[MyAppleMenu] Sep 26, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Tue Sep 26 21:05:02 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Mac OS X A Hit With First Users (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2632765,00.html>
"I am so enamoured of OS X's stability that I will buy nothing but Carbonized and Cocoa apps from now on. I hope the developers out there read this: OS X is so good I am willing to pay full retail price for a Carbon version of any Classic app in my possession."

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

Road To Mac OS X: Dancin' With The Dock (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0009/26.macosx.shtml>
After having a chance to play with the controversial Dock for a few days, I've come to like it -- although not without reservations.

Can Apple Hit Another Home Run With OS X? (Daily Yomiuri)
<http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/0926cu21.htm>
Mac OS X seems to merge the best of everything, including UNIX and the Macintosh look and feel, together with some of the snazziest hardware around. It's nice to have the old Apple back.

Mac OS X A Hit With First Users (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2632765,00.html>
"I am so enamoured of OS X's stability that I will buy nothing but Carbonized and Cocoa apps from now on. I hope the developers out there read this: OS X is so good I am willing to pay full retail price for a Carbon version of any Classic app in my possession."

Outpost, Apple Sponsor iMovie Contest (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/09/24/0925outpost.html>
Budding filmmakers now have an opportunity to turn their digital movie-making skills into tangible rewards. During the next five weeks, the iMovie Contest, sponsored by Apple Software and online Mac retailer Outpost.com, will recognize the best productions created with Apple's iMovie.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

Apple's Censorship Rotten To The Core (ZDNet)
<http://www8.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2631381,00.html>
Apple, it appears, is being consumed by its own self-importance.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

Microsoft Fetes Heavy-Duty Version Of Windows 2000 (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2866234.html?dtn.head>
Microsoft is throwing a coming-out party today for its high-end Windows 2000 operating system and e-commerce software.

Toshiba Taps New 800MHz Pentiums (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/09/25/000925hntoshiba.xml>

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

Web-Leery Olympics Limit News (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/25/technology/25WEB.html>
The 27th Olympic Games may be remembered for many things — world records, peacetime logistical planning — but it will surely be a benchmark in the struggle between those who hold intellectual property rights in sporting events and those seeking to cover sports, especially for the ever-expanding universe of news outlets on the Internet.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

Tesh Suit Sings Sad Song About Vignette's StoryServer (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,9901_13_32_1,00.html>
John Tesh Productions, a company owned by the the new-age musician and former Entertainment Tonight co-host, filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court Friday against Web services firm Vignette and Steven Busby, an employee of the company. The suit alleges that Vignette and Busby misrepresented the capabilities and functionality of the firm's StoryServer software. Vignette makes software for Web site construction and e-business services, and also provides training and education classes for its products.

Web-Leery Olympics Limit News (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/25/technology/25WEB.html>
The 27th Olympic Games may be remembered for many things — world records, peacetime logistical planning — but it will surely be a benchmark in the struggle between those who hold intellectual property rights in sporting events and those seeking to cover sports, especially for the ever-expanding universe of news outlets on the Internet.

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

Politics After Dark (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/09/25/comics/index.html>
There's simply no proof that Americans vote based on jokes that Jay Leno or David Letterman tell. Citizens, it seems obvious, know the difference between entertainment and politics. The press, however, has become convinced the two have morphed into one.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Project Work To Be Compulsory For All Pupils (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri1_0926.html>
To be done only during school time, it will cut across subjects and eventually count towards final grade.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

DBS Unveils CPF Scheme To Offset $2 Fee (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2000/09/26/singaporenews17690.htm>
DBS Bank has unveiled details of its scheme for lower-income account holders to help them avoid paying the S$2 monthly charge for savings accounts with less than S$500. The scheme is to help customers earning less than S$1,500 a month who are unable to maintain the minimum balance. It requires account-holders to use their CPF Special Account Funds to open a 5-year fixed deposit account with DBS. They will be paid 4% interest - equal to the rate of return of funds kept with CPF.

Report On Smaller HDB Flats Misleading (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for2_0926.html>
S.B. Blaachandrer, Press Secretary to the Ministry for National Development: The Minister did not state that the HDB was planning to reduce the size of its flats, as suggested by your reports.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

Creative's Genius (Asiaweek)
<http://www.cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaweek/technology/2000/0929/acom.cover.html>
Sim Wong Hoo transformed the desktop computer into a mean music machine, but he needs an encore. The unconventional Singaporean thinks MP3 may be his next opus.

Website Sues "Sg" Namesake (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber1_0926.html>
Hardware Zone says computer shop Video-Pro is trying to pass itself off as the claimant's website by adding the "sg' suffix to its domain name.