[MyAppleMenu] Dec 21, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 21 21:05:01 EST 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

 Marty's Holiday Mac Wish List : Looking Back On This Year's Mac News (Byte)
<http://www.byte.com/column/BYT20001211S0001>
As 2000 draws to a close, it gives me the opportunity to look back on the past months, as well as draw up a wish list for 2001.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

 Macintosh Fans Can Finally Join The Speech Transcription Game (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/21/technology/21GEE3.html>

 Iomega Ships Predator CD-RW Drive (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0012/20.iomega.shtml>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

 Marty's Holiday Mac Wish List : Looking Back On This Year's Mac News (Byte)
<http://www.byte.com/column/BYT20001211S0001>
As 2000 draws to a close, it gives me the opportunity to look back on the past months, as well as draw up a wish list for 2001.

 the Fuure Is... Darwindows? (Linux.com)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2667057,00.html>
For fans of free Unix-like operating systems, though, it's great news that there's another option for Apple's PowerPC hardware.

 Up, Up, And Beleaguered? (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/up.html>

 Sustaining The Vision (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/12/17/1220shalatcube.html>
Can we see what's next? It will be interesting to watch how much of the vision has remained intact, and how much of that we can discern.

 Macworld San Fransisco in December? (Artificial Cheese)
<http://www.artificialcheese.com/articles/december00/macworld/>
Article regarding the downsides to moving Macworld in order to acommodate the holiday shopping season.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

 iBook SE (MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/news/reviews/2001_01_02.shtml>
The iBook has finally grown into its potential with the iBook SE. This third-generation low-cost laptop has almost everything you could want in a portable Mac, including FireWire, DVD, and video out, and its beefed-up internals make for the best portable you can buy under $2,499.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

 Amazon Set To Open E-Commerce Outlet Store (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4227864.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Amazon.com will officially open an online outlet store next week, betting bargain hunters will snatch up deals on the Web as quickly as they do at thrift shops or bargain basements.

 Online Ad Spending Drops 6.5 Percent In Third Quarter (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4229874.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Internet ad spending softened in the last three months, marking the first time Web ad sales fell quarter to quarter, according to a new study.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ==============

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

 the Fuure Is... Darwindows? (Linux.com)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2667057,00.html>
For fans of free Unix-like operating systems, though, it's great news that there's another option for Apple's PowerPC hardware.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

 Streats Ahead With Readership (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,11982,00.html?>
Streats, Singapore Press Holdings' free commuter tabloid, is read more than its competitor, Today.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ==============

 Broadband Set Up May Cost More (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/story/0,1870,12045,00.html?>
First-time broadband users can expect to pay up to $500 more to get started next year if government subsidies to SingNet and PacNet are stopped.

 I Clicked And The Nightmare Began (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,12117,00.html?>
Tang Hwee Meng: Just what kind of service is singtelshop.com giving? It should not offer such a facility if its staff are not up to it.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

 Bigger SCV Listings Ahead (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,12080,00.html?>
Vivien Chiong, Senior Manager, Corporate Communication, SCV: After the revamp in September, SCV received customer feedback about their discomfort over the smaller font size. At SCV, we take customer feedback very seriously and, so, a new template for the listings was immediately done.