[MyAppleMenu] Dec 1, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Fri Dec 1 21:05:05 EST 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

Slick Transitions & Effects: New Plug-Ins For iMovie (Macworld)
<http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/11/30/slick.html>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

Did Netscape Jump The Gun With New Browser? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3935388.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Long heckled for being late to market with its new browser, Netscape Communications is now the target of critics who say the company jumped the gun in releasing the browser this month.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

Netscape 6 Browser: Mixed Bag (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/30/technology/30STAT.html>
If Web-page designers are mostly pleased with Netscape 6, ordinary mortals are in for a broad array of disappointments.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

Microsoft Shares Drop On PC Worries (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3941938.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft shares posted their third-biggest one-day drop in a decade Thursday on concern that revenue at the world's largest software maker may be hurt by weak holiday sales of personal computers.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

eMachines Bucks PC Downturn (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2659758,00.html>
It may not be the best time to unveil new PCs, but the company is doing it anyway.

NEC Recalls Transmeta Notebooks (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2659297,00.html>
Blaming a chip-manufacturing problem, NEC calls back hundreds of Crusoe-based notebooks in Japan. Sony denies a reported recall.

Gates' Secret Plan To Save The World (MSNBC)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2659377,00.html>
So here's a plan outlining how he can make a running start at saving the world; the peace part will have to work itself out.

Microsoft Shares Drop On PC Worries (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3941938.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft shares posted their third-biggest one-day drop in a decade Thursday on concern that revenue at the world's largest software maker may be hurt by weak holiday sales of personal computers.

Dell Invests In Linux-For-The-Masses Company (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-3938654.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Dell Computer has invested in Eazel, a company devoted to making Linux easier for average computer users, and will include its software on Linux desktop and laptop computers.

Compaq CEO's Memo Tries To Ease Employee Fears (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-3939505.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Compaq chief executive Michael Capellas attempted Thursday to calm employee worries about the jittery PC market, which has been rocked by falling stock prices.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

Monsieur, Do You Yahoo? (Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/335/business/Monsieur_do_you_Yahoo_+.shtml>
This Gomez fellow obviously has too much time on his hands, to judge by his wacky Yahoo ruling. Perhaps he should be assigned to enforce it. We can put him to work 18 hours a day, scouring Yahoo's vast archives for pro-Nazi sentiments with the Ahab-like diligence of a Democrat in search of dimpled chads.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

Monsieur, Do You Yahoo? (Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/335/business/Monsieur_do_you_Yahoo_+.shtml>
This Gomez fellow obviously has too much time on his hands, to judge by his wacky Yahoo ruling. Perhaps he should be assigned to enforce it. We can put him to work 18 hours a day, scouring Yahoo's vast archives for pro-Nazi sentiments with the Ahab-like diligence of a Democrat in search of dimpled chads.

Netscape 6 Browser: Mixed Bag (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/30/technology/30STAT.html>
If Web-page designers are mostly pleased with Netscape 6, ordinary mortals are in for a broad array of disappointments.

Dot-Com CEO Departures Still Leading The Pack (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-3936898.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Chief executive departures rose 59 percent in November to 111, led by dot-com companies, according to a report released Thursday by recruitment company Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

Despite Tough Year, Amazon's Bezos Keeps His Chin Up (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-201-3934571-0.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..sf>
It's a sure bet that Amazon.com chief executive Jeff Bezos won't repeat as "Person of the Year."

Did Netscape Jump The Gun With New Browser? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3935388.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Long heckled for being late to market with its new browser, Netscape Communications is now the target of critics who say the company jumped the gun in releasing the browser this month.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Red Hat Drops Sparc Support With New Linux Version (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3937182.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Red Hat has dropped support for Sun Microsystems' Sparc chips for its new version 7 of Linux, saying there just wasn't enough interest in the product.

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

Red Hat Drops Sparc Support With New Linux Version (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3937182.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Red Hat has dropped support for Sun Microsystems' Sparc chips for its new version 7 of Linux, saying there just wasn't enough interest in the product.

Dell Invests In Linux-For-The-Masses Company (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-3938654.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Dell Computer has invested in Eazel, a company devoted to making Linux easier for average computer users, and will include its software on Linux desktop and laptop computers.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

Incensed Singapore Raises Stakes In Row With Wahid (The Age)
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/2000/12/01/FFXCN3I66GC.html>
The Singapore Government-controlled newspaper The Straits Times has branded as "unjustified and underhand" an attack on Singapore's leaders by Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid.

New A Levels Give Students The Jitters (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,7127,00.html?>
Five in 10 polled fear they can't cope with the changes and are considering the polytechnic route instead.

Can Katong's Laid-Back Charm Be Saved? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,7165,00.html?>
The Eurasian families are long gone, the ending of rent control has slowed the commercial pulse, only landmarks remain to be saved, say residents.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

News Personalities Join SPH As TV Journalists (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,7166,00.html?>
Two familiar television personalities, Channel News- Asia's Arnold Gay and Michelle Quah, join Singapore Press Holdings' (SPH) TV News Unit as senior broadcast journalists today.

Vincent Out? No Comment, No Comment, No Comment (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sports/story/0,1870,7176,00.html?>
>From morning until evening, FAS officials were seen going into each other's offices for discussions.

Why Charge For Not Doing Anything? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,7229,00.html?>
Tan Peng Lin: It is clearly illogical to charge consumers for censorship of items which have already been approved, and when the censorship procedure has not been activated.