[MyAppleMenu] Sep 21, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Thu Sep 21 21:05:03 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Jobs Calls Unhappy Customer; Replaces Cube (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0009/21.jobs.shtml>
Pedraja received a phone call from Jobs himself. "During the five-minute conversation, Mr. Jobs didn't exactly offer an apology, Mr. Pedraja recalls, but he did stress that he wanted to come to some sort of resolution. "I was pretty impressed that he would call me personally. Not many CEOs would do that."

Apple Agency: No Pressure Applied (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2630613,00.html>
Apple Computer Inc.'s longtime advertising agency said its recent inquiries about Mac publications' use of rumors were strictly routine and not directed by Apple.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

Inside OS X: New Menus (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/09/17/0921osxmenus.html>
Mac OS X may introduce substantial changes to the Mac OS, but the Desktop menus for the most part follow the same structure as in the current Finder. The exceptions are the new Application, Go and Window menus. In this, the first of an ongoing series about new features in Mac OS X, we'll take an in-depth look at these additions, as well as other changes to the Desktop menus.

Jobs Calls Unhappy Customer; Replaces Cube (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0009/21.jobs.shtml>
Pedraja received a phone call from Jobs himself. "During the five-minute conversation, Mr. Jobs didn't exactly offer an apology, Mr. Pedraja recalls, but he did stress that he wanted to come to some sort of resolution. "I was pretty impressed that he would call me personally. Not many CEOs would do that."

Apple Agency: No Pressure Applied (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2630613,00.html>
Apple Computer Inc.'s longtime advertising agency said its recent inquiries about Mac publications' use of rumors were strictly routine and not directed by Apple.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

Mac OS X: Win Some, Lose Some (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2630984,00.html>
I'm perplexed how none of Aqua's interaction designers appear to have learned the lesson of the Mac's ZoomRect eliminators. Various utilities were released over the years to eliminate purely ornamental animations in the existing Finder to speed things up. Why does Apple insist on repeating these same mistakes over and over?

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

Will The Real iBook Please Stand Up (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/iteen/2000/20000921.html>
If I were a student, casual gamer, and day-to-day normal computer use, I would definitely get the iBook for a computer. On the other hand, as stated above, if I were a die-hard gamer, I would have second thoughts about getting this cool computer just because it doesn't seem like the computer that I would want to play a game like Tribes or StarCraft on.

Jukebox A Breakthrough For MP3 Music Collectors (Knight Ridder Newspapers)
<http://www.star-telegram.com/news/doc/1047/1:COMP48/1:COMP480920100.html>
Get ready for the next chapter in digital music.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

Windows Me Sells 250,000 Copies (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2630785,00.html>
Microsoft Corp.'s new Windows operating system sold a quarter million copies in its first four days of release and could breathe new life into consumer software sales as the holidays approach, market research firm PC Data said on Wednesday.

Bill's Still Richer Than Larry (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,38916,00.html>
Microsoft's Bill Gates is still the richest man in America, but self-proclaimed nemesis Larry Ellison of Oracle is catching up. Meanwhile, a bunch of new tech billionaires join the Forbes 400 list of wealthy Americans.

Dell To Show Off Laptops With Wireless Networking (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2825785.html?dtn.head>
Dell Computer today plans to up the ante in wireless with new notebooks outfitted with antennas for connecting to computer networks and the Internet.

Windows Me Isn't MS' Shining Hour (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2630076,00.html>
Like so many other suckers, I purchased Windows Millennium Edition last week and spent the weekend installing it. I can save you reading the rest of this column by offering a single word of advice: Don't. If that sounds severe, then I will offer a question to ask yourself: Why? As in, "Why waste your money?"

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

Windows Me Sells 250,000 Copies (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2630785,00.html>
Microsoft Corp.'s new Windows operating system sold a quarter million copies in its first four days of release and could breathe new life into consumer software sales as the holidays approach, market research firm PC Data said on Wednesday.

Bill's Still Richer Than Larry (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,38916,00.html>
Microsoft's Bill Gates is still the richest man in America, but self-proclaimed nemesis Larry Ellison of Oracle is catching up. Meanwhile, a bunch of new tech billionaires join the Forbes 400 list of wealthy Americans.

Microsoft To Beef Up Small-Business Service (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-2831001.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft today introduced "Business Web Services," a collection of hosted Web tools, email, e-commerce and marketing applications that will be available on the software giant's bCentral small-business service.

