[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Thu Sep 28 21:05:07 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Mac G4: All That's It's Cracked Up To Be? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2885165.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Apple Computer is fending off criticism its stylish Power Mac G4 Cube is marred by cracks. But are the hair-thin lines the defects they appear to be?

The Mouse That Roared (Industry Standard)
<http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,18708,00.html>
I have no idea what the future holds for Apple (or any other company, for that matter), but its resurgence over the past two years proves one thing to me: When it comes to innovation, money and scale don't matter all that much. What matters is getting smart, creative people and giving them the freedom and the incentive to, yes, think different. If you can do that, your company will stand out while others fade into anonymity.

Mac OS X's Siren Call (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2633565,00.html>
Judging from comments from ZDNet's TalkBack posters, the release is indeed speaking to users beyond the Mac choir.

Some Free ISPs Shun Mac Service (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2879344.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
PC users who have long derided Apple Macintosh fans for paying too much for their hardware have another barb to throw: Some of the biggest and best-known free Internet service providers do not support Macs.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

iCab's Alexander Clauss Answers (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/features/00/09/28/0412240.shtml>
We were not satisfied with the standard browsers because many things just don't work as expected or are missing. So we decided to write a new browser which does all what we need without all the limitations of the "big two".

The Last Easter Eggs And Why You Won't See Any More Easter Eggs In The Apple OS (MacReviewZone)
<http://www.macreviewzone.com/frames2000/hang.shtml>

Mac G4: All That's It's Cracked Up To Be? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2885165.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Apple Computer is fending off criticism its stylish Power Mac G4 Cube is marred by cracks. But are the hair-thin lines the defects they appear to be?

Inside OS X: Unix Commands (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/09/24/0928osxunix.html>
With an arsenal of Unix commands at your disposal, you have much more freedom to bend OS X to your way of doing things. But beware of the consequences--if you render the OS inoperable, you may have no choice but to reinstall it.

Macromedia CEO Says Suit Vs. Adobe Is "Defense" (Reuters)
<http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/000927/n27375142.html>
"We regret that Adobe is moving from competing in the marketplace to competing in the courtroom...This is the step we needed to take to defend ourselves."

Macromedia Files Countersuit Against Adobe (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=146>

Some Free ISPs Shun Mac Service (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2879344.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
PC users who have long derided Apple Macintosh fans for paying too much for their hardware have another barb to throw: Some of the biggest and best-known free Internet service providers do not support Macs.

Ailing Corel Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2880249.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Struggling software developer Corel said today that its losses were not as bad as feared in the third quarter because of across-the-board reductions in spending.

Road To Mac OS X: Stability And Speed (Or Lack Of It) (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0009/27.macosx.shtml>
One of the big questions is: just how fast and stable is the public beta of Mac OS X? The answer to the speed question is: pretty darn quick and pretty darn slow. Let me explain.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

The Mouse That Roared (Industry Standard)
<http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,18708,00.html>
I have no idea what the future holds for Apple (or any other company, for that matter), but its resurgence over the past two years proves one thing to me: When it comes to innovation, money and scale don't matter all that much. What matters is getting smart, creative people and giving them the freedom and the incentive to, yes, think different. If you can do that, your company will stand out while others fade into anonymity.

Mac OS X's Siren Call (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2633565,00.html>
Judging from comments from ZDNet's TalkBack posters, the release is indeed speaking to users beyond the Mac choir.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

Apple Power Mac G4 Dual 500MHz PowerPC (PC Magazine)
<http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/pipreviews/0,8827,374762,00.html>

Apple Pro Keyboard (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/11/reviews/keyboard.html>
You won't find a better-looking keyboard than the Apple Pro. As long as you don't mind the missing power button, it's definitely worth considering if you're looking for a replacement USB keyboard for your Mac.

Moving To Mac OS 9 (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/os9.html>
After almost a week on OS 9 at work and a day with it at home, I'm very pleased with the stability.

A Week With OS X (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/09/24/0927jcwosxone.html>
I've been living with Mac OS X Public Beta for just over a week now, and it's been a surprisingly mild ride. In fact, quite the pleasurable one.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

MS And The Slow Application (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,39088,00.html>
What, you were expecting the government to keep its promise of dealing with the Microsoft case "efficiently and effectively"? What do you expect when the information superhighway gets stuck in the Beltway?

Microsoft's Datacenter May Signal New Race (Meta Group)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2878477.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Triggered in part by Microsoft's development of Windows 2000 Datacenter, released yesterday, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Compaq all have announced plans to market 16- and 32-processor Intel-based servers.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

Microsoft Won't Launch British Slate For Lack Of Funds (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,10126_13_32_1,00.html>
A U.K. version of the culture and politics e-zine Slate has foundered on a lack of interest and funding from Britain's venture capitalists, despite support from Slate's parent company, Microsoft.

Gates Vs. Noorda: Here We Go Again? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2633753,00.html>
Is Microsoft poised to sue a Noorda-funded company for intellectual property infringement? The latest round is all about Windows and Linux.

MS And The Slow Application (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,39088,00.html>
What, you were expecting the government to keep its promise of dealing with the Microsoft case "efficiently and effectively"? What do you expect when the information superhighway gets stuck in the Beltway?

