[MyAppleMenu] Sep 1, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Fri Sep 1 21:05:00 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Coolness Cubed: Apple's Radical New Mac (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/top400/article/0,1361,18313,00.html>
The Cube may not be for everybody, but I hope that PC manufacturers take note of its many innovations--and if history is any indication, they will. True, we don't need any copycat cube-shaped machines. But we could certainly use more systems that challenge our notions of how a computer looks, feels, and performs.

Apple Keeps Up Appearances At Seybold (TechWeb)
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/macatya/TWB20000831S0016>
Print publishing has clearly taken a back seat to e-publishing, and as a result, Macs have been relegated to token status in publishing.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Ambrosia Releases Hera -- Ares Editor Semi-Public Beta (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0009/01.hera.shtml>
Hera enables Ares fans to create their own completely customized games. Not only can players create their own missions, but they can also import their own graphics to create a completely new experience. Ambrosia describes Hera as &quot;Legos for Internet space combat.&quot;

Tribeworks Posts iShell 2 Preview Release (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/08/27/0901ishell.html>
The multimedia authoring software adds enhanced Internet capabilities and the ability to create custom window shapes. Tribeworks will also introduce a new two-tier membership plan.

Glover To Help Pay Tribute To Disney (Associated Press)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500245518-500363861-502145127-0,00.html>
Steve Wozniak, who founded Apple Computer in 1976 with Steve Jobs, will be honored for his invention of the Apple II, which brought together all the elements of the modern personal computer.

For Garage.com's Kawasaki, Nothing Is Sacred (Boston Globe)
<http://www.star-telegram.com/news/doc/1047/1:COMP53/1:COMP530831100.html>
Being a troublemaker is all in a day's work for Kawasaki, best known in Silicon Valley as Apple Computer Corp.'s one-time chief evangelist (yes, that was the title), the man who turned down the chance to interview for the CEO position at Yahoo, and now the CEO of Garage.com, a venture capital firm in Palo Alto, Calif.

FCC Rules To Speed Up Home Networking (Upside)
<http://www.upside.com/News/39aee5380.html>
The concept of wireless home networking as its stands now mostly revolves around technology that will let people link more than one home computer together over a single Internet connection and allow laptop computers to operate freely from anywhere in a house.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Apple's Greatest Conundrum (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/butidigress/2000/20000901.shtml>
OS X is the revolution baby. That's what I'm waiting on. Big time.

There's More To Life Than Games (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0009/01.adamsapple.shtml>
It's hard to believe that people whose livelihood it is to bring games to the Macintosh platform would choose to write a column entitled &quot;There's more to life than games.&quot; However sometimes we have to remind even ourselves that games are our livelihood, not our whole life.

Apple Keeps Up Appearances At Seybold (TechWeb)
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/macatya/TWB20000831S0016>
Print publishing has clearly taken a back seat to e-publishing, and as a result, Macs have been relegated to token status in publishing.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire 2 (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/00/million2/>
Millionaire 2 is not a bad game, but falls a little short of an unreserved recommendation. The difficulty of its questions (both too easy and hard at inappropriate times), sporadic and undecipherable asking of whether something is your final answer, and its horrible excuse for a multiplayer game, makes Millionaire a little less than a good game.

Coolness Cubed: Apple's Radical New Mac (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/top400/article/0,1361,18313,00.html>
The Cube may not be for everybody, but I hope that PC manufacturers take note of its many innovations--and if history is any indication, they will. True, we don't need any copycat cube-shaped machines. But we could certainly use more systems that challenge our notions of how a computer looks, feels, and performs.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

MS Releases Privacy Patch (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,38578,00.html>
Microsoft released a browser add-on Friday intended to provide users with greater control over the browser-tracking cookies handed out by websites.

Microsoft, Intuit Bank On Upgrades (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57980-2000Aug31.html>
It's almost Labor Day. Is it purely by accident that the latest versions of the two leading personal finance programs just landed on our desk?

Wall St. Journal: Microsoft Ordered To Pay Bristol (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000901/tc/microsoft_bristol_dc_1.html>
A U.S. Federal court on Thursday ordered software giant Microsoft Corp. to pay Bristol Technology Inc. $1 million in punitive damages for engaging in &quot;wanton, reckless&quot; and deceptive business practices, the Wall Street Journal reported in its electronic edition early Friday.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ====================

Amazon's Privacy Policy Altered (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,38572,00.html>
Internet retailing giant Amazon.com is notifying customers that their personal information could be shared with other companies, an industry practice that has been criticized by consumers concerned about their privacy.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

Amazon's Privacy Policy Altered (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,38572,00.html>
Internet retailing giant Amazon.com is notifying customers that their personal information could be shared with other companies, an industry practice that has been criticized by consumers concerned about their privacy.

