[MyAppleMenu] Aug 28, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Mon Aug 28 21:05:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

5 Reasons Why I'll Treasure My iBook (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/ibookni.html>
By the way, the customs officer's remarks upon seeing my iBook was &quot;It's quite a cute machine, isn't it?&quot;.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Apple Getting The Future Right (themestream)
<http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=152441&id_list=&cookied=T>
There is a reason why he was tossed out of Apple his first time around and why his NeXT experiment failed. There is also a reason why employees at Pixar prefer that Jobs act more as a &quot;consultant&quot; than a CEO. But wherever he was, he always had the &quot;vision&quot; which made the original Apple Computers Inc. so successful, but, more importantly, so different.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

Stairways Software's Interarchy (The Macjunkie)
<http://www.themacjunkie.com/archives/8.28.00.interarchy.html>
While decent chunks of this new, super-centralized version of Anarchy are without use, their existence is harmless, and the new features that are useful make the whole package worthwhile.

5 Reasons Why I'll Treasure My iBook (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/ibookni.html>
By the way, the customs officer's remarks upon seeing my iBook was &quot;It's quite a cute machine, isn't it?&quot;.

Mia 2: Romaine's New Hat (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0008/27.mia2.shtml>
Mia 2: Romaine's New Hat is a fun, interactive story that immerses children in the story line while interesting them in science activities.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

Report Questions A Number In Microsoft Trial (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/08/biztech/articles/28apps.html>
Do 70,000 computer programs depend on Windows or fewer than 10,000?

Windows Me Works For Me But Might Not For You (The Florida Times-Union)
<http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082700/bus_3894746.html>
Personally, I like the new Windows. But maybe that's just me.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

AMD Jacks Up Athlon Processor To 1.1 GHz (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2614280.html?dtn.head>
Advanced Micro Devices has cranked up the speed of its Athlon processors again.

Report Questions A Number In Microsoft Trial (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/08/biztech/articles/28apps.html>
Do 70,000 computer programs depend on Windows or fewer than 10,000?

Windows Me Works For Me But Might Not For You (The Florida Times-Union)
<http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082700/bus_3894746.html>
Personally, I like the new Windows. But maybe that's just me.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

A Short Life For Ads At Top Of Web Pages (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/08/biztech/articles/28surv.html>
A study found that a majority of online advertisements had short life spans, running three weeks or less.

China Tackles Cybersquatters (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_897000/897413.stm>
China has introduced tough new measures to stop people from cybersquatting following legal wrangles involving companies such as Microsoft.

Clinton Opens Internet Site To Match Teachers To Schools (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/08/biztech/articles/27teacher-site.html>
Trying to use the Internet to fill a teacher shortage, President Clinton launched a one-stop clearinghouse Saturday to help schools find qualified teachers.

Some Web Users Handle Online Privacy themselves, Study Says (Los Angeles Times Syndicate)
<http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082700/bus_3894746.html>
The nation's Internet users want stronger online privacy protections and many use fake names, dummy e-mail accounts and data scrambling software to preserve their anonymity, a new study has found.

Corporate CEOs: Just Do IT! (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2615699,00.html>
Dotcoms want leaders who can wield technology as a strategic weapon. IT education programs are a growing part of their arsenal.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ====================

OpenBSD's Good Example (RootPrompt.org)
<http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=832>
You should not have to be an expert to get a secure Linux machine. There are just not enough Linux experts to go around and there will be many unsecured Linux machines on the net.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

OpenBSD's Good Example (RootPrompt.org)
<http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=832>
You should not have to be an expert to get a secure Linux machine. There are just not enough Linux experts to go around and there will be many unsecured Linux machines on the net.

Linux For The Desktop -- Way To Go? (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/MarkSummerfield/MarkSummerfield2.html>

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Four Little Words (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/2000/08/28/work_for_hire/index.html>
How the record industry used a tiny legislative amendment to try to steal recording copyrights from artists -- forever. By Eric Boehlert.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

5 Reasons Why I'll Treasure My iBook (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/ibookni.html>
By the way, the customs officer's remarks upon seeing my iBook was &quot;It's quite a cute machine, isn't it?&quot;.

Time To Bid Tower Books Farewell? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri1_0828.html>
The store, one of the first cutting-edge bookshops here, may be gone soon. Sales are on now to clear stocks.

Three Days' Paternity Leave For Civil Servants (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri1_0828.html>
Men have to be more active as parents, says PM; he also warns against having children just for the Baby Bonus.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Fear Of Risk-Taking In The Civil Service (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for5_0828.html>
Ang Peng Seng: I have worked with, and for, some of them, and their sense of self-preservation was so strong that it often clouded their decision making.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

5 Reasons Why I'll Treasure My iBook (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/ibookni.html>
By the way, the customs officer's remarks upon seeing my iBook was &quot;It's quite a cute machine, isn't it?&quot;.

Start-Ups: More Than Ideas Needed (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber1_0828.html>
Aspiring technopreneurs at the ST Technopreneur Forum get to know the rudiments of the game, together with valuable tips from the panelists.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================