[MyAppleMenu] Nov 12, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Sun Nov 12 21:05:01 EST 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Getting Over The Apple Menu In Ten Easy Steps (Zerologic)
<http://www.zerologic.com/neologic/article.html?ID=6>
It's not the end of the world, I promise.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

Getting Over The Apple Menu In Ten Easy Steps (Zerologic)
<http://www.zerologic.com/neologic/article.html?ID=6>
It's not the end of the world, I promise.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

Microsoft's Big Picture: Whistler, Blackcombe And .NET (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14664.html>
While packaged software isn't expected to disappear entirely, many believe that this new model will radically impact on how businesses and consumers obtain up-to-date products from companies like Microsoft. Individual and corporate users will be able to dial-up applications on demand through either a subscription agreement or rental arrangement.

Intel To Announce Two New Celeron Chips On Monday (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001112/tc/tech_intel_dc_1.html>
Santa Clara, Calif.-based Intel is introducing two Celeron chips, one running at 766 megahertz and the other at 733 megahertz.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

Microsoft's Big Picture: Whistler, Blackcombe And .NET (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14664.html>
While packaged software isn't expected to disappear entirely, many believe that this new model will radically impact on how businesses and consumers obtain up-to-date products from companies like Microsoft. Individual and corporate users will be able to dial-up applications on demand through either a subscription agreement or rental arrangement.

Intel To Announce Two New Celeron Chips On Monday (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001112/tc/tech_intel_dc_1.html>
Santa Clara, Calif.-based Intel is introducing two Celeron chips, one running at 766 megahertz and the other at 733 megahertz.

AMD Drops Mustang (TechWeb)
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20001111S0001>

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

Drop-Down Menus: Use Sparingly (Useit)
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001112.html>
Drop-down menus are often more trouble than they are worth and can be confusing because Web designers use them for several different purposes. Also, scrolling menus reduce usability when they prevent users from seeing all their options in a single glance.

Can DoubleClick Stock Start Doubling Back? (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/12/technology/12CLIC.html>
Revenue growth and earnings were better than expected. Consolidation has increased its global reach. And many analysts are optimistic about its long-term chances. So why are investors so down on DoubleClick Inc., the software company and online advertising agency based in New York?

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

UK Magazine Yanked After Slipping Singapore's Net (Reuters)
<http://www.cnn.com/2000/ASIANOW/southeast/11/12/media.singapore.sex.reut/index.html>
A British lifestyle magazine has been pulled from news stands in Singapore for falling foul of the city state's tight controls on pornography -- but not before dozens of copies were snapped up.

Speakers' Corner: Has It Run Out Of Steam? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri11_1112.html>
Crowds might have died away but the speakers vow to talk on.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

Make Singapore A Pleasant Place To Live In, Urges DPM Lee (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/11/13/singaporenews21126.htm>

Yeo: Better Ties Ahead Between Malaysia And Singapore (Bernama)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2000/11/12/nation/1207bett&sec=nation>
Singapore and Malaysia should have better ties in the next decade when a new generation of leaders come to power because they will not be encumbered by the past, said a Singapore minister.

Speakers' Corner: Has It Run Out Of Steam? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri11_1112.html>
Crowds might have died away but the speakers vow to talk on.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

Sending Messages Just Got Easier (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber1_1113.html>
Home-grown technology lets users send SMS messages to friends' e-mail, SMS, ICQ and fax -- all at the same time.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

UK Magazine Yanked After Slipping Singapore's Net (Reuters)
<http://www.cnn.com/2000/ASIANOW/southeast/11/12/media.singapore.sex.reut/index.html>
A British lifestyle magazine has been pulled from news stands in Singapore for falling foul of the city state's tight controls on pornography -- but not before dozens of copies were snapped up.

Show More Enthusiasm In Applauding Artistes (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for2_1113.html>
Yong Shao May: The arts scene in Singapore is certainly livening up. However, I am dismayed at the apparent lack of appreciation shown for artistes' performances

Art And Soul Of Asean (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life1_1113.html>
The annual gathering of artists at Asean's premiere art award begins today in Singapore as the event hits its stride in its seventh year.

Ann Kok Sets Sights On Hongkong (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life4_1112.html>
"People who know me, know me. Those who don't, they write all sorts of things about me."