[Retros] Dead Reckoning Aspects of Massacre SPGs.

Andrew andrew at anselan.com
Mon Feb 2 23:24:26 EST 2004

Francois, congratulations on your amazing Massacre SPG results, and Gerd &
Norbert congratulations that your earlier results are confirmed.

One of the x=4 SPG is disallowed because there the last capture takes place
in a dead position (2 bishops, same colour).

However, Dead Reckoning might in fact *enable* a massacre position to be
SPG. Suppose there is a position with 2 bare kings on the board which can be
reached by 2004 different proof games. However, in 2003 of these proof
games, the last capture is a minor piece, while in the 2004th, the last
capture is a major piece. Voila, the holy grail would be found!

I discussed this with Paul Raican a while ago, but I think it may be worth
revisiting with your program/hardware Francois.

Cheers,
Andrew.