[MyAppleMenu] Apr 7, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 7 21:05:01 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Mac OS X 10.0: A MacFixIt Perspective (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/osx/osxmargin.shtml>
In essence, one of Mac OS X's greatest advantages - that it runs via a UNIX core called Darwin - also looms as one of its greatest liabilities.

Wireless LANs Not For Everybody (Gartner Viewpoint)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-201-5531661-0.html?tag=owv>
Wireless LANs are still 10 times slower than modern switched Ethernet LANs and are more than twice the price, and they cannot deliver the total site capacity of their wired Ethernet cousins.

Linux Founder Trashes Mac oS X Foundation (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5530483.html?tag=owv>
The forthcoming autobiography from Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux operating system and figurehead of the open-source movement, promises to cast a shadow over Apple Computer's newly released OS X, parts of which Torvalds describes in less-than-flattering terms.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Apple Store Drops Upgrade Price For GeForce 3 (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=5224>

Apple Sees OS X As True Blue (Fairfax I.T.)
<http://it.mycareer.com.au/columns/macman/20010403/A33934-2001Apr3.html>

Linux Founder Trashes Mac oS X Foundation (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5530483.html?tag=owv>
The forthcoming autobiography from Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux operating system and figurehead of the open-source movement, promises to cast a shadow over Apple Computer's newly released OS X, parts of which Torvalds describes in less-than-flattering terms.

The Mac OS X Little Black Book Hits The Street (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/04/06.3.shtml>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Rest Of The Mac Web (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/botmw2.html>
Readers let me know who we'd missed. Here are some of the sites they suggested -- and some may appear the next time we run a Best of the Mac Web survey.

Test App Finds OS X's Aqua To Be 'X' Times Slower? (Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/680.html>
The reasons for the performance gap is likely in part due to the added graphics features of OS X.

Wireless LANs Not For Everybody (Gartner Viewpoint)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-201-5531661-0.html?tag=owv>
Wireless LANs are still 10 times slower than modern switched Ethernet LANs and are more than twice the price, and they cannot deliver the total site capacity of their wired Ethernet cousins.

For Those Who Think There Are No OS X Apps (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/04/06/1731213>

Dell's Spring Fever For Apple (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2001/04/06.1.shtml>
There must be something in the air to make Rollins overstate his case... What could it be?

Four Years Of Low End Mac (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/4years.html>
If you've enjoyed the ride, stick around. We plan on being here for the long haul.

Is Jobs That Nuts (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=872>

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Mac OS X 10.0: A MacFixIt Perspective (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/osx/osxmargin.shtml>
In essence, one of Mac OS X's greatest advantages - that it runs via a UNIX core called Darwin - also looms as one of its greatest liabilities.

Font-Smoothing In Mac OS X (The iMac NewsPage)
<http://adforceonline.com/newspage/index.shtml#fontsmoothing>
Of all the browsers that are available for Mac OS X, none, except for OmniWeb 4.0, presently take full advantage of the built-in font-smoothing features of Mac OS X.

Stuffit Deluxe 6.0 (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/reviews/display_review.cfm?ProductID=1410&ReviewID=587>
StuffIt Deluxe remains a capable and full-featured compression utility. Although its new features are intriguing, we’re far more interested in seeing StuffIt’s best elements brought to Mac OS X.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Houston, Windows Has Problems (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,42912,00.html>
Most of the problems appear to be related to Microsoft's Windows NT, while Russian-made software seems to be more reliable.

Microsoft Excludes World+Dog From Passport Climb-Down (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18165.html>
Although Microsoft very publicly ate humble pie this week, after its Passport authentication hub's Terms of Use appeared to give it carte blanche over users' intellectual property, it seems that it was only eating American Pie.

Microsoft Gets Personal (.Net) (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2705515,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_latest>
Microsoft Corp. is forming a group to build a new paid-subscription service for consumers, and restructuring a long-running development effort that had been viewed as internal competition for the company's popular Office software.

Microsoft's Virus Antidote: Ban Attachments (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5529034.html?tag=owv>
Responding to the rash of e-mail viruses that started with Melissa and I Love You, the Redmond, Wash.-based company is clamping down on the types of file attachments that will work with the newest version of its Outlook e-mail software.

