[MyAppleMenu] Jun 10, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Sat Jun 10 21:30:02 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

>From Brazil: QuickTime Server On OS 9 (MacNews Brasil)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2585618,00.html>
A team of Brazilian developers said they have tapped the open-source code of Apple's Darwin program to create a QuickTime-based streaming-media application that runs atop the current consumer version of the Mac OS.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

>From Brazil: QuickTime Server On OS 9 (MacNews Brasil)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2585618,00.html>
A team of Brazilian developers said they have tapped the open-source code of Apple's Darwin program to create a QuickTime-based streaming-media application that runs atop the current consumer version of the Mac OS.

Apple Sees UK Sales Soar (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=1420>
AppleÕs share of the overall UK PC market in the first quarter of this year saw an amazing 46 per cent growth over the same quarter in 1999.

Apple Mistaken In Axing Local Service Providers (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2000/06/20000609122910.shtml>
I'm not sure what could be done to remedy that problem, but I think that removing the liaison provided by local authorized dealers is not a satisfactory answer.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

Ultra Lingua French-English, Spanish-English, And German-English Dictionaries (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/mooresviews/ul.shtml>
These dictionaries work well, and the only thing I found to complain about is that if you accidentally scroll away from the search result in the middle translation field, you can't snap back to it by double-clicking in the entry field.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/00/smac/>
The Alpha Centauri design team, led by Brian Reynolds, has achieved a level of success that has yet to be surpassed and has only been matched by the best games of all time.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

The Colossus of Redmond Suddenly Seems More Human (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/10windows.html>
"We used to be viewed as invincible, and now we're not. That was one of our most valuable assets, and now it's gone."

Will Pocket PC Flourish Or Flounder? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2584848,00.html>
The Microsoft Corp. case and Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson's ruling center on Windows, leaving the future of Pocket PC, the operating system for handhelds, up in the air.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Microsoft Paints A Bleak Post-Breakup Picture (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2049672.html?dtn.head>
A confusing landscape of bureaucratic regulations, coupled with a distinct lack of innovation and virtually no tangible benefits to customers: That will be the bleak future of technology in the wake of the government's antitrust case against Microsoft, said an attorney with close ties to the software giant.

What The Microsoft Order Does (Associated Press)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2000/06/08/national0157EDT0441.DTL&type=tech_article>
The ruling in the Microsoft case Wednesday by U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson splits Microsoft into two parts of differing size.

The Colossus of Redmond Suddenly Seems More Human (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/10windows.html>
"We used to be viewed as invincible, and now we're not. That was one of our most valuable assets, and now it's gone."

How Microsoft Lost The Case (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2585154,00.html>
Microsoft's changing defense strategies, questionable videotaped demo and press leaks directly contributed to breakup order.

Intel Plans Mobile Megahertz Blitz (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2585090,00.html>
Five new chips due this month. Three chips turn up the juice when it comes to clock speed, while two low-power ones address the mininotebook market.

Will Pocket PC Flourish Or Flounder? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2584848,00.html>
The Microsoft Corp. case and Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson's ruling center on Windows, leaving the future of Pocket PC, the operating system for handhelds, up in the air.

The Consensus Machine (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/current/index_sf4096.html>
The Internet has matured to the point where people are increasingly asking: who runs it, and on whose behalf?

Dot-communist Manifesto (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000611mag-counterculture.html>
Sure, Marxism flopped in the real world. But cyberspace is finally poised to deliver on its promise to revive the collective spirit.

Dial-up Ain't Dead (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,17076,00.html>
Suffering from the can't-get-broadband blues? Here's good news for analog modems.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

Grok This: Standard Spins Ad Boom Into New Mag (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,5539,00.html>
The Industry Standard, so fat with ad pages that the weekly worries that readers and advertisers may be turned off by the clutter -- and its journalists forced to shovel filler -- is spinning off its special reports into a monthly magazine.

The Consensus Machine (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/current/index_sf4096.html>
The Internet has matured to the point where people are increasingly asking: who runs it, and on whose behalf?

Welcome To IBM's Wired Home (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,17107,00.html>
A tour of the IBM Pervasive Computing Lab shows future home appliances are full of the Net.

Do You Care Who's Reading Your Work E-mail? (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,17108,00.html>
Most workers don't stress about who's reading their e-mail, but perhaps more of them should.

Dot-communist Manifesto (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000611mag-counterculture.html>
Sure, Marxism flopped in the real world. But cyberspace is finally poised to deliver on its promise to revive the collective spirit.

'Real Teenager' Turns Real E-entrepreneur (Natonal Post)
<http://www.nationalpost.com/financialpost.asp?f=000609/311927&s2=canadianbusiness>
Teen-targeted site heralds Webmaster in the making.

Dial-up Ain't Dead (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,17076,00.html>
Suffering from the can't-get-broadband blues? Here's good news for analog modems.

A Web Site For Bookworms (PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,17094,00.html>
PreviewPort hopes to be a home for readers and writers, but is still in progress.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

Linux Operating SytT Benefit Frm Microsoft's Legal Fight (Associated Press)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500214175-500302653-501674394-0,00.html>
Linux, which presents a cute penguin as its mascot, is in many ways the polar opposite of Microsoft's Windows operating system. While Microsoft keeps tight control over its flagship product, Linux is owned by nobody and can be modified by anybody.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Grok This: Standard Spins Ad Boom Into New Mag (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,5539,00.html>
The Industry Standard, so fat with ad pages that the weekly worries that readers and advertisers may be turned off by the clutter -- and its journalists forced to shovel filler -- is spinning off its special reports into a monthly magazine.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Why The Media Scene Has To Be Freed Up More (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin21_0610.html>
In the end, the Media Big Bang turned out to be a bang with little fizz. As Singapore analyst Lim Say Boon told the Financial Times: "It's not a big bang. It's not even a little bang It's a piff, the sort of sound you get when a firecracker fails to go off.''

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Conference And Exhibition On Tamil Internet 2000 (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/06/10/singaporenews29394.htm>
"Directions to the Digital World" - that's the theme of the world's largest conference and exhibition on Tamil Internet to be held at the Singapore International Convention and Exhibition Centre from July 22 to July 24.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

International Animation Festival Opens At Suntec City (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/06/10/singaporenews29390.htm>
Twenty well-known animators will share their knowledge, including Steven Stalberg who created Webbie, the world's first virtual supermodel.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Why The Media Scene Has To Be Freed Up More (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin21_0610.html>
In the end, the Media Big Bang turned out to be a bang with little fizz. As Singapore analyst Lim Say Boon told the Financial Times: "It's not a big bang. It's not even a little bang It's a piff, the sort of sound you get when a firecracker fails to go off.''

Singpaore is All Set To Be A Major Media Hub (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri2_0610.html>
17 licensed satellite broadcasters here so far; S'pore to be made premier site for development of content.