RadioShack Adds Microsoft Net Kiosks To Stores (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2877117.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
RadioShack today will start offering Microsoft's Internet services throughout its nationwide network of thousands of electronics stores, the latest step in a nearly yearlong partnership between the companies.

Microsoft's Datacenter May Signal New Race (Meta Group)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2878477.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Triggered in part by Microsoft's development of Windows 2000 Datacenter, released yesterday, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Compaq all have announced plans to market 16- and 32-processor Intel-based servers.

Dell Cuts Prices On PCs, Servers (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2880247.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Dell Computer said today it was cutting U.S. prices on a wide range of computers and servers, citing lower component costs.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

Salon Looks To Web-Publishing System As A Way Out Of Nasdaq Doldrums (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,10135_7_4_1,00.html>
Salon.com, convinced that its lowly stock is drastically underappreciated, is close to spinning off a homegrown content-publishing tool in hopes of unlocking some of that hidden-to-the-market value.

The New Wireless Web (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/28/technology/28WEBB.html>
With few pages and fewer users, the wireless Web is, for better and worse, what the Internet used to be.

Webcasters Caught In RIAA Web (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,39076,00.html>
Think you want to webcast music? Think again. With the U.S. Copyright Office moving at a snail's pace, webcasters are finding dealings with the recording industry difficult.

Microsoft To Rewrite Marketing Labeled As Spam (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2881245.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft today said it plans to revise a notification message accompanying a test version of its new MSN Explorer software, bowing to criticism that the feature resembles self-promoting spam.

NTT DoCoMo, AOL Team On Net Services (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-2875529.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile phone operator by subscribers, and America Online, the giant Internet access provider, said they'll jointly develop a range of Internet services.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

iCab's Alexander Clauss Answers (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/features/00/09/28/0412240.shtml>
We were not satisfied with the standard browsers because many things just don't work as expected or are missing. So we decided to write a new browser which does all what we need without all the limitations of the "big two".

NBCi: Ready For Prime Time? (Internet.com)
<http://www.internetstockreport.com/column/article/0,1785,1661_471331,00.html>

Amazon.com Apologizes For Random Price Test (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2634551,00.html>
Amazon.com Inc. has apologized to customers for running a price test and said it had refunded money to 6,896 online customers who paid more for DVDs than the lowest price offered on its Web site.

Salon Looks To Web-Publishing System As A Way Out Of Nasdaq Doldrums (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,10135_7_4_1,00.html>
Salon.com, convinced that its lowly stock is drastically underappreciated, is close to spinning off a homegrown content-publishing tool in hopes of unlocking some of that hidden-to-the-market value.

New Sony Device Puts Net And TV In Your Hand (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000928/tc/sony_airboard_dc_1.html>
Ever wanted to trade stocks and watch TV while sitting on the toilet?

MP3 Sites See Ad Revenue Jump Thanks To Napster (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2881662.html?dtn.head>
Napster may or may not be good for CD sales, but online music sites can thank the popular file-swapping service for a substantial surge in revenues last month, according to a new study scheduled for release tomorrow.

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

Gates Vs. Noorda: Here We Go Again? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2633753,00.html>
Is Microsoft poised to sue a Noorda-funded company for intellectual property infringement? The latest round is all about Windows and Linux.

Novell Tries On Red Hat As Customer (Melanie Austria Farmer)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2878042.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Just weeks after unveiling a major cost-cutting plan, troubled software maker Novell today trumpeted a list of new products and nabbed Red Hat as a new directory customer.

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

Microsoft Won't Launch British Slate For Lack Of Funds (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,10126_13_32_1,00.html>
A U.K. version of the culture and politics e-zine Slate has foundered on a lack of interest and funding from Britain's venture capitalists, despite support from Slate's parent company, Microsoft.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

Taiwan Press: Singapore's Lee Isn't An Emissary For China (AP)
<http://asia.biz.yahoo.com/news/asian_markets/article.html?s=asiafinance/news/000927/asian_markets/dowjones/Taiwan_Pres__Singapore_s_Lee_Isn_t_An_Emissary_For_China.html>
Breaking four days of silence about his meetings with Lee Kuan Yew, Taiwan's president said Wednesday that the Singaporean elder statesman wasn't serving as an emissary for China when he visited this week.

DBS Still Insensitive To Public Sentiments (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for5_0928.html>
Wong Chung Pun: If DBS did not learn its lesson, I am afraid that the poor image created by the issue of service charges will not be erased.

Power Supply's Computing Of Estimates Unfair (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for4_0928.html>
Gan Peng Hoei: Power Supply is thereby generating for itself large earnings in advance because consumers were overbilled in July (estimated month), and their payment covers much of the electricity bill for August, when readings were taken.

Comfort Won't Raise Cab Fares; Fleet May Grow (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri8_0928.html>
Good news for taxi users: Comfort cab fares will not go up despite the recent hikes in fuel prices.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

MediaCorp To Buy 1-Net For $15 Million (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,4470,00.html?>
Like US entertainment giant Time Warner, MediaCorp now owns a distribution network for its large stable of entertainment and news content, as well as an open door to the telecommunications market.