[MyAppleMenu] Sep 17, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Sun Sep 17 21:05:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

Interview With Jason Whong (Macuarium)
<http://www.macuarium.com/macuarium/actual/gb/2000_09_15_whong.shtml>
The world of Mac games from the inside.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

Software Piracy And The Mac (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/meta/2k0918.html>
In the age of broadband Internet access, pirated software (or "warez," as it's called) is easier than ever to obtain and use. Many users these days are getting DSL or cable access and have CD burners, which is all you need to get and use warez from the Internet.

Games And Apple: Fragged Again? (Artifical Cheese)
<http://www.artificialcheese.com/articles/september00/games/>
What makes game makers neglect the Mac OS market?

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

Mac OS X Public Beta (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/09/13/lab.html>

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

Behind 'Dot-Coms,' A Silver Lining (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20000917/t000088059.html>
Many seasoned professionals are leaving their jobs and moving to the Web. They're guiding young start-ups in the tried-and-true ways of the 'old economy.'

Keeping Hackers' Hands Off Your Card Numbers (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/17/technology/17HACK.html>
Recent incidents at Western Union and other sites across the country have left many consumers wondering whether credit cards and the Internet are a safe combination.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

Thrifty Students Turn To Internet Telephony (Scripps McClatchy Western Service)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500258543-500397993-502375815-0,00.html>
Such swift adoption isn't surprising, given students' comfort with technology and their desire to save a buck. But the growing number of students and other tech-savvy folks using the Internet for their long-distance calls could eventually change the face of the nation's telecommunications market.

Slow Road To DSL Satisfaction (Associated Press)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500258598-500398073-502376477-0,00.html>
Many customers find the road to the high-speed Internet is slow and tortuous. There are Web sites devoted to the grievances of DSL customers, and newsgroups are full of tales of incompetent tech support, installation no-shows, and service outages.

Behind 'Dot-Coms,' A Silver Lining (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20000917/t000088059.html>
Many seasoned professionals are leaving their jobs and moving to the Web. They're guiding young start-ups in the tried-and-true ways of the 'old economy.'

Keeping Hackers' Hands Off Your Card Numbers (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/17/technology/17HACK.html>
Recent incidents at Western Union and other sites across the country have left many consumers wondering whether credit cards and the Internet are a safe combination.

The Care And Feeding Of Internet Security (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2628705,00.html>
It's been another bleak week for Internet security, what with high-profile hackings and reports of lax privacy. Experts blame the IT industry for ignoring the mounting crisis.

Crime Photos Change eBay Policy (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-2794427.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
An attempt to sell an autopsy picture and crime scene photographs of three slain boys has prompted online auction site eBay to change its policy on graphic photos.

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

Already Gold (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/news/sports/olympics/2000/09/15/opening/index.html>
And that's what we'll remember, when the dazzling tributes have faded away. We'll each have our own personal piece of these games, and we'll make up our own stories, write our own tunes, celebrate our heroes our way.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

Time For PAP To Change Tactics (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for10_0918.html>
Adrian Low Wee Him: An end to discriminatory upgrading policies for long-suffering citizens in Potong Pasir would be a start.

Do Away With "Pork-Barrel Politics" (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for9_0918.html>
Joseph Wong Kok Sen: PAP should take the chance to remove this last niggling stain on its honour by refraining from pork-barrel politics at the next election.

Smokers' Data From Survey (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for4_0918.html>
Ong Khiaw Hong, Director (Taxation), Ministry of Finance: These figures are from the 1998 National Health Survey conducted in late 1998 and released on May 11 last year.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

A Degree Is Still Relevant In The New Economy (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/analysis/cpe12_0917.html>
Sandra Davie: I agree that NUS and NTU have not quite developed their pro-technopreneurship role to the extent of Stanford, but they are well on the way.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

Everone's A Winner At Hit Awards (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life1_0918.html>
All the Chinese pop stars present won awards at Radio Corporation of Singapore's annual music bash.

Another War Serial? Yes, This Time With Nanxing And Priscelia Chan (Eastciti)
<http://www.eastciti.com/entertainment/feature/2000091601.htm>
MediaCorp is doing a new serial on the theme of the Second World War (again!). But before you groan, this show will be different from The Price Of Peace, so the producers claim.

Little America In Singapore (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life1_0917.html>
With about 80 per cent of the houses in Woodgrove Estate populated by expatriates, the place has taken on a unique identity.