[MyAppleMenu] Aug 19, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Sat Aug 19 21:05:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Happy Birthday, iMac (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2000/08/birthday/>
To celebrate this week’s two-year anniversary of the iMac, we asked its biggest fans — those who own one — to tell us how it changed your lives during the past two years. This is what you wrote...

Should You Have Macs On Your Network As Well As PCs? (TechRepublic)
<http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml;$sessionid$CMCILIIAAATJQCTEAAMCFFQ?id=r00320000818det01.htm>

Reflections On The Aqua UI (Wincent.org)
<http://wincent.org/showpage.php3?article=opinion/000819aqua.php3>
We believe that Aqua, and OS X, could turn out very well indeed. We were sceptics at first, as is no doubt evident from the tone of this article, but we're coming around. It's interesting to see how one can never tell the way the future will go.

Apple's Unsung Hero? (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/08/13/0818demos.html>
If you are willing to give Bill Clinton even partial credit for the current economic boom, then he may well be the unsung hero in Apple's financial recovery.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Broadcast Students Scoop With iMovie And Final Cut Pro (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/education/hed/macsinaction/calpoly/>
&quot;It's like riding a one-speed bicycle for years, then suddenly finding yourself aboard a jet plane.&quot;

Happy Birthday, iMac (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2000/08/birthday/>
To celebrate this week’s two-year anniversary of the iMac, we asked its biggest fans — those who own one — to tell us how it changed your lives during the past two years. This is what you wrote...

Should You Have Macs On Your Network As Well As PCs? (TechRepublic)
<http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml;$sessionid$CMCILIIAAATJQCTEAAMCFFQ?id=r00320000818det01.htm>

Corel's Interim CEO: Hire Me (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2617066,00.html>
Derek Burney replaced CEO Michael Cowpland on an interim basis. But he says he wants the job for keeps.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Reflections On The Aqua UI (Wincent.org)
<http://wincent.org/showpage.php3?article=opinion/000819aqua.php3>
We believe that Aqua, and OS X, could turn out very well indeed. We were sceptics at first, as is no doubt evident from the tone of this article, but we're coming around. It's interesting to see how one can never tell the way the future will go.

Apple's Unsung Hero? (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/08/13/0818demos.html>
If you are willing to give Bill Clinton even partial credit for the current economic boom, then he may well be the unsung hero in Apple's financial recovery.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

Apple Studio Display (CNET)
<http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1043-404-2428443.html?tag=st.co.1016.bhed.1043-404-2428443>
If you have a Power Mac G4 Cube or a Power Mac G4 made after July 2000, the new Apple Studio Display is a good--but pricey--choice.

Hoodman E2000 (MacNN)
<http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/hoodman/hoodman.phtml>
Reasonably priced at $40, the E2000 is without question a must-have device for anyone who does, or desires, to work outside the confines of their office or abode.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

PC Makers Get Early Crack At Windows Me (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2555745.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
PC makers have started shipping the Windows Me system a month ahead of their scheduled release.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ====================

Napster: Throw Out The Case! (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2617445,00.html>
In an appeals court brief, Napster says a lower court blew it big time by misinterpreting federal law.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

Making The Net Safe For Democracy (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/448262.asp>
The Republican and Democratic party platforms each outline skeletal Internet policies their administrations promise to advance. Neither party, however, hangs very much meat on those bones. It’s mostly gristle, and just as hard to swallow.

Digital Copyright Act Come Back To Haunt Consumers (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg081800.htm>
The judges' rulings validate one of the industry's undisguised goals -- to make criminals of consumers who simply want to be able to use the digitally created products they've bought in ways analogous to the completely legal process of making a cassette dub of a music album.

Napster: Throw Out The Case! (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2617445,00.html>
In an appeals court brief, Napster says a lower court blew it big time by misinterpreting federal law.

Look, Ma, WAP Service Without Phone (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber1_0819.html>
The payphone-based service lets people access Web-based content without picking up a WAP phone.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

The Meteoric Rise Of Linux (Inter at ctive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2616549,00.html>
Linux stocks are headed for a cautious and steady rise, because the technology is not only sound, but is gathering strength fast.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Bots Till You Drop (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/Shopping/00-08-16/Shopping.asp>
Comparison-shopping search engines are good for consumers, bad for monopolists. By Bruce Gottlieb.

Sexless In Washington (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/sex/feature/2000/08/18/tarloff_candidates/index.html>
The shameful exposure of Bill Clinton's penis means the next president will not be allowed one.

When Magazines Lose Their Charm (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/08/18/pcmag/index.html>
Old-fashioned computer periodicals don't make much sense anymore. How much time do the new business journals have left? By Scott Rosenberg.

The Failure Of New Media (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/current/index_wb3968.html>
The media business has invested a lot of money and hope in the Internet over the past three years. So far, it has been a disappointment.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

A Relook At Policies On Marriage And Procreation (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2000/08/19/singaporenews34618.htm>
The aim is to encourage Singaporeans to get married and have babies early to help address Singapore's declining birth rate.

Lee: Both Sides Must Give And Take (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2000/8/18/nation/1802szso&sec=main>
Malaysia and Singapore could solve their bilateral problems in two or three months provided both sides are willing &quot;to give'' on key issues, Singapore Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew said yesterday.

Why Upgrade? It's Time To Get Back To Basics (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin21_0819.html>
Does it help promote community ties? Does it give old estates a fresh lease of life?

Principles Governing Operations Of Co-Ops (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for5_0819.html>
Tan Kin Lian, Chairman, Singapore National Co-operative Federation: Members should be aware that the quantum of the rebate and the manner in which it is distributed has to be decided by the board of directors and approved at the general meeting. The terms of the rebates are, therefore, subject to change.

Census Had Been Drafted With Care (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for2_0819.html>
Fiona Yip, Assistant Census Superintendent for Census Superintendent, Census of Population Office, Singapore Department of Statistics: The list of data items in the census was considered carefully by an inter-ministry Census Planning Committee.

SM's Visit &quot;Will Enhance Bilaterial Ties With KL&quot; (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri4_0819.html>
&quot;We are always positive to any action to enhance ties between Malaysia and Singapore. I believe his visit will work towards enhancing bilateral ties.&quot;

Shorter Wait For MRT Commuters (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri3_0819.html>
The SMRT is adding 16 new trains for the morning peak hours between 8 am and 9 am starting Tuesday, to cope with the increasing number of passengers.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Pacific Internet Is Still For Sale (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2000/08/18/20000818m.html>

Look, Ma, WAP Service Without Phone (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber1_0819.html>
The payphone-based service lets people access Web-based content without picking up a WAP phone.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

Winds Of Change At Substation (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life4_0819.html>
This week, Nominated MP Jennifer Lee handed over the position of chairman of the board of directors to businessman K. C. Chew.