[MyAppleMenu] Jun 21, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Wed Jun 21 21:30:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

The Readers Speak: The Dock (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/06/18/0621speakdock.html>
Of all the new features in Apple's next-generation OS, few have caused as much uproar as the Dock, an area along the bottom of the screen that holds frequently used folders, applications, documents, storage devices, minimized windows and URLs.

CodeWarrior For Mac OS X (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/06/18/0621rzmetro.html>
When will we see details about new Carbon applications? Part of the answer depends not on Apple, but on CodeWarrior developer Metrowerks.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Apple Makes Top Ten Stock Picks In New Janus Strategic Value Fund (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/news/00/june/000621/appljanus.shtml>
Mr. Decker's top ten picks will surely put some upside pressure on AAPL as we move towards Apple's earnings announcement on July 18th.

Macworld Expo To Have Game Content, But No Championship (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0006/21.expogaming.shtml>
Bungie founder and CEO Alexander Seropian confirms that while his company won't have a booth at the show, it will still exhibit.

CodeWarrior For Mac OS X (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/06/18/0621rzmetro.html>
When will we see details about new Carbon applications? Part of the answer depends not on Apple, but on CodeWarrior developer Metrowerks.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Bungie's Tarnished Halo (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/06/20/bungie.html>
Another company sells its soul to Microsoft. Get over it.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

iForce (MacNN)
<http://review.macnn.com/reviews/iforce/iforce.shtml>
The once labeled "non-upgradeable" first-generation iMac has received its second upgrade offering, this time from PowerLogix.

The Readers Speak: The Dock (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/06/18/0621speakdock.html>
Of all the new features in Apple's next-generation OS, few have caused as much uproar as the Dock, an area along the bottom of the screen that holds frequently used folders, applications, documents, storage devices, minimized windows and URLs.

Solar Powerbooks (MacOS Daily)
<http://www.macosdaily.com/technology/roadwarrior_33_20000621.shtml>
For now the most practical solution for an alternate energy source when you're away from the grid is solar power.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

Compaq Unveils Colorful New Consumer PCs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2121045.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Compaq Computer today launched a new consumer PC strategy as it jockeys to recapture the retail sales crown.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Can Intel Ever Fail? (PC Magazine)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2591120,00.html>
Exactly what kind of scenario can knock Intel -- or any large company for that matter -- off track?

MS, Sun And Linux Sell Power Users (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2591744,00.html>
Operating system vendors are out to impress high-powered financial services firms with their top-of-the-line offerings.

Compaq Unveils Colorful New Consumer PCs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2121045.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Compaq Computer today launched a new consumer PC strategy as it jockeys to recapture the retail sales crown.

Gates Readies Next Gen Windows (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,37129,00.html>
Exactly what constitutes Microsoft's Next Generation Windows Services may not be as interesting as how Bill Gates and Co. describe how it works, in light of the company's antitrust appeal.

Microsoft Embraces Tool To Boost Web Privacy (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2120950.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Making good on an earlier promise, Microsoft said today it will add to its software a technology that controls how much information Web users reveal.

Microsoft Won't Change Its Spots (Redherring.com)
<http://www.herring.com/insider/2000/0621/tech-msftprev062100.html>
A relatively minor announcement made on Tuesday shows that whatever claims Microsoft tries to make, its strategy remains -- and most likely will remain forever -- Windows everywhere.

Win2K, We Got It Right Now, Trust Us, Really, Honest, No Kidding (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/BertGarcia/BertGarcia6.html>
Where are all the real world reviews? Why can't I find something more than a few paragraphs of I really like it and it crashes less?

Microsoft Set To Make High-Stakes Internet Gamble (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000620/tc/microsoft_ngws_dc_1.html>
Microsoft is set to unveil a sweeping plan to fuse its software with the Internet, even as it battles the U.S. government's antitrust suit stemming from its earlier attempt to do just that.

Cash-Fat Dot Coms See Stock Drop (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,37111,00.html>
A strange thing is happening on Wall Street: E-commerce shops have seen their stocks plunge so low that they're worth less than the amount of their cash reserves.

Wire Cutters (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/21/wireless_fieldtrip/index.html>
So you want wireless access to the Web? We put five devices through their paces to find out what works.

Send In The Clowns (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/business/feature/tues/2000/06/21/clowns/index.html>
In a quest to define its brand, a dot-com start-up turns to that old standby of corporate America: The Bunny Game.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

What's With BT And The Hyperlink Patent? (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2591756,00.html>
Clearly this is 100 percent, copper bottomed nonsense.

