The Mega Marketing Of Megahertz (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2705777,00.html>
We are told to believe that a computer's megahertz is a rating of how fast a computer is. And like almost everything else, the faster the better. Or so we think!

Apple Users, Market Share Underestimated? (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/09.marketshare.shtml>
Finally, if the industry estimate of 270 million PCs were correct, that would make the Mac installed base closer to 8 percent than 6 percent.

The Myth Of Megahertz, Part 1 (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/09.megahertz.shtml>
Despite the popular perception, rating computer speeds by megahertz isn't the same as comparing miles-per-hour (MPH) for automotive speed.

Sick Of The Hype? Let's Put Mac OS X Into Perspective (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2705711,00.html>
But despite its shortcomings, OS X is an ambitious upgrade that offers a lot of important new features.

PC Laptop Inspired By PowerBook G4? (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=5202>

Jobs And Dell: What Recent Comments From Both Tell Us About The Rivals (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/HTML/Editorials/html/Archives/ed-jobs_dell.shtml>
Put something in people's hands which is capable of producing Beauty, and they people will produce it. It all goes way, way past economics and simple numbers for Jobs.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Mac OS X Quite Cool, But Don't Dig In Yet (Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeattleTimes.woa/wa/gotoArticle?zsection_id=268454830&text_only=0&slug=macosx080&document_id=134282333>
The answer from the Magic Mac Eight Ball: "Answer hazy; try again after Macworld Expo in July."

Digging Deeper Into Mac OS X (O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/04/06/cocoa_intro.html>
That's right, the same tools used to create Mac OS X and its applications are now in your hands. Apple has empowered users of Mac OS X to go a bit further with their exploration, to go a bit further and create their own applications. It's a good time to own a Mac.

Bungie Mac Action Sack (MacInstruct)
<http://www.macinstruct.com/reviews/bungie/index.html>
Bungie Software has made some of the best games ever for the Mac and some of the best games ever.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

New Pentium 4 Coming Amid Price Cuts (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5530934.html?tag=owv>
Intel will release a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 processor in a little over two weeks into a market that is awash in price cuts and discounts.

Dell Admits Job Cuts Mean He 'Screwed Up' (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/18186.html>
A lot of the staff are unhappy about the way Dell handled the layoffs.

Internet Critic Takes On Microsoft (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/09/technology/09HAIL.html>
"Every time I use the Web I am reminded why I hate Microsoft. What could have been a lovely competitive space, overseen and supported by a statesman-like Microsoft, turned into a cesspool of lawyers and dirty tricks."

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

[...]

Q&A: Bill Gates Tells All (eCompany Now)
<http://www.ecompany.com/articles/mag/0,1640,11260,00.html>
Microsoft chairman and chief software architect talks to eCompany Now about XML, .Net, and the future of e-business.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Building A New Yahoo (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5533471.html?tag=owv>
As Yahoo prepares to release its first-quarter earnings this week, the Internet bellwether stands at a crossroads.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Electronics Sales Stanch Losses At Amazon (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-5543324.html?tag=owv>
Investors got a ray of hope in a dismal earnings season as Amazon.com said it would post a smaller-than-expected loss for the first quarter amid strong electronics sales.

Building A New Yahoo (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5533471.html?tag=owv>
As Yahoo prepares to release its first-quarter earnings this week, the Internet bellwether stands at a crossroads.

Internet Names Seller Strikes Deal (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5539308.html?tag=owv>
An Internet start-up that sells unsanctioned domain names has reached deals with five software companies to promote the use of such suffixes as .kids and .travel.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Linux Gains Corporate Respectability (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2705804,00.html>
Has the Linux operating system, born in the computing underground, finally traded in its Birkenstocks for a pair of wing tips?

AMD: We're Committed To Linux (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/18167.html>
The manager of Advanced Micro Devices' software research and development group says the chip-maker is committed to making Linux work with AMD's not-yet-released 64-bit architecture.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Linux Gains Corporate Respectability (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2705804,00.html>
Has the Linux operating system, born in the computing underground, finally traded in its Birkenstocks for a pair of wing tips?

AMD: We're Committed To Linux (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/18167.html>
The manager of Advanced Micro Devices' software research and development group says the chip-maker is committed to making Linux work with AMD's not-yet-released 64-bit architecture.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Malaysian Party Warns Against Fate Of Malays In Singapore (Associated Press)
<http://asia.biz.yahoo.com/news/asian_markets/article.html?s=asiafinance/news/010408/asian_markets/dowjones/Malaysian_Party_Warns_Against_Fate_Of_Malays_In_Singapore.html>
Mustapa, who is also adviser to the Finance Ministry, claimed that the opposition wanted to establish a meritocracy in Malaysia. He said that such a system had "clearly sidelined the Malays in Singapore."

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

DBS To Pay Hefty Price For Hong Kong Market Muscle (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010409/3/mebv.html>
Singapore's DBS Group , Southeast Asia's largest bank, has long coveted a substantial share of Hong Kong's banking market and may now be on the verge of paying a huge -- and some say necessary -- premium to reach its goal.

Malaysian Party Warns Against Fate Of Malays In Singapore (Associated Press)
<http://asia.biz.yahoo.com/news/asian_markets/article.html?s=asiafinance/news/010408/asian_markets/dowjones/Malaysian_Party_Warns_Against_Fate_Of_Malays_In_Singapore.html>
Mustapa, who is also adviser to the Finance Ministry, claimed that the opposition wanted to establish a meritocracy in Malaysia. He said that such a system had "clearly sidelined the Malays in Singapore."

MRT Stations Add Value To HDB Flats (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,35621,00.html?>
Resale flats that are closest to MRT stations carry a premium of$16,000 on average, NUS study shows.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Three Bidders Left For Singapore's Four Mobile Licences (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010409/1/medk.html>
Singapore was left with just three bidders for four third-generation (3G) mobile communications licences after Hong Kong's Sunday Communications failed to meet Monday's deadline for an opening bid.

Macintosh Training (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/news200104a.html#cctraining>

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Chan Digs Into Her Kit For First Solo (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,35525,00.html?>
Kit Chan is working hard to put up her $800,000 show this June. Pumping iron, for instance, to look super wearing a wardrobe worth $60,000.