[MyAppleMenu] Jun 19, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Mon Jun 19 21:30:00 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

The History Of Bungie Software (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0006/19.bungiehistory.shtml>
For many Mac gamers out there, Bungie Software has stood as a figurehead in the Mac game business.

Microsoft Buys Bungie To Boost X-Box Development (Bloomberg)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2106175.html?dtn.head>
Microsoft said it acquired Bungie Software Products to bolster its development of games for personal computers and its planned X-Box video-game consoles.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

The History Of Bungie Software (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0006/19.bungiehistory.shtml>
For many Mac gamers out there, Bungie Software has stood as a figurehead in the Mac game business.

Take Two Exec Comments On The Future Of Oni And Myth (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0006/19.taketwo.shtml>
"I think the idea that Oni and Myth are in safe hands is very much applicable here."

Adobe Debuts InCopy For InDesign (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/06/18/0619incopy.html>
The company is demonstrating its new text-editing application which incorporates the text-processing features of InDesign.

Microsoft Buys Games Developer Bungie (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2589831,00.html>
Bungie's development staff will play a key role in developing content for the X-Box platform.

Microsoft Buys Bungie To Boost X-Box Development (Bloomberg)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2106175.html?dtn.head>
Microsoft said it acquired Bungie Software Products to bolster its development of games for personal computers and its planned X-Box video-game consoles.

Broken Out Of The Box (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=370>
What other product can you buy that isn't replaced immediately if it doesn't function out of the box?

Bungie's Soul: Sold to Micro$oft? Horror Of Horrors Is True (The Macjunkie)
<http://www.themacjunkie.com/archives/6.19.00.bungie.html>
Is it possible that such a huge Mac supporter as Bungie would sell their souls to the company so many people love to hate?

Black Becomes White, The Sun Doesn't Rise, And Microsoft Buys Bungie Software (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/news/00/june/000617/microsoftbungie.shtml>
Bungie has long been the source of many a Mac user's remaining pride in being a Mac user, especially in the darkest days when there was little to be proud of.

Synergy Time For Apple (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/myturn/2k0620.html>
So what part of this is unfounded rumours and crazy dreams? All of it. But Apple has been known to turn dreams into reality.

Web Publishing Ethis (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/ethics.html>
We support a code of ethics for the Mac Web and look forward to participating in this project.

Apple + Corel = A Software Powerhouse? (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/scope/2k0619.html>
At the very least, Apple would gain control of a company that, while mismanaged, turns out great products.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

MacMusic (Apple iReview)
<http://ireview.mac.com/WebObjects/iReview.woa/wa/GoReview?t=f&cat=1003&site=166&u=16850216>
MacMusic, a site put together by francophone Mac enthusiasts, caters to serious audiophiles who are also dedicated Mac users.

SoftWindows 98 5.1 (MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/news/reviews/2000_07_08.shtml>
SoftWindows is a good solution for running the occasional Windows program, as long as the app isn't too processor intensive.

Mac Software Not "As Pathetic As It Could Be" (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/misc/2k0619.html>
I must lead a charmed life, because of the four Mac OS I've used, Mac OS 9 is by far the most stable and trouble-free.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

Intel Still Runs Rings Around Its Rivals (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2109245.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Like a durable heavyweight, chip giant Intel will withstand the latest jabs from AMD and kidney shots from Transmeta -- at least in this round.

Critic Sees Flaws In Microsoft's Strategy (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/19gale.html>
An influential scientist calls focus on web browsing a mistake.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Windows Millennium Goes Gold (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,17289,00.html>
Microsoft has finished work on its updated version of Windows for the rest of us, but it won't hit shelves until September.

MS Prevails In Consumer Lawsuit (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,37086,00.html>
A Nevada judge throws out a class-action consumer lawsuit, giving the software company ammunition in a slew of similar suits.

New Virus Hits Networks, Could Overwhelm Servers (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2108936.html>
A computer virus that was dormant for nearly two weeks has awakened, hitting several corporate networks and sparking security experts this morning to upgrade warnings for the infection from "low" to "medium."

Appeals Court Refuses DOJ Requests In Microsoft Case (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2106993.html>
An appeals court today rejected a government request to cede jurisdiction over the Microsoft antitrust trial.

Intel Still Runs Rings Around Its Rivals (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2109245.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Like a durable heavyweight, chip giant Intel will withstand the latest jabs from AMD and kidney shots from Transmeta -- at least in this round.

AMD Chip Aims To Beat Intel's Celeron (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2104813.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
AMD's release of its low-end Duron processor should give the company a performance advantage in the budget PC space.

Intel Unveils New Low-Power Notebook Chips (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2104793.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Chip giant Intel today will unveil five new notebook processors, including two low-power chips designed to compete against Transmeta's Crusoe.

Compaq Launches New Products In Crowded Field (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2106924.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Compaq Computer rolled out five new products today, as the PC giant takes another stab at driving profits from commercial sales.

Microsoft Unveils Its Next-Gen (Inter at ctive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2589581,00.html>
Microsoft will show developers how eXtensible Markup Language lies at the heart of future Windows operations on the Web when they gather in Seattle this week.

Microsoft Buys Bungie To Boost X-Box Development (Bloomberg)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2106175.html?dtn.head>
Microsoft said it acquired Bungie Software Products to bolster its development of games for personal computers and its planned X-Box video-game consoles.

Critic Sees Flaws In Microsoft's Strategy (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/19gale.html>
An influential scientist calls focus on web browsing a mistake.

Metabrowsers Meet Resistance (Inter at ctive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2589251,00.html>
Metabrowsing has captured the attention of the business-to-consumer world, allowing shoppers to find the best bargains in a central location.