New Pentium 4 Coming Amid Price Cuts (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5530934.html?tag=owv>
Intel will release a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 processor in a little over two weeks into a market that is awash in price cuts and discounts.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Houston, Windows Has Problems (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,42912,00.html>
Most of the problems appear to be related to Microsoft's Windows NT, while Russian-made software seems to be more reliable.

No Intel Inside (Inman News)
<http://www.inman.com/InmanStories.asp?ID=23951&CatType=C>
Big chip maker, residents at odds over Texas project.

Microsoft Excludes World+Dog From Passport Climb-Down (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18165.html>
Although Microsoft very publicly ate humble pie this week, after its Passport authentication hub's Terms of Use appeared to give it carte blanche over users' intellectual property, it seems that it was only eating American Pie.

Microsoft To Quiz BlackBerry Owners (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5532105.html?tag=lh>
Next week, engineers from Microsoft's Usability Group will be observing and interviewing professionals who use Research In Motion's popular BlackBerry pagers. The pagers allow subscribers to send and receive e-mail and Internet data through a miniature keyboard and small display. Deluxe models also include Palm-like organizer functions.

Microsoft Tightens Its Web Focus (The Industry Standard)
<http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,23417,00.html>
The company's annual executive restructuring shows Redmond is banking on the success of its .Net initiative.

Microsoft Gets Personal (.Net) (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2705515,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_latest>
Microsoft Corp. is forming a group to build a new paid-subscription service for consumers, and restructuring a long-running development effort that had been viewed as internal competition for the company's popular Office software.

Microsoft's Virus Antidote: Ban Attachments (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5529034.html?tag=owv>
Responding to the rash of e-mail viruses that started with Melissa and I Love You, the Redmond, Wash.-based company is clamping down on the types of file attachments that will work with the newest version of its Outlook e-mail software.

MSN Filter Sparks Subscriber Ire (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5531362.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft added a widely used spam filter to its MSN Internet service this week in a belated decision that underscores the ongoing difficulties of striking out against unsolicited bulk e-mail.

New Pentium 4 Coming Amid Price Cuts (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5530934.html?tag=owv>
Intel will release a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 processor in a little over two weeks into a market that is awash in price cuts and discounts.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Hasta La Vista To AltaVista? (The Industry Standard)
<http://www.idg.net/crd_idgsearch_3.html?url=http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,23409,00.html>
As CMGI's cash pile runs down, the company is likely to put its search engine and portal group up for sale.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

[...]

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Experts: Virus Threat To Linux Low (TechWeb)
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010406S0007>
Despite recent hype about a new computer virus that affects both Windows and Linux systems, computer viruses pose minimal threat to Linux systems because of their inherent architecture, experts said this week.

Linux Needs A Home Base (Linux.com)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2705599,00.html>
As Linux moves further into the computing mainstream, the absence of a standard porting platform forces developers to take matters into their own hands.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

[...]

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Bidding War Begins For Singapore's M1 (Total Telecom)
<http://www.totaltele.com/view.asp?ArticleID=38787&pub=tt&categoryid=0>
Some of the world's largest telecommunications companies, including Vodafone, SingTel and Telstra, are lining up bids for Singapore's number two mobile operator, MobileOne (M1), according to media reports on Friday.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Bidding War Begins For Singapore's M1 (Total Telecom)
<http://www.totaltele.com/view.asp?ArticleID=38787&pub=tt&categoryid=0>
Some of the world's largest telecommunications companies, including Vodafone, SingTel and Telstra, are lining up bids for Singapore's number two mobile operator, MobileOne (M1), according to media reports on Friday.

SingTel Is Keen On Buying Out M1 Owners (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/6/news/nfrnt01.html>
"We are in the process of checking whether we are allowed to bid. If we are allowed to bid, we are definitely interested," said Lucas Chow, SingTel Mobile's chief executive officer.

Instalment Plan For Power Bills (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,35175,00.html?>
Every customer affected will get four months to pay each delayed bill, and will not be asked to hand over a lump sum.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Replacing Videotape With CDs (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/555756.asp?cp1=1>
Take a home video tape recorder, remove the tape transport and put a CD burner in its place. What you have is the new Terapin — the world’s first consumer audio and video CD recorder.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Licensed To grill At Annual Food Fest (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,35207,00.html?>
Thirty stalls are offering different types of food - as exotic as kebab and as familiar as satay - at Fun With Food, which began yesterday and will last till tomorrow.