[MyAppleMenu] Oct 29, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Sun Oct 29 21:05:01 EST 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

If A Cube Could Talk... (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/cube.html>
At least, do something to ensure I'm treated with proper care, print a set of simple instructions on how to use the Mac OS so I won't be abused because of ignorance.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

Irregular New Accounts Alerted Microsoft To Network Intruder (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/29/technology/29SOFT.html>
In providing the fullest account to date of the episode, Microsoft said it hoped to correct impressions that its internal security was lax or that its products had been compromised.

MS Intruder May Eldue Authorities (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2646331,00.html>
Security pros agree that even Microsoft won't be able to catch its intruder. And one virus expert says it's the company's own fault.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

How Did It Happen? (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/481998.asp>
Microsoft break-in takes hacking to a new level.

Irregular New Accounts Alerted Microsoft To Network Intruder (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/29/technology/29SOFT.html>
In providing the fullest account to date of the episode, Microsoft said it hoped to correct impressions that its internal security was lax or that its products had been compromised.

Microsoft Break-In Could Cause Company Significant Damage, Analysts Say (Associated Press)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500273695-500427371-502676625-0,00.html>
If the computer secrets stolen from Microsoft Corp. are disseminated, they could hurt the company more than it is letting on, some analysts say.

MS Intruder May Eldue Authorities (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2646331,00.html>
Security pros agree that even Microsoft won't be able to catch its intruder. And one virus expert says it's the company's own fault.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

Building A Better Web Experience (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/daily/0,3467,617001027,00.html>
Yet despite the buzz about companies focusing on the customer, designing user-friendly Websites still seems to be a poorly understood art.

We Know Where You Live (Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2000/1113/6613332a.html>
Established Web firms such as DoubleClick, Akamai and Digital Island, as well as newcomers like Quova and Digital Envoy, are vying to develop ways to pierce one of the Web's few remaining veils of privacy: physical location.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

All Hands Off The Keyboard! (Village Voice)
<http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0043/mamatas.shtml>
Pseudo's and DEN's biggest mistake? Asking people to stop typing and watch.

Building A Better Web Experience (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/daily/0,3467,617001027,00.html>
Yet despite the buzz about companies focusing on the customer, designing user-friendly Websites still seems to be a poorly understood art.

Building A Better Search Engine (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2646237,00.html>
Two companies' search engines offering user profiling, an automated search advisor, performance monitoring and integration with e-commerce platforms.

Web Site Counters Draw Fire Over Wide Discrepancies (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www0.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/front/docs/hits102600.htm>
Britannica is one of many Web site operators that are increasingly concerned they aren't getting enough credit from third-party monitors for traffic on their sites. Many, grappling with the dot-com downturn, feel as though they are swimming upstream against such data as they try to establish themselves with advertisers, investors and potential marketing partners.

We Know Where You Live (Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2000/1113/6613332a.html>
Established Web firms such as DoubleClick, Akamai and Digital Island, as well as newcomers like Quova and Digital Envoy, are vying to develop ways to pierce one of the Web's few remaining veils of privacy: physical location.

Oh Yum: There's More Spam (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,39832,00.html>
New research from a spam-filtering company offers fresh proof of something e-mail users have long suspected: The junk mail problem is rapidly getting worse.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Arts Environment Debate May Re-Open (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,6871,00.html?>
The storm over Talaq might provide the opportunity to broach the topic of the ideal arts environment for Singapore, said several arts practitioners yesterday.

President Of Drama Group Behind Talaq Play Arrested (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/cna/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/001029/singapore/cna/President_of_drama_group_behind_Talaq_play_arrested.html>
Ms S Thenmoli, the founder and President of the group behind the controversial play, "Talaq", was arrested by the police after she refused to leave the premises despite repeated warnings to do so.

Asia's Next Tech Hub: Singapore (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,39800,00.html>
Singapore has officially launched its bid to compete with other Asian countries to become the No. 1 technology hub in the region following a government announcement that it will inject S$7 billion into the tech and science sector over the next five years.

Quality Of Service Here Not Up To Par, Says PM (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri3_1029.html>
"We can have beautiful hotels, fascinating tours and gourmet cuisine. But if the service is bad, it will negate all these efforts."

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

Singapore's Lee Sees No Need For Western-Style Democracy (Asociated Press)
<http://asia.biz.yahoo.com/news/asian_markets/article.html?s=asiafinance/news/001028/asian_markets/dowjones/Singapore_s_Lee_Sees_No_Need_For_Western-Style_Democracy.html>
Asked how he can reconcile his nation's prosperity with its perceived lack of civil liberties, Lee said: "The fact that we're part of the First World economically doesn't mean we have to be part of the First World in Western terms."

Singapore Theater Director Arrested For Rehearsing Banned Play (Associated Press)
<http://www.nandotimes.com/entertainment/story/0,1088,500273809-500427550-502677799-0,00.html>
"It's so obvious that they don't want this play to go on," Thenmoli said before her arrest.

Arts Environment Debate May Re-Open (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,6871,00.html?>
The storm over Talaq might provide the opportunity to broach the topic of the ideal arts environment for Singapore, said several arts practitioners yesterday.

Controversial Theatre-Group Leader: I Was Treated Well (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin4_1030.html>
"I was treated in a very civil manner by the police at the station and I have no intention to run afoul of the law."

6,500 Brave Rain For First Second Link Run (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri6_1030.html>
Among the runners were about 600 Singaporeans who ran quarter and half marathons in an event aimed at promoting tourism and bilateral ties.

President Of Drama Group Behind Talaq Play Arrested (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/cna/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/001029/singapore/cna/President_of_drama_group_behind_Talaq_play_arrested.html>
Ms S Thenmoli, the founder and President of the group behind the controversial play, "Talaq", was arrested by the police after she refused to leave the premises despite repeated warnings to do so.

Zoo Takes Flak For Getting Chimps To Pose (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri5_1029.html>
Singapore zoo denies charges of cruelty after it is accused of keeping young chimpanzees in cages and training them for snapshots with visitors.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

If A Cube Could Talk... (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/cube.html>
At least, do something to ensure I'm treated with proper care, print a set of simple instructions on how to use the Mac OS so I won't be abused because of ignorance.

Asia's Next Tech Hub: Singapore (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,39800,00.html>
Singapore has officially launched its bid to compete with other Asian countries to become the No. 1 technology hub in the region following a government announcement that it will inject S$7 billion into the tech and science sector over the next five years.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

Beethoven Music Store To Close Sunday (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life4_1030.html>
Singapore's familiar classical music shop, Beethoven Record House, bids farewell after 36 years in business.