MS Releases Privacy Patch (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,38578,00.html>
Microsoft released a browser add-on Friday intended to provide users with greater control over the browser-tracking cookies handed out by websites.

Ad-Revenue Worries Weigh Down Yahoo (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2670551.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Yahoo shares fell about 6 percent on concern that advertising revenue at the Internet search service and other Web companies may decline.

Imagine A World Without Amazon.com (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-2664088.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Amazon.com is arguably the biggest name in online shopping, the gold standard against which all dot-coms are judged. Is it really possible, then, that someday we will be forced to live in a virtual world without this mammoth bookseller?

Discrimination Suit Against Kozmo Thrown Out (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-2672203.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>

If Dot-Coms Can't Beat Conglomerates, They Cut Deals (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/pd090100.htm>
Now that the laws of business have kicked back in, entrepreneurs are putting their egos in the closet. They're cutting deals to anonymously provide their technology to other companies, instead of trying to plant a flag in their own little corner of the market.

Widespread DVD Piracy In China A Blow To Hollywood (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/20000831/t000081632.html>
Trend suggests that no format is safe, and that there's a limit to what the film industry can do to protect its product.

Apple Keeps Up Appearances At Seybold (TechWeb)
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/macatya/TWB20000831S0016>
Print publishing has clearly taken a back seat to e-publishing, and as a result, Macs have been relegated to token status in publishing.

FCC Rules To Speed Up Home Networking (Upside)
<http://www.upside.com/News/39aee5380.html>
The concept of wireless home networking as its stands now mostly revolves around technology that will let people link more than one home computer together over a single Internet connection and allow laptop computers to operate freely from anywhere in a house.

California Bill Would Make Online Companies Pay Sales Tax (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/09/biztech/articles/01online-tax.html>

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Guru Of The Unix Gurus (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/09/01/rich_stevens/index.html>
A year after his death, the programming community still treasures the influence of Rich Stevens. By Rachel Chalmers.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Of Hokkien Songs And Personal Tales (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin6_0902.html>
A mixed group of people made public appearances at Hong Lim Park yesterday, including SDP members.

FairPrice Not Out To Cheat As Half Of Management Trainees Were Promoted (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2000/09/01/singaporenews15687.htm>
&quot;It's embarrassing. It's silly and we admit that. However there was no attempt at all to cheat. There was no attempt to exploit any workers. What Fairprice understood from the consultancy was that this was acceptable market practice. We don't want to say who's doing what.&quot;

Signal Strength Of Local Mobile Phone Providers Not Really Up To Scratch (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,1962,00.html?>
We made calls from 18 spots around the island from malls, cinemas, MRT stations, HDB flats, basements, skyscrapers and even toilets.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Of Hokkien Songs And Personal Tales (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin6_0902.html>
A mixed group of people made public appearances at Hong Lim Park yesterday, including SDP members.

Hawker-Centre Loos To Get New Look (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin1_0902.html>
With piped-in music, designer tiles, and well-ventilated environment, you may want to stay longer in the toilets that HDB and ENV are upgrading.

Streats Bash Today, Pick Up A Copy From Monday (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri8_0902.html>

FairPrice Not Out To Cheat As Half Of Management Trainees Were Promoted (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2000/09/01/singaporenews15687.htm>
&quot;It's embarrassing. It's silly and we admit that. However there was no attempt at all to cheat. There was no attempt to exploit any workers. What Fairprice understood from the consultancy was that this was acceptable market practice. We don't want to say who's doing what.&quot;

Singapore Population Crosses 4 Million Mark (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/5/news/nsing01.html>
Nearly 1 in 5 living here are non-residents, latest census report shows.

CASE Declares War On Unfair Sales Practices (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/08/31/singaporenews15627.htm>
Moving away from its role as a 'goalkeeper' of consumers' right, CASE's president says it is now an 'insurgent' who aims to be a 'scorer'.

Speakers' Corner Takes Off To A Slow Start (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,2020,00.html?>
Bottomline: So far, it's been a farce - the speakers that is, but not the corner. See you there?

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Signal Strength Of Local Mobile Phone Providers Not Really Up To Scratch (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,1962,00.html?>
We made calls from 18 spots around the island from malls, cinemas, MRT stations, HDB flats, basements, skyscrapers and even toilets.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

New Club Roars Onto The Scene (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life7_0902.html>
Roar, the new Singapore nightspot opened by Europa veterans, aims to tap house music and other new sounds