[MyAppleMenu] Jul 7, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Fri Jul 7 21:05:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Apple Courts Snubbed Retailers With New Attitude, New Policies (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/429891.asp?cp1=1>
Two years after practically disappearing from many U.S. retail stores, Apple Computer Inc. is back on the shelves.

The Cathedral And The Bizarre (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/00/07/07/index.html>
Eric Raymond had some choice words for the programmers at MacHack 2000.. I wish he'd have chosen them a bit better.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Sony-Cnnectix Bout Moves To Next Round (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2600006,00.html>
A week after withdrawing, then refiling, a patent-infringement suit over Connectix's PlayStation emulator, Sony predicted the case will come to trial this fall.

Apple Courts Snubbed Retailers With New Attitude, New Policies (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/429891.asp?cp1=1>
Two years after practically disappearing from many U.S. retail stores, Apple Computer Inc. is back on the shelves.

Nvidia Denies OEM Deal With Apple (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/07.oem.shtml>
&quot;We're not announcing specific card designs for the Macintosh at this point, but we felt it was important to get the message out there that we support the Mac.&quot;

CPU Upgrades Old And New From Newer (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/07/02/0707newerup.html>
Newer Technology announced that it is shipping three PowerPC G3 CPU upgrades that it pulled from the market during its recent financial difficulties, along with a new 500 MHz G4 ZIF upgrade for Beige and Blue G3 Power Macs.

The Cathedral And The Bizarre (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/00/07/07/index.html>
Eric Raymond had some choice words for the programmers at MacHack 2000.. I wish he'd have chosen them a bit better.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

HP DeskJet 932C (MacSoldiers.com)
<http://www.macsoldiers.com/reviews/2000/000707jb-deskjet932c.html>
The DeskJet 932C is not going to win any awards for high-resolution color output onto glossy paper. That aside, it is a good low price printer that is extremely fast and prints excellent text even in draft mode.

AppleWorks 6 (MacNN)
<http://review.macnn.com/reviews/appleworks6/appleworks6.shtml>
AppleWorks 6 lacks any single, truly innovative and impressive new feature.

MacInTouch (Apple iReview)
<http://ireview.mac.com/WebObjects/iReview.woa/wa/GoReview?u=15331802&site=380&cat=202>
MacInTouch is an excellent resource for readers patient enough to ÒgetÓ it. An acquired taste, like Brussels sprouts or flossing, its benefits become apparent only after youÕre hooked.

The Scientific Platform (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/07/02/0707myerssci.html>
There are many other excellent science programs for the Mac. I've hit on enough here to confirm the Mac's viability.

Web Users Will Welcome New-Look Netscape (Federal Computer Week)
<http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/07/05/netscape.beta.review.idg/index.html>
Anyone who uses the Web will welcome the final release of Netscape 6.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

The Difficult Birth Of Windows Me (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/Analysis/1105995>
So why all the fuss over a petty final footnote in the Windows 9x saga, in a year when Windows 2000 is surely the big news?

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Why Intel Scuttled 800MHz Xeon (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2599743,00.html>
Some of the world’s largest computer makers and their customers say Intel is producing chips too quickly.

The Difficult Birth Of Windows Me (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/Analysis/1105995>
So why all the fuss over a petty final footnote in the Windows 9x saga, in a year when Windows 2000 is surely the big news?

Microsoft Abandons Telewest Plan (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2599635,00.html>

Microsoft Shifts Japan Focus From ISP To Portal (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-2216787.html?tag=st.ne.1004.thed.ni>
Software giant Microsoft said it will transfer its Japanese Internet service provider business to Plala, a subsidiary of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone, according to a report.

Microsoft Database Hammered (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/07/06/000706hnsqlserver.xml>
Microsoft's SQL Server 2000 database, which is set to ship within a month, suffered a double embarrassment this week.

Microsoft Falls Short Of Aiding Small Businesses (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2214808.html?dtn.head>
Microsoft shelved one of its marketing services for small businesses this week, acknowledging it couldn't help those ventures surmount the financial advantages of their larger competitors.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ====================

Privacy Suit Targets Netscape (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,37435,00.html>
The suit alleges that the companies secretly monitor file transfers between Internet sites and Internet users.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

Privacy Suit Targets Netscape (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,37435,00.html>
The suit alleges that the companies secretly monitor file transfers between Internet sites and Internet users.

Microsoft Shifts Japan Focus From ISP To Portal (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-2216787.html?tag=st.ne.1004.thed.ni>
Software giant Microsoft said it will transfer its Japanese Internet service provider business to Plala, a subsidiary of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone, according to a report.

Online Marketplaces Are Raising Antitrust Concerns (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/anti070700.htm>

Globally Speaking, It's Still A Man's World Online (InternetNews)
<http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article/0,2171,4_409901,00.html>
Although women Web surfers in the U.S. have achieved better-than-parity with the men, it remains a man's world online in many nations around the globe, says a new audience report.

Being Smart -- Internet Style (FamilyPC)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2599103,00.html>
As we move to a world where knowledge resides online, the definition of a smart person may be different. The smart person in the '00s won't be the one who knows everything. She'll be the one who knows where to go to find what she needs.

The Flipper Factor (Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/forbes/00/0724/6517198a.htm>
A research psychologist links dolphin behavior and Web surfers. One day that could mean better Internet searches.

