[MyAppleMenu] Jul 10, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Mon Jul 10 21:05:02 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Apple At Macworld Expo New York 2000 (Apple Press Release)
<http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2000/jul/10mwny00alert.html>

iMac 350 Officially Discontinued (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=67>
All this reaffirms reports from the past weeks that point to a new iMac being unveiled at Macworld Conference & Expo in New York next week.

Personal Navigator Comes To Mac Palm Users (The Macjunkie)
<http://www.themacjunkie.com/archives/7.10.00.vindigo.html>

Pre-Macworld Excitement Drives Apple's Stock Higher (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/00/07/applestockwatch20000710.shtml>

Borland's JBuilder Goes OS X Savvy (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/10.jbuilder.shtml>

Record-breaking Macworld Expo Promised (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=1551>

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Apple Could Learn A Thing Or Two From The Harry Potter Books (MacSoldiers.com)
<http://www.macsoldiers.com/columns/2000/000710gw-harrypotter.html>
Harry Potter makes me hope that we will once again have a computer industry that produces rock solid products that have few problems and required little or no support. Hey, I guess thatÕs why HarryÕs a wizard, huh?

Journalism Ethics, Credentials, And More Perspectives (MacSoldiers.com)
<http://www.macsoldiers.com/columns/2000/000710mm-journethics.html>
The debate raging on Mac Web sites now is one about how to handle information.

.Net? .Not! Microsoft Abandons Future To Apple (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thebackpage/2000/20000710.shtml>
I do not want my data stored and controlled by Microsoft, or any other company. I do not want to trust them with my data's privacy or security.

Go For The Games (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/PeteOttman/PeteOttman3.html>
Question: What company has about $3 billion in its piggy bank and a problem with good games not coming to its platform in a timely manner?

Road Trip Reflections (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/ibook/roadtrip.html>
Family vacation provides hands-on experience with a PowerBook, Earthlink, and lots more.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

Animation Master Millennium (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/08/reviews/animation_review.html>
Animation Master Millennium's wealth of features makes it robust but adds to its complexity: you'll need artistic talent and ample learning time to turn your office into the next Disney or Pixar studio.

Make Some Noise (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/08/features/make_noise.html>
As processor speeds continue to climb, look for increasingly versatile software synthesizers and effects plug-ins.

Shockwave 8 And ShockMachine (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/imac/evan44.html>

Realmz (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/gaming/2k0711.html>

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

Dell Withdraws Sleek Consumer PC Line (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2233426.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Dell Computer has quietly discontinued its stylish WebPC line while announcing today a new push into the consumer market.

Color Craze Fades As Compaq Yanks Its Stylish PC (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2235406.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
The demise of the stylish PC, decked out in a magnetic blue case and sporting an LCD flat-panel display and speakers, comes as rival Dell Computer pulls the plug on its colorful WebPC.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Dell Withdraws Sleek Consumer PC Line (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2233426.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Dell Computer has quietly discontinued its stylish WebPC line while announcing today a new push into the consumer market.

Dell's New PCs Toe Performance Line (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2600908,00.html>
The new Dimension 4100 series resets the price/performance bar -- offering high-end components at a decidedly mainstream starting price of $1,300.

Color Craze Fades As Compaq Yanks Its Stylish PC (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2235406.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
The demise of the stylish PC, decked out in a magnetic blue case and sporting an LCD flat-panel display and speakers, comes as rival Dell Computer pulls the plug on its colorful WebPC.

Will Microsoft Just Keep On Trucking? (Inter at ctive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2600247,00.html>
Legal woes. Market slowdowns. Stock declines. Still, coming through the toughest year in its existence, Microsoft is expected to report record revenue and income for its most recent fiscal year.

Microsoft Seeds The Channel (Inter at ctive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2600249,00.html>
Microsoft is ensuring its future in the emerging application service provider market the way it knows best - by spending its way in.

.Net? .Not! Microsoft Abandons Future To Apple (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thebackpage/2000/20000710.shtml>
I do not want my data stored and controlled by Microsoft, or any other company. I do not want to trust them with my data's privacy or security.

Notebook PCs A Liability -- Compaq (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/11839.html>
A survey conducted on Compaq's behalf by MORI has concluded that business is under threat because of the lack of notebook security.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ====================

What Next For Netscape? (American-Statesman)
<http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/business_1.html>
In Netscape's opinion, the guts of its browser are its true glory.

