[MyAppleMenu] Oct 23, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Mon Oct 23 21:05:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Rosier Results For Apple Germany (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2643858,00.html>
Despite the company's U.S. woes, the Mac maker's German operation is reporting its strongest sales ever.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

Rosier Results For Apple Germany (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2643858,00.html>
Despite the company's U.S. woes, the Mac maker's German operation is reporting its strongest sales ever.

Spinway Adds Apple To Internet Pie (Internetnews.com)
<http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/0,,8_492121,00.html>
Spinway isn't the first major free Internet service provider to bring Apple users into the fold, but it's the only one in town these days.

MacPlay Back In Business Under New Leadership (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0010/23.macplay.shtml>
The deal announced today grants United Developers exclusive, worldwide licensing of the MacPlay trademark and MacPlay.com Internet domain name.

Corel 100 Percent Behind Mac, Corel VP Says (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0010/23.corel.shtml>

The Apple Of His iBook (Independent)
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/My_Technology/2000-10/mytech231000.shtml>
For his first computer, comedian Phill Jupitus was seduced by a Mac iBook, which he uses to send pictures and keep in touch with his family while on tour.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

Apple -- The Message Isn't Even Medium (ZDNet)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/10/22/1023beleaguered.html>
Above all, Apple has to get the word out, both through advertising and communicating with the news media. It needs to make clear how competitive its products are in terms of pricing, features, and performance. It needs to show plainly how much they have to offer compared with similar Wintel offerings. Most importantly, Apple needs to convince new consumers why they should spend their money on a Macintosh.

Will That Be Carbon Or... Java? (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/10/22/1023everyjava.html>
Changing over a code-base from one design to another is expensive. And all of the commercial Applications written for the Mac have these code investments. Which means Carbon is the choice for all the Mac applications, and will remain so for quite some time.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

Mac OS X: Say Goodbye To Fiddly Bits (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,6500,00.html?>
The new OS has rock-solid stability and a gorgeous look. If Apple can get Adobe, Macromedia and Quark on board, it can add longevity to the list of qualities.

VirusBarrier (MacNN)
<http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/virusbarrier/virusbarrier.phtml>
The only glaring issue with VirusBarrier is its inability to scan compressed files.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

Spinway Adds Apple To Internet Pie (Internetnews.com)
<http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/0,,8_492121,00.html>
Spinway isn't the first major free Internet service provider to bring Apple users into the fold, but it's the only one in town these days.

Study Finds Blacks More Likely To Appreciate Net's Value (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3267746.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Although blacks still lag in access to the Internet, a new study finds that those who are connected are more likely than whites to appreciate its value as an information tool.

RealNetworks Teams With Sony (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3268944.html?dtn.head>
Web media streaming giant RealNetworks has teamed with Sony to introduce a new version of its RealAudio technology, which allows sound to be broadcast via the Internet.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Price Hike For Movie Tickets On Weekdays (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin3_1024.html>
"We saw increased attendance after the reduction, especially from office workers. But we also found that we couldn't meet operating costs."

SAT For University Admission From 2003 (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri1_1024.html>
American reasoning test will make up 25 per cent of entry score for A-level holders; it will be held six times a year.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

Singapore Writer Unfazed By Death Threat (Associated Press)
<http://www.timesofindia.com/today/23ente4.htm>
A Singaporean writer said Sunday he was unfazed by a death threat over his play about marital violence and the rape of Indian Muslim women.

English A Killer In SAT I Paper (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,6460,00.html?>
Kids sixteen and below: Go brush up on your English-language skills.

SAT For University Admission From 2003 (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri1_1024.html>
American reasoning test will make up 25 per cent of entry score for A-level holders; it will be held six times a year.

Speakers' Corner Finds Regulars (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,6382,00.html?>

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

Price Hike For Movie Tickets On Weekdays (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin3_1024.html>
"We saw increased attendance after the reduction, especially from office workers. But we also found that we couldn't meet operating costs."

Big Names Out Of Star Awards (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life5_1023.html>
Last year's winners of the Star Awards were not even nominated for the honour this year. But Xie Shaoguang and Cynthia Koh are far from disappointed.

Party Fever At Siloso Beach (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life1_1023.html>
Forget about full moon parties in foreign lands. Come December, you can dance with the tides at Sentosa's Siloso Beach in an all-night dance music fest.