Gates Readies Next Gen Windows (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,37129,00.html>
Exactly what constitutes Microsoft's Next Generation Windows Services may not be as interesting as how Bill Gates and Co. describe how it works, in light of the company's antitrust appeal.

Microsoft Embraces Tool To Boost Web Privacy (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2120950.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Making good on an earlier promise, Microsoft said today it will add to its software a technology that controls how much information Web users reveal.

Cash-Fat Dot Coms See Stock Drop (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,37111,00.html>
A strange thing is happening on Wall Street: E-commerce shops have seen their stocks plunge so low that they're worth less than the amount of their cash reserves.

MP3.com Recasts As Music "Infrastructure" (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2117748.html>
Riding the tide of a pair of major-label music licensing deals that have helped lift some of the clouds from its future, embattled online music company MP3.com has a new message for the world: It's an infrastructure company now.

Microsoft Won't Change Its Spots (Redherring.com)
<http://www.herring.com/insider/2000/0621/tech-msftprev062100.html>
A relatively minor announcement made on Tuesday shows that whatever claims Microsoft tries to make, its strategy remains -- and most likely will remain forever -- Windows everywhere.

Microsoft Set To Make High-Stakes Internet Gamble (Reuters)
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000620/tc/microsoft_ngws_dc_1.html>
Microsoft is set to unveil a sweeping plan to fuse its software with the Internet, even as it battles the U.S. government's antitrust suit stemming from its earlier attempt to do just that.

Stop The Web! We Own Those Links! (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/06/21/hyperlink/index.html>
British Telecom claims it has patented hyperlinks, but one of the icons of Web history tells a different story.

Wire Cutters (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/21/wireless_fieldtrip/index.html>
So you want wireless access to the Web? We put five devices through their paces to find out what works.

Pro-Gun Hackers Take Over Web Site (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/06/21/guns/index.html>
And a prominent group of gun critics is still trying to get it back.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ====================

MS, Sun And Linux Sell Power Users (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2591744,00.html>
Operating system vendors are out to impress high-powered financial services firms with their top-of-the-line offerings.

IBM Looks Beyond Servers With Linux Plans (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2117959.html>
IBM's strategy for using Linux can be summed up in two sentences: Today, the server. Tomorrow, the world.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

MS, Sun And Linux Sell Power Users (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2591744,00.html>
Operating system vendors are out to impress high-powered financial services firms with their top-of-the-line offerings.

IBM Looks Beyond Servers With Linux Plans (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2117959.html>
IBM's strategy for using Linux can be summed up in two sentences: Today, the server. Tomorrow, the world.

How Linux Will Succeed: Forget About Windows (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2590493,00.html>
Penguins throw down your arms. The Linux battle for the desktop is a fruitless waste of time.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Two Minutes Of Sheer Excitement! (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2000/06/20/trailers/index.html?CP=USE&DN=310>
There was a time when movie trailers managed a rough poetry. Today, they're infuriatingly generic, manically edited and ruined by plot spoilers. By Stephanie Zacharek.

Eros (The Richmond Review)
<http://www.richmondreview.co.uk/library/parks03.html>
I'm always taken aback when people talk about the eroticism of food and drink, of sunbathing and massage. This is mere sensuality. Or avoiding the issue. By Tim Parks.

Send In The Clowns (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/business/feature/tues/2000/06/21/clowns/index.html>
In a quest to define its brand, a dot-com start-up turns to that old standby of corporate America: The Bunny Game. By Ruth Shalit.

Courtney Love Does The Math (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/>
The controversial singer takes on record label profits, Napster and "sucka VCs." By Courtney Love.

Remote-Control Assassination (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/Earthling/00-06-20/Earthling.asp>
Both Clinton's GPS decision and the missile-defense plan reflect a rapidly obsolescing view of the kind of dangers America faces. By Robert Wright.

The Britney Papers (Modern Humorist)
<http://modernhumorist.com/mh/0006/britney/index.cfm>
I think your American-made breasts are brilliant, and (like my picket-toothed critics in London) the flat-chested American media are only jealous of your sudden and precocious bounty. By John Warner and Kevin Guilfoile.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

More 'Social Space' Planned For HDB Residents (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/06/21/singaporenews30186.htm#>
High rise Internet cafes may be on the cards for HDB residents, for them to interact with their neighbours.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================