In Quebec, 'Le Combat' Over The Web (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/429775.asphttp://www.msnbc.com/news/429775.asp>
English-only websites feel the heat from 'language police'.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

Regulators Get Tough With Cybersquatters (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2600799,00.html>
The World Wrestling Federation and Sting can rest easier. The World Intellectual Property Organization is after Internet-address hijackers.

All Eyes On Yahoo's Ad Revenue (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2235423.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
&quot;People are nervous about advertising and how many of these companies will survive.&quot;

Designing For The Web (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/07/09/0709rsprintvweb.html>
How important is visual design in an interactive medium? And what do designers need to learn to make the transition?

What Next For Netscape? (American-Statesman)
<http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/business_1.html>
In Netscape's opinion, the guts of its browser are its true glory.

The New Music Label (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,37460,00.html>
With Friday's purchase of the Los Angeles-based music label 1500 Records, riffage.com established itself as the first true online music label.

.Net? .Not! Microsoft Abandons Future To Apple (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thebackpage/2000/20000710.shtml>
I do not want my data stored and controlled by Microsoft, or any other company. I do not want to trust them with my data's privacy or security.

Look Before You Link (Daily Deal)
<http://www.thedailydeal.com/features/judgment/A25190-2000Jul7.html>
Companies that place financial information on their Web sites or provide hyperlinks to third-party sites should be more careful now that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has issued a new interpretive release on the use of the Internet and other electronic media.

Why I Came To Silicon Valley (Scripting News)
<http://davenet.userland.com/2000/07/08/whyICameToSilconValley>
The users renegotiated. You don't get to keep all the money anymore.

WAP Backlash (Useit)
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000709.html>
The sad conclusion: it will be much more expensive to develop services for WAP than for conventional browsers.

In Quebec, 'Le Combat' Over The Web (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/429775.asphttp://www.msnbc.com/news/429775.asp>
English-only websites feel the heat from 'language police'.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Red Hat Unveils Linux &quot;Clustering&quot; Software For Servers (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2234963.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Red Hat has released &quot;clustering&quot; software that enables computers to share work or take over from each other if one fails.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

Red Hat Unveils Linux &quot;Clustering&quot; Software For Servers (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2234963.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Red Hat has released &quot;clustering&quot; software that enables computers to share work or take over from each other if one fails.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Judge Govt's Pay Policy By Results (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for1_0711.html>
Ong Keng Yong, Press Secretary to the Prime Minister: Ultimately, the question is whether Singaporeans believe in the value of the virtuous cycle we have created. Do Singaporeans believe that we need a good government for healthy economic growth? Are we getting value for money for what we pay the ministers, MPs and civil servants?

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Take Away Their Scholarships Now (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for4_0711.html>
Tony Halim: Is this the kind of future leaders we want for the public or private sectors?

Scholars Who Break Bonds Are Like Robbers (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for3_0711.html>
Yeh Siang Hui: No one should apply for a scholarship if he plans to move around in the job market after graduation; or if he is not inclined to serve out his bond.

Judge Govt's Pay Policy By Results (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for1_0711.html>
Ong Keng Yong, Press Secretary to the Prime Minister: Ultimately, the question is whether Singaporeans believe in the value of the virtuous cycle we have created. Do Singaporeans believe that we need a good government for healthy economic growth? Are we getting value for money for what we pay the ministers, MPs and civil servants?

Singapore 2nd-Qtr GDP Grew Better-Than-Expected 7.7% (Bloomberg)
<http://www.bloomberg.com/bbn/topfin_2.html>
Singapore's economy grew faster than expected in the second quarter as the island's move to open its telecommunications market fueled growth among services industries.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Singaporeans Prefer Bank Branches To Online Banking (Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/2/news/nsing05.html>
&quot;Internet banks in Asia could face a slippery slope because consumer desire to have them is low.&quot;

Point, Click And Watch On TCS 5 (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri8_0711.html>

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

Good Grief! Singapore DJs In Musical (Asia E!Online)
<http://asia.eonline.com/News/Stories/Content/0,1028,3107,00.html>
Singapore radio presenters, Robin Goh and Petrina Kow, have been handpicked to join the cast of the musical You're a Good Man Charlie Brown.