AOL Debuts AOLTV (InternetNews)
<http://www.internetnews.com/prod-news/article/0,2171,9_396811,00.html>
The launch of AOLTV is the latest jewek in America Online's "AOL Anywhere" marketing crown.

Oh, When Email Was New (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,37031,00.html>
A project that helped shuttle messages between unconnected computers in networking's old days started to shut down last week.

Network Solutions Hijacked My Domain Name (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/06/19/network_solutions/index.html>
While the domain registrar is busy handling out URLs to thieves, I can't get access to the domain I own.

After Attack By Hackers, AOL Tightens Data Access (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/19hack.html>
AOL said that it would take steps to fix flaws in its network that allowed hackers to get access to personal information about some members last week.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

Metabrowsers Meet Resistance (Inter at ctive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2589251,00.html>
Metabrowsing has captured the attention of the business-to-consumer world, allowing shoppers to find the best bargains in a central location.

AOL Debuts AOLTV (InternetNews)
<http://www.internetnews.com/prod-news/article/0,2171,9_396811,00.html>
The launch of AOLTV is the latest jewek in America Online's "AOL Anywhere" marketing crown.

AOLTV Interactive Service Coming In July (USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/crh229.htm>
AOLTV will simplify channel-surfing and let subscribers chat with friends and play along with shows.

Oh, When Email Was New (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,37031,00.html>
A project that helped shuttle messages between unconnected computers in networking's old days started to shut down last week.

Online Trading Of Used CDs Takes Off (Associated Press)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500218083-500310121-501727129-0,00.html>
Now you can trade Whitney for Britney, or Cream for Korn.

Microsoft Unveils Its Next-Gen (Inter at ctive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2589581,00.html>
Microsoft will show developers how eXtensible Markup Language lies at the heart of future Windows operations on the Web when they gather in Seattle this week.

Network Solutions Hijacked My Domain Name (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/06/19/network_solutions/index.html>
While the domain registrar is busy handling out URLs to thieves, I can't get access to the domain I own.

Hook Your Readers With A Blurb (Content Exchange)
<http://www.content-exchange.com/cx/html/newsletter/2-2/ck2-2.htm>
Fight the urge to turn the blurb into a mini-essay of its own.

Report On Global Online Advertising (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/yr/mo/biztech/articles/19advertising.html>
Online advertising is expected to reach $28 billion by 2005 compared to just $4.3 billion last year.

After Attack By Hackers, AOL Tightens Data Access (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/19hack.html>
AOL said that it would take steps to fix flaws in its network that allowed hackers to get access to personal information about some members last week.

Critic Sees Flaws In Microsoft's Strategy (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/19gale.html>
An influential scientist calls focus on web browsing a mistake.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Why Faux Linux Companies Won't Fly (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2587948,00.html>
True Linux types hate companies that push a Linux agenda.

IBM Adopts Linux To Take On Windows NT (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/Analysis/1103472>
Why would a company the size of IBM feel the need to back an open source operating system such as Linux when it already has so many proprietary operating environments of its own?

64-bit Chinese Linux OS Unveiled (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2000/06/19/20000619af.html>
The world's first 64-bit Chinese Linux operating system has been commerically released.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

OS Options Expand For Handhelds (Infoworld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/06/19/000619hnipaq.xml>
Compaq's release of Linux for the iPaq will allow researchers and developers to write new applications for handheld computers and other intelligent appliances.

Why Faux Linux Companies Won't Fly (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2587948,00.html>
True Linux types hate companies that push a Linux agenda.

How To Convert Windows Users... And Get Them Onto Linux (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/JoeriSebrechts/JoeriSebrechts3.html>
Switching OS and apps at the same time is too much. But switch apps first, and then OS later on is a lot easier.

IBM Adopts Linux To Take On Windows NT (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/Analysis/1103472>
Why would a company the size of IBM feel the need to back an open source operating system such as Linux when it already has so many proprietary operating environments of its own?

64-bit Chinese Linux OS Unveiled (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2000/06/19/20000619af.html>
The world's first 64-bit Chinese Linux operating system has been commerically released.

Linux And Forking (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/WesleyParis/WesleyParish15.html>
This is research and development as it is meant to be - unencumbered. It's good, it discourages complacency.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

When To Tell Others About Their Dad's Death ANd When To Hold Back (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/columns/banks/20000618/t000057582.html>
The question stunned me, left me stumped for a reply, torn between telling the truth and a lie. By Sandy Banks.

PBS Peep Show (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/ent/col/mill/2000/06/19/1900/index.html>
A family gives up modern comforts to live before the camera, Victorian style, in the British reality series "The 1900 House."

When Table Turn, Knives Come Out (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/regional/061700ny-col-tierney.html>
Michael Moore made a name for himself pointing cameras at cruel corporate executives and other enemies of the people. But Mr. Moore does not appreciate being bothered himself. By John Tierney.

Some Lessons Take Years To Appreciate (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/metro/columns/milloycourtland/A14041-2000Jun17.html>
I bear a striking resemblance to my dad, but I never thought we were twins until his former students began mistaking me for him. By Courtland Milloy.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

SIR Gets Several Appeals For HIV-Infected Foreign Spouses (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/06/19/singaporenews30029.htm>
SIR did not say how many appeals it has received except that it is reviewing the cases sympathetically bearing in mind their families.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Government To Maintain Minimum Living Standards (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/2/news/nsing04.html>
"The best way to command a premum is through productivity. Hence what is more important is to have minimum skills to remain employable in the new economy."

CashCards Top-up Fees At Some Petrol Stations (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin6_0620.html>
Some petrol stations charge for CashCard top-ups while others do not, depending on a number of conditions.