Color Counts, But Ergonomics Matter More (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2832557.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
As processing speed and power become less important variables for PCs, computer makers can no longer differentiate themselves solely on the basis of delivering the latest chip the fastest. Dell Computer's unveiling today of the redesign of its desktop PCs is the latest indication of this trend.

Intel Warns Revenue Won't Meet Expectations (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2833131.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
ntel today warned that third-quarter revenue will be below expectations, primarily because of weaker demand in Europe.

Dell To Show Off Laptops With Wireless Networking (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2825785.html?dtn.head>
Dell Computer today plans to up the ante in wireless with new notebooks outfitted with antennas for connecting to computer networks and the Internet.

Dell Boots Beige With New Desktop PC Design (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2825298.html?dtn.head>
Dell Computer is giving industrial design another shot.

Windows Me Isn't MS' Shining Hour (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2630076,00.html>
Like so many other suckers, I purchased Windows Millennium Edition last week and spent the weekend installing it. I can save you reading the rest of this column by offering a single word of advice: Don't. If that sounds severe, then I will offer a question to ask yourself: Why? As in, "Why waste your money?"

Dell Launching Web Mail (Associated Press)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500260050-500401034-502407039-0,00.html>
Dell Computer Corp. on Wednesday plan to launch an online marketplace for businesses, where Dell and other companies will sell their products via the Internet.

Jukebox A Breakthrough For MP3 Music Collectors (Knight Ridder Newspapers)
<http://www.star-telegram.com/news/doc/1047/1:COMP48/1:COMP480920100.html>
Get ready for the next chapter in digital music.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

Bumpy Road(map) To Mozilla Browser (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2630999,00.html>
As the rest of the world awaits the arrival of Netscape 6, Mozilla.org enters the critical final phase of developing an open-source browser.

World Isn't Waiting For NBC (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38849,00.html>
In the age of instant communication, the good folks at NBC thought it was a cutting-edge idea to present the Olympic Games with next-day service, sending millions to the Web for results.

This Email Will Self-Destruct (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,38936,00.html>
The latest product to promise email with an expiration date is SafeMessage. Eliminating the email server from sensitive communications, the company hopes it can appeal to litigation-sensitive corporate email users.

What's The Worst &*#% Filter? (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38910,00.html>
Frustrated by "censorware" that won't let you find information about, say, sextuplets or Middlesex, England? The Digital Freedom Network is holding a Foil the Filters contest.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

Bumpy Road(map) To Mozilla Browser (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2630999,00.html>
As the rest of the world awaits the arrival of Netscape 6, Mozilla.org enters the critical final phase of developing an open-source browser.

Why The Net Can't Swing (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/netelection/entries/00-09-20_89892.asp>
Why are Internet issues absent from what has been called the first presidential campaign of the new economy? One factor is the flow of high-tech money to both parties.

[...]

E-Mail You Can't Outrun (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/21/technology/21PAGE.html>
For a fast-growing group of e-mail pager fans, getting and sending text messages while away from home and office beats verbal contact any day, all day.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Old Linux Firm Tries A Comeback (Linux.com)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2630161,00.html>
Call it a throwback to the days when Linux was as much a symptom of anti-establishment behavior as it was a software project.

Linux Security, Or Rather, The Lack Thereof (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/JoeriSebrechts/JoeriSebrechts5.html>
What has changed is the mounds of newbies who are used to the Windows way of doing things and don't realize that their Linux install is a ticking time-bomb, ready to blow up right from under their fingers.

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

Why The Net Can't Swing (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/netelection/entries/00-09-20_89892.asp>
Why are Internet issues absent from what has been called the first presidential campaign of the new economy? One factor is the flow of high-tech money to both parties.

How The New York Times Helped Railroad Wen Ho Lee (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2000/09/21/nyt/index.html>
"They rushed into this. This story was given to them and nobody else and they decided to run it without thinking through what they were doing. They created the illusion of something that just wasn't there and ignored the other evidence that painted a different picture."

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

Local Screenwriters Should Write For The Movies (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,3894,00.html?>
To get local screenwriters going, the SFC and Ngee Ann Polytechnic's Film School are jointly holding their third annual Scriptwriting Lab from Oct 10 to 14. The five-day workshop will be held at the Rose Room at Ngee Ann Poly's Staff Hub.

Mandarin Films Find Little Flavour With English-Educated (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,3866,00.html>
English-educated don't even know of movie fest.