Web Portal Shakeout Likely In China (MaxisNet)
<http://www.zdnetasia.com/stories/0,10000007,10081843,00.html>
With ever-more general interest Web sites in China chasing limited advertising dollars and still-distant e-commerce revenue, mainland-focused portals face a shakeout, industry sources and analysts say.

Dell Web Site Is The Worst In The World (The Register)
<http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?x8094942>
The report claims that more than 40 per cent of leading UK and US public companies are failing to take the Web seriously as a communication channel and are not using it as a direct communication medium with customers, investors and other target audiences.

Adventures On The Amazon.com (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/JamesGlassman/JamesGlassman7.html>
Will Amazon.com run out of money in the next year? A recent report from Lehman Brothers said yes, causing the stock to swoon even further below its 12-month high of $113 per share. After positive comments from founder and CEO Jeff Bezos in recent days, the stock has recovered a bit, but at a recent $36, Amazon still has plenty of disappointed investors. Is the party over for the company that has defined consumer e-commerce?

The Internet As A &quot;Platform&quot; (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/StanislavKelman/StanislavKelman9.html>
In essence, if the above predictions turn out to be accurate, the Internet of the future is going to become a highly unified &quot;platform&quot; controlled by the same company that has long ruled the desktop computing realm. And, if Microsoft indeed gets broken up into two separate entities, it will be the &quot;applications&quot; business that will inherit the said &quot;platform&quot; and we'll be stuck with two monopolies rather than one.

Web Users Will Welcome New-Look Netscape (Federal Computer Week)
<http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/07/05/netscape.beta.review.idg/index.html>
Anyone who uses the Web will welcome the final release of Netscape 6.

Japanese Pioneers Brave New World Of Wireless Internet (USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/money/bcovfri.htm>

IP, The P.O box Of The Future (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/business/columns/technology/dotcom/A54125-2000Jul5.html>
The Internet of the future will give me a magical number, VeriSign chief executive Stratton Sclavos said, to unify my fragmented digital self.

Plagued By Inconsistency, WAP Services Are A Flop (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/429415.asp?0nm=-26C>
Far from the zippy Web experience that the industry’s publicists have promised, WAP is all too often a story of overloaded computers, a few unimaginative services and a couple of lines of slow-moving text on a screen half the size of a credit card.

eBay Or The Highway (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/Features/ebay/ebay.asp>
Its size is its selling point -- and its curse.

Fruit For Thought (Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/forbes/00/0724/6517186a.htm>
Ads are everywhere these days, from car wraps to baggage carousels. So why not banana peels?

The Easy Way To Publish An Online College Paper (About.com)
<http://usnewspapers.about.com/newsissues/usnewspapers/library/weekly/aa070500a.htm>
Well, what if I said you could create a complete online newspaper -- with templated design, lots of tech bells and whistles, and a strong management structure -- and it would only take you a day or so.

FBI Probing Japanese Company's Deal For Internet Service Provider (Associated Press)
<http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?x8092832>

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ====================

The Cathedral And The Bizarre (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/00/07/07/index.html>
Eric Raymond had some choice words for the programmers at MacHack 2000.. I wish he'd have chosen them a bit better.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

Linux Security Bosted (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/07/07/000707hnsolsoft.xml>

The Cathedral And The Bizarre (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/00/07/07/index.html>
Eric Raymond had some choice words for the programmers at MacHack 2000.. I wish he'd have chosen them a bit better.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Can Everyone Please Lay Off Darva Conger? (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/code/Culturebox/Culturebox.asp?Show=7/6/00&idMessage=5627>
Sure we'll watch, but we won't keep watching unless you give us some tits and ass, some fits of social awkwardness, some good nighttime action. And no, we won't respect you in the morning. By Judith Shulevitz.

Bulging Brains -- And Breasts (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/07/07/brains_beauty/index.html>
Yeah, instead of G-strings, these women are now blessed with skin-tight bodysuits. But the difference is simply the color of the pixels. By Janelle Brown.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Stricter Rules For Sites With .com.sg Suffix (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber1_0708.html>
Websites using domain names with the Singapore suffix &quot;.com.sg' cannot be used for profit or be sold.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Dairy Farm To Roll Out 10 Hypermarts In 3-4 Years (Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/6/news/nsing02.html>
If the initial response to the new 100,000 sq ft outlet is any indication, the company might be tempted to establish a stronger presence here.

Killer Littler Offenders' Flats Confiscated (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/07/07/singaporenews31270.htm>
Singapore's Housing Board is taking back three flats where the occupiers had recently been convicted of killer litter offences.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Stricter Rules For Sites With .com.sg Suffix (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber1_0708.html>
Websites using domain names with the Singapore suffix &quot;.com.sg' cannot be used for profit or be sold.

MediaRing Leaps 45% On Market Talk Of Takeover (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/6/news/nfrnt02.html>
Fuelling the activity were various rumours in the market.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

Ann Kok Dares To &quot;Bare&quot; (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life5_0708.html>
Forget mere frisking to look for drugs. Julian Cheung plays a cop who insists that Ann Kok takes it all off.

Phyllis Quek Is Caledcott's Queen Of Fashion (Eastciti)
<http://www.eastciti.com/cgi-bin/redirect.asp?reference=http://www.eastciti.com/001_celebs/2000/features/20000